New Speakers

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting ready for a new pair of speakers and I have a healthy budget due to Mrs loop giving me the green light to spend some of last year's bonus!

I have PMC Fact 12, KEF Reference 3 (the 5's and the blade 2's are too big for my listening rooms, the Fact 12's might not work either...), Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution (love my SF Cremona Auditors and their bigger brother is more handsome too) & Magico S1 on my audition list.

Any other recommendations? - Actives are definitely off the menu.

shadders

Infiniteloop said:
I'm getting ready for a new pair of speakers and I have a healthy budget due to Mrs loop giving me the green light to spend some of last year's bonus!

I have PMC Fact 12, KEF Reference 3 (the 5's and the blade 2's are too big for my listening rooms, the Fact 12's might not work either...), Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution (love my SF Cremona Auditors and their bigger brother is more handsome too) & Magico S1 on my audition list.

Hi,

To annoy Mrs Loop, why don't you buy some DIY speakers (ATC from Wilmslow), and a shed to build them in, so you have a reason to do some pottering whenever you like.

DIY builds can be very satisfying once completed too.

Regards,

Shadders.

Hi Infiniteloop

Focal Sopra 2?
regular_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Go find a dealer and have a listen to the most impressive speakers recently released - "Heco Direkt". All major UK dealers should already have them in stock - if not ,I think they should rethink why they postpone it...

shadders

Infiniteloop said:

Infiniteloop said:

Pehaps something that already has a SAM profile (or whatever it's called) available if you are using the Devialet.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
the 5's and the blade 2's are too big for my listening rooms, the Fact 12's might not work either...

Is that the dimensions of the speakers? Or the room they need to do their thing?

Do you need new best friends for your Unison or for the Devialet? For both, I suppose?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
If you demo Kef reference 3 bear in mind the port bungs makes a huge difference to the sound signature long or short. Make sure you try both. Short is as designed long drops of the bass much earlier

They are also easy but stubborn to change

Magico of some type, as already proposed, and I'd want a listen to the smaller models from Wilson Audio. I heard the Sabrinas a few months ago and thought they were terrific. And anything you've not heard from Sonus faber, naturally!

Much as I like the affordable KEFs, including the References, I've never got along with Blades, though many swear by them. I gather B&W are the best selling big speakers, though can't recall where I read that.

Would Magnaplanar or Martin Logan appeal? Lastly, for something traditional yet bang up to date, I'd want to hear Harbeth 40.2 (c£10k).

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
nopiano said:
Would Magnaplanar or Martin Logan appeal?

+1. You owe it to yourself to try panel speakers, and compare to good box speakers. See what each does better, and what matters most to you.

Other suggestion: Diapason. The Adamantes 25th Anniversary have a SAM profile, and they match superbly with the UR too. And a joy for the eyes (which IIRC is also important)!

What about Vivids (K1, G4)? More of a love or loathe design though. And not sure how they perform with valves... But at the end of a Devialet: oh yes!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You might consider putting ART and GamuT on your list....I haven't heard either, so can't give personal insight.

I have heard Audio Physic, which were quite good.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I've been impressed by Vienna Acoustics previous generation of speakers. They're some of the nicest passives that I've heard so it might be worth looking at some of them second hand.

Alternatively the Vienna Acoustics Klimt Kiss speaker from their current range could be worth checking out. Based on the size of the other speakers that you've mentioned it looks about the right for your room.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I it was my money to spend id only consider ATC SCM100 PSLT (Passive) you will be able to get a pair for about the same as the fact 12s.

Although i respect your wish not to go active cant understand why you wish the passive handicap.

Andrewjvt said:
I it was my money to spend id only consider ATC SCM100 PSLT (Passive) you will be able to get a pair for about the same as the fact 12s.

Although i respect your wish not to go active cant understand why you wish the passive handicap.

Here we go.....

I was with you up to suggesting the ATC's....... ;-)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts