New speakers or DAC?

Edgarr

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I have a late 2012 Mac Mini core i5 with 16GB RAM. A few years ago I ripped my 300+ CD collection to FLAC. I've noticed that my music doesn't sound quite as good as it did in my old system, a Windows 7x64 with an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card.

Now I'm no audiophile but I do enjoy my music and want it to sound as good as my budget will allow. So my question is this: should I upgrade my speakers (M-Audio Studiophile AV-40) or should I purchase a DAC? My budget is around £150.

I have been researching for the past week and rather like the look of the Audioengine D1 DAC. This should hopefully clean up the audio through my speakers AND boost my headphone listening pleasure (I have the AKG K550).

I also like the look of the M-Audio BX5 D2 powered monitors. I listen to most of my music whilst sitting in front of the Mac, so nearfield monitors suit my purposes amicably (I don't have the space for a separate amp/passive speakers).

So, should I get the speakers then save for the DAC, or vice versa?

Many thanks, in advance...

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
to be honest, the m-audio 2496 imho sound absolutely fab and are often overlooked due to their price (bloody hifi snobs ;) ), and that's the main difference I think, so myabe see if you can dem the DAC before changing anything else. Either that or go back to a system that would allow you to use the m-audio :)

Edgarr

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your reply...

I think I had more or less convinced myself that a DAC would be my best option but thought I'd just ask for an expert opinion first.

Thanks again.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
A better DAC will improve the sound but better speakers nearly always make a bigger difference. But if the same speakers sounded better on your old PC than they do on your Mac Mini, then go for a new DAC.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts