New speakers?

plastic penguin

Well-known member
Apr 28, 2008
1,553
20
19,695
Tis a really a hypothetical question (possibly). If I were to replace the TB2i, I've come up with a short list or wish list:

* Monitor Audio PL100

* Totem Mani 2

* Harbeth of some description

This is obv all subject to a dem or three, but I know people on here (past member 'Voodoodoctor') who say the MA PL range is a really good match with Leema. I know the cheaper Totems are also a good match. Not sure, however, about the Harbeth and Leema.

It is all about synergy, synergy, synergy.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be a good starting point
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
1
0
I don't like MA or Totem...so a bit Hobson's Choice.

I would add Diapason to your list that might work with the Tucana.
 

insider9

Well-known member
Sep 20, 2016
734
293
5,270
I agree synergy is everything. Unfortunately Leema will somewhat limit your choice. It's a good problem to have though and worthy sacrifice :)

Is there any aspect of your current system that you would like to improve in particular? Is vinyl your main source or is it split? Also how is your vinyl setup tonally? Neutral on the warmer/brighter side?
 

Macspur

Well-known member
May 3, 2010
77
0
18,540
plastic penguin said:
Tis a really a hypothetical question (possibly). If I were to replace the TB2i, I've come up with a short list or wish list:

* Monitor Audio PL100

* Totem Mani 2

* Harbeth of some description

This is obv all subject to a dem or three, but I know people on here (past member 'Voodoodoctor') who say the MA PL range is a really good match with Leema. I know the cheaper Totems are also a good match. Not sure, however, about the Harbeth and Leema.

It is all about synergy, synergy, synergy.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be a good starting point
I tried the Totems a few years ao, instore demo and they sounded very good, but home demo was awful.. way too bright.

Don't know that model of MA's but have read some good reviews and well you know what I think about Harbeth... if you could lay yor handson some SH or ex dem SHL5+'s I reckon they would be a good match, or even Spendor.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com
 

nopiano

Well-known member
Feb 15, 2009
114
21
18,595
Not sure there are any I can suggest apart from something on the smooth side, maybe Sonus faber Venere in either stand or floor mounted types (I think there are at least three sizes of floorstanders).

But this makes me wonder why a Leema amp seems so choosy if it is so good. It cannot be neutral, surely, and yet that is what Hi-Fi is about. Not getting in the way or imposing an artifice or character that’s not in the original source. Just wonderin’.
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
The tucana but if it sounds like I imagine from reading people thoughts then a speaker like the ATC scm40s could possibly sound very good but I may be wrong
 

plastic penguin

Well-known member
Apr 28, 2008
1,553
20
19,695
@nopiano: IME Leema isn't that choosy when it comes to speakers. Given I've owned Leema since 2010 I've tried most of the well known brands without any real issues.

@insider9: No issues with current sound quality. The amp is very neutral but sources are slightly smoother which, to my ears, gives it a great tonal balance.

@Mac: I will try some Harbeths nearer the time.

@Cno: I know you've never been a fan of Totem or MAs, but think a lot boils down to synergy, which worked well with the Pulse. Upping the anti to higher end gear (MAs also with ribbon tweeter) might make you think again.
 

plastic penguin

Well-known member
Apr 28, 2008
1,553
20
19,695
Andrewjvt said:
The tucana but if it sounds like I imagine from reading people thoughts then a speaker like the ATC scm40s could possibly sound very good but I may be wrong
It needs to be stand mount speakers, and good at playing at idling levels, so something like SCM19s could be an option.
 

insider9

Well-known member
Sep 20, 2016
734
293
5,270
nopiano said:
It cannot be neutral, surely, and yet that is what Hi-Fi is about. Not getting in the way or imposing an artifice or character that’s not in the original source.  Just wonderin’.
I've been wondering myself. My theory is this and please bear in mind that's with 3 speakers I've tried number of sources. Different speaker positioning and DSP filters. And in under 2 weeks of use.

There's several factors. First is the extension and the indiscriminate treble. With the wrong speaker/source combination you may hear more than you bargained for. But that's not the main reason. I think what makes this amp so good is how it handles dynamics and as such that it has bite. It has this Naim like quality. This excitement may be tiresome particularly with the wrong kind of speakers. But if it's the kind of sound you're after it will deliver you goosebumps from drum passages alone. As to tonality it is neutral. But again this means if you pair it to a bright source/speakers you will have a bright sounding system. Add the two above and it'll be unlistenable.

From my observations ideal scenario would be quality rich sounding perhaps smooth source. Plus neutral not harsh in treble speakers.
 

insider9

Well-known member
Sep 20, 2016
734
293
5,270
plastic penguin said:
@insider9: No issues with current sound quality. The amp is very neutral but sources are slightly smoother which, to my ears, gives it a great tonal balance.
Cross post. I agree. Wonder what you make of my observations.
 

Al ears

Moderator
Nov 23, 2008
1,551
498
20,070
The Totem Mani 2 Signatures may be out of your price range but these are, I am led to believe, somewhat better than the originals. These would be my choice from your list but then I have no idea as to your room or indeed your hearing.

Failing this I too would suggest you add Spendor to your list.
 

plastic penguin

Well-known member
Apr 28, 2008
1,553
20
19,695
As mentioned in your thread it's a little tricky to give a definitive answer, mainly because your speakers will no doubt sound different to my PMCs. That said, I can understand some of it: Dynamics and detail. But I've never found any of my Leemas bright or harsh. What it gives to the HFs is a very controlled sound, as with LFs. Reggae music is a joy.
 

plastic penguin

Well-known member
Apr 28, 2008
1,553
20
19,695
Al ears said:
The Totem Mani 2 Signatures may be out of your price range but these are, I am led to believe, somewhat better than the originals. These would be my choice from your list but then I have no idea as to your room or indeed your hearing.

Failing this I too would suggest you add Spendor to your list.
I doubt whether I could ever afford new Manis, but some do come onto the s/hand market from time to time.

Whatever speaker it needs to be a hefty upgrade to my current ones. They are stonking for their price bracket.
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
1
0
I think the LS50 would work really well, as it's much more capable than the price suggests, when driven by an Amp of the quality of the Tucana.
I know you've heard them, but there would be a big leap in performance.

I'm not a particular fan of B&W, but have heard good things about the 705 S2.
 

nopiano

Well-known member
Feb 15, 2009
114
21
18,595
plastic penguin said:
Andrewjvt said:
The tucana but if it sounds like I imagine from reading people thoughts then a speaker like the ATC scm40s could possibly sound very good but I may be wrong
It needs to be stand mount speakers, and good at playing at idling levels, so something like SCM19s could be an option.
I’m usually a bit wary of recommending brands I own, but if you want a lack of clutter in mid and treble and a punchy but tight bass, then a nice sealed box ATC could be perfect. They have a benign impedance though are a shade less sensitive than average.

This is a fascinating piece on loudspeaker design history and a partial review! https://www.stereophile.com/content/fifth-element-85
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
nopiano said:
plastic penguin said:
Andrewjvt said:
The tucana but if it sounds like I imagine from reading people thoughts then a speaker like the ATC scm40s could possibly sound very good but I may be wrong
It needs to be stand mount speakers, and good at playing at idling levels, so something like SCM19s could be an option.
I’m usually a bit wary of recommending brands I own, but if you want a lack of clutter in mid and treble and a punchy but tight bass, then a nice sealed box ATC could be perfect.  They have a benign impedance though are a shade less sensitive than average. 

This is a fascinating piece on loudspeaker design history and a partial review!  https://www.stereophile.com/content/fifth-element-85
Has plenty of watts to drive the ATC
And on the plus side they are not too current hungry with only slight dips from 8 - 5 ohms.

Highly second an audition at home with the ATC 19s

Warning: they are not small.
 

MUSICRAFT

Well-known member
nopiano said:
but if you want a lack of clutter in mid and treble and a punchy but tight bass, then a nice sealed box ATC could be perfect. They have a benign impedance though are a shade less sensitive than average.
Hi nopiano

curved SCM19 passive monitors were the first loudspeakers i used with our Tucana MK2 Anniversary Edition with. You could just hear the palpabilty as the SCM19’s reveled in the Tucana’s high power/high current capability.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
 

Frank Harvey

Well-known member
Jun 27, 2008
567
0
18,890
SCM19 should be listened to but as others said definitely home demo. I also noticed someone mention the B&W 705 again these are another speaker I would consider we have been really impressed by these when we have demonstrated these in store and listened to them. Another speaker I would also consider are Proac Studio 100.
 

nopiano

Well-known member
Feb 15, 2009
114
21
18,595
MUSICRAFT said:
nopiano said:
but if you want a lack of clutter in mid and treble and a punchy but tight bass, then a nice sealed box ATC could be perfect. They have a benign impedance though are a shade less sensitive than average.
Hi nopiano

curved SCM19 passive monitors were the first loudspeakers i used with our Tucana MK2 Anniversary Edition with. You could just hear the palpabilty as the SCM19’s reveled in the Tucana’s high power/high current capability.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Thanks, Rick. Seems like I needn’t have been tentative then! But looks like PP is just pondering, though not everyone is convinced!
 

chris_bates1974

Moderator
Feb 28, 2013
96
33
10,570
Listened to these last week, and they are rather good!

Can't comment about comparison to the others on the list though. Only, as in my post on the audition, that to my ears at least they were significantly better than Dali and ProAc speakers in the same price bracket.
 

plastic penguin

Well-known member
Apr 28, 2008
1,553
20
19,695
nopiano said:
MUSICRAFT said:
nopiano said:
but if you want a lack of clutter in mid and treble and a punchy but tight bass, then a nice sealed box ATC could be perfect. They have a benign impedance though are a shade less sensitive than average.
Hi nopiano

curved SCM19 passive monitors were the first loudspeakers i used with our Tucana MK2 Anniversary Edition with. You could just hear the palpabilty as the SCM19’s reveled in the Tucana’s high power/high current capability.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Thanks, Rick. Seems like I needn’t have been tentative then! But looks like PP is just pondering, though not everyone is convinced!
Aye. But it is just dipping my toe into the forum opinion.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS