New Speakers

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
Room size is a consideration as is placement as these are going in the main living room which is about 6m x 4m. The speakers fire across the central section of the longest length (I've had them firing the other way and they sound terrible!).

That's very suitable for planar magnetics. Just saying...

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
shadders said:
Infiniteloop said:
I'm getting ready for a new pair of speakers and I have a healthy budget due to Mrs loop giving me the green light to spend some of last year's bonus!

I have PMC Fact 12, KEF Reference 3 (the 5's and the blade 2's are too big for my listening rooms, the Fact 12's might not work either...), Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution (love my SF Cremona Auditors and their bigger brother is more handsome too) & Magico S1 on my audition list.

Any other recommendations? - Actives are definitely off the menu.
Hi,

To annoy Mrs Loop, why don't you buy some DIY speakers (ATC from Wilmslow), and a shed to build them in, so you have a reason to do some pottering whenever you like.

DIY builds can be very satisfying once completed too.

Regards,

Shadders.

It's really best not to annoy Mrs Loop. She's being very good about the new speakers and I'm planning a TT next.....

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
stereoman said:
Go find a dealer and have a listen to the most impressive speakers recently released - "Heco Direkt". All major UK dealers should already have them in stock - if not ,I think they should rethink why they postpone it...

Unfortunately, aesthetically, these are not going to work in our lounge.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
Infiniteloop said:
I'm getting ready for a new pair of speakers and I have a healthy budget due to Mrs loop giving me the green light to spend some of last year's bonus!

I have PMC Fact 12, KEF Reference 3 (the 5's and the blade 2's are too big for my listening rooms, the Fact 12's might not work either...), Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution (love my SF Cremona Auditors and their bigger brother is more handsome too) & Magico S1 on my audition list.

Pehaps something that already has a SAM profile (or whatever it's called) available if you are using the Devialet.

SAM is most definitely a consideration. I'm not going to change the Devialet 200 (although I might add a slave at some point) as I've heard nothing better.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
DocG said:
Infiniteloop said:
the 5's and the blade 2's are too big for my listening rooms, the Fact 12's might not work either...

Is that the dimensions of the speakers? Or the room they need to do their thing?

Do you need new best friends for your Unison or for the Devialet? For both, I suppose?

It would be great if I could find speakers that work with both. To be honest, I think the S8 could drive most things.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
ellisdj said:
If you demo Kef reference 3 bear in mind the port bungs makes a huge difference to the sound signature long or short. Make sure you try both. Short is as designed long drops of the bass much earlier

They are also easy but stubborn to change

I auditioned the Ref 1 last year and wasn't that impressed (maybe I was just having an 'off' day), but I think floorstanders might be a different proposition. They look good too!

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:
Magico of some type, as already proposed, and I'd want a listen to the smaller models from Wilson Audio. I heard the Sabrinas a few months ago and thought they were terrific. And anything you've not heard from Sonus faber, naturally!

Much as I like the affordable KEFs, including the References, I've never got along with Blades, though many swear by them. I gather B&W are the best selling big speakers, though can't recall where I read that.

Would Magnaplanar or Martin Logan appeal? Lastly, for something traditional yet bang up to date, I'd want to hear Harbeth 40.2 (c£10k).

The Magico S1's are on my list. They are discrete but stylish and not too deep. Apparently they sound fabulous with Devialet too.

I've had Martin Logan's before and they just don't work in the room they would be destined for ( they seemed to push the music right into your face so that the effect was really uncomfortable. Apparently they don't play well with Devialet and I think my S8 would struggle too).

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
DocG said:
nopiano said:
Would Magnaplanar or Martin Logan appeal?

+1. You owe it to yourself to try panel speakers, and compare to good box speakers. See what each does better, and what matters most to you.

Other suggestion: Diapason. The Adamantes 25th Anniversary have a SAM profile, and they match superbly with the UR too. And a joy for the eyes (which IIRC is also important)!

What about Vivids (K1, G4)? More of a love or loathe design though. And not sure how they perform with valves... But at the end of a Devialet: oh yes!

I auditioned the Adamantes a while ago. Unfortunately I found them a little coloured but loved the aesthetics. They work well with valves too, as you said.

The Vivids would be a struggle to get past Mrs Loop.....

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
stereoman said:
If you have a healthy budget go then for not only good sounding speakers but also beautiful looking ones. "Magico S1" , "Raidho X 1" , "GamuT Phi 7" , new "Heco Dreiklang" or "Leema Acoustics Xeta" etc.

They have to look good. It's a condition dictated by Mrs Loop. I personally think the SF Guarneri's are the most handsome speakers ever made, but I want to explore all options. I like the look of Radho's too. The Magico is handsome, understated and discrete (like me I guess *biggrin*).

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Infiniteloop said:

Can I ask how big your listening room is? I run Fact 12's in a room measuring 4.5m x 5.5m and get good results. I used to run them with a Devialet 800 and they had great synergy.

My room is 6m x 4m. The only issue I can see with the Fact 12's is how deep they are. With their placement necessitating a 'long wall' position, they may project too far into the room. I use both pairs of my current speakers in turn only about a foot from the back wall and both are rear ported. Interestingly, there are no problems with too much bass and the soundstage is fine. I have used ProAc D18's in this position too and they were really good. The Martin Logans I had just did not work however.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
Infiniteloop said:
plastic penguin said:
The new Monitor Audio Platinum range might be worth checking out. As would Wilson Benesch ranges (Arc, Discovery...)

Lots to look at there....

Not exactly sure what your budget is but don't forget the Americans.

If you can you really should audition the YG Acoustics Carmel 2's.

Budget up to £15K (at a push).

Infiniteloop said:
Al ears said:
Infiniteloop said:
plastic penguin said:
The new Monitor Audio Platinum range might be worth checking out. As would Wilson Benesch ranges (Arc, Discovery...)

Lots to look at there....

Not exactly sure what your budget is but don't forget the Americans.

If you can you really should audition the YG Acoustics Carmel 2's.

Budget up to £15K (at a push).

That's them out of the equation then. However there are other U.S. brands available in UK now and I certainly would not ignore them. I us a pair myself, the Acoustic Zen Adagios, and quite frankly I, at the time, had not heard a European speaker that performed as well for the same money.

gowiththeflow said:
Infiniteloop said:
Budget up to £15K (at a push)....

Are you sure you can squeeze the Magico S1's in under your budget (assuming buying new)? They retail upwards of £17k IIRC.

The budget is also below Raidho territory, apart from the very small stand mount models and the smallest floorstanders in their "budget" X and XT range. You might be able to squeeze in the smallest C series stand mounted model though, with a bit of bargaining.

z

The latest S1 mk2 is going for around £17,900. The original in a basic finish could be had for £13,900 but I haven't a clue as to where you would get them from.

May be cheaper in the States. As always with American speakers it can be very difficult to find a UK stockist.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
tonky said:
I'd love to hear how those speakers sound. I remember hearing the Jim Rogers 149 speakers in a demo about 35 years ago. They lacked bass extension and were very inefficient but had such a clarity and a spacious 3d image of the music. Other speakers I heard sounded so much flatter. I ended up buying something more efficient for my A and R A60 amp.

I regretted not buying them in years to come . (Very expensive pre-owned) I often wonder why some speaker manufacturers do not pursue this cylindrical (steel? ) design. At a reasonable price.

How much do the ATC EL150SE's cost and do they have a similar sound signature to the JR149 speakers? (ie wonderfully spacious clear 3d sound).

cheers tonky
I have two pairs myself, after growing up on them in the 70s as my dad had a pair. I loved them back then, and still love them now. At one point, I temporarily used a 3.0 system with JR149s, and while I as a little scared to push them, they still sounded great, although there was a hint of harshness creeping in.

For anyone who has a pair, if you take the bottom plate off, you'll see a small potentiometer, which varies the HF unit - I used to do this to my dad's pair to suit my ear. I don't know whether my dad ever noticed...

They do lack low end bass (they're small!), but like the LS50s, the bass they do have is nicely balanced. I too have wondered why some manufacturer hasn't copied the design, particularly now we have more efficient Class D amplification (as I was using with mine).

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
Al ears said:
The latest S1 mk2 is going for around £17,900. The original in a basic finish could be had for £13,900 but I haven't a clue as to where you would get them from......

I think the S1 mk2 now starts at £17,998 (£18k), ranging up to £23k, depending on the finish.

There are a few UK dealers. At least 3 that I can think of offhand, in London, Oxford and near Poole in Dorset. There may be others.

z

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
Budget up to £15K (at a push)....

Are you sure you can squeeze the Magico S1's in under your budget (assuming buying new)? They retail upwards of £17k IIRC.

The budget is also a bit too low to reach into Raidho territory, apart from the very small stand mount models and the smallest floorstanders in their "budget" X and XT range. You might be able to squeeze in the smallest C series stand mounted model though, with a bit of bargaining.

z

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
gowiththeflow said:
Al ears said:
The latest S1 mk2 is going for around £17,900. The original in a basic finish could be had for £13,900 but I haven't a clue as to where you would get them from......

I think the S1 mk2 now starts at £17,998 (£18k), ranging up to £23k, depending on the finish.

There are a few UK dealers. At least 3 that I can think of offhand, in London, Oxford and near Poole in Dorset. There may be others.

z

Ah, didn't realise they'd gone to a MK2 version. - Price probably counts them out then.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
tonky said:
I'd love to hear how those speakers sound. I remember hearing the Jim Rogers 149 speakers in a demo about 35 years ago. They lacked bass extension and were very inefficient but had such a clarity and a spacious 3d image of the music. Other speakers I heard sounded so much flatter. I ended up buying something more efficient for my A and R A60 amp.

I regretted not buying them in years to come . (Very expensive pre-owned) I often wonder why some speaker manufacturers do not pursue this cylindrical (steel? ) design. At a reasonable price.

How much do the ATC EL150SE's cost and do they have a similar sound signature to the JR149 speakers? (ie wonderfully spacious clear 3d sound).

cheers tonky
I have two pairs myself, after growing up on them in the 70s as my dad had a pair. I loved them back then, and still love them now. At one point, I temporarily used a 3.0 system with JR149s, and while I as a little scared to push them, they still sounded great, although there was a hint of harshness creeping in.

For anyone who has a pair, if you take the bottom plate off, you'll see a small potentiometer, which varies the HF unit - I used to do this to my dad's pair to suit my ear. I don't know whether my dad ever noticed...

They do lack low end bass (they're small!), but like the LS50s, the bass they do have is nicely balanced. I too have wondered why some manufacturer hasn't copied the design, particularly now we have more efficient Class D amplification (as I was using with mine).

Thanks Daave - nice to hear from another fan - I mentioned in another post about something similar in kit form. Pre-owned prices on fleabay look pretty high. Nostalgia (and good quality sound) comes at a high price it seems

cheers tonky

Infiniteloop said:
gowiththeflow said:
Al ears said:

z

Ah, didn't realise they'd gone to a MK2 version. - Price probably counts them out then.

You may still be able to find a Mk.1 somewhere possibly.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi Loops

A bit late to the party here, been away for a week.

All speakers I would have suggested have been already mentioned, but thank you for introducing the most interesting thread on the forum for quite some time.

Good luck with the search, I will be following it with avid interest.

Btw, do you plan to part ex on either the Focals or SF's? you might get a deal for the Magico MK2 if so.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts