New sub or 2 subs?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi folks,

I have an Onkyo 875 and Tannoy revolution speaker package with a Mordaunt Short MS309i sub. I'm going to upgrade the sub but which would be better-buy an identical sub and run 2 together or invest in one higher end sub? Don't have a budget set-I'm flexible enough.

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Definately 2 subs !

I use two identical subs, its not about having loads more bass but by using two it evens out everything more. it sounds much more well balanced IMO

Once youve had two theres no going back. And as for you asking how would you connect two subs mgillespie05 youd just use a two way splitter.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice guys-I believe you can use the line out on the back of the sub as the loop to the next sub?

mgillespie05

Jul 1, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that, its a bit like 7.1 over 5.1 , 2 more speakers and stands but what a difference even with 5.1 as its mixad into the others couldnt see myself changing altough got a great price on jamo c809 5,1 set up mmmmmmm well under 4000 euro.

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
daherne1:Thanks for the advice guys-I believe you can use the line out on the back of the sub as the loop to the next sub?

So far as I understand on most subs where the line out has been designed to feed a stereo amp for the full range speakers it has been put through a high pass filter so the main stereo amp need not try to reproduce the lowest notes already taken care of by the sub.

If thats the case, they are unsuitable for feeding a second sub.

A splitter should work fine.

My preference is to use 2 subs if you can accomodate them. It takes a little more setting up and fiddling but the result is a more even frequency response over a wider area, less power demand and reduced cone excursion for each sub to achieve the same volume.
There are arguments for four subs too, but the gains seem less than going from 1 to 2 subs.

The downside is the cost of upgrading. That ones playing on my mind as I think about a pair of BK Monoliths to replace my Acoustic Energy subs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts