New speakers needed...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have decided to sell my Cyrus 8vs2 amp and B&W CM5's as unfortunately the sound was overall too bright at times and the wife wasn't keen on the gloom back speakers... I've sold both and easily made my money back on them so very happy to not be out of pocket!

Ive now decided to build a system around an Arcam Alpha 10 integrated amp with music still from iTunes/my iMac via a Lindy DAC.

Currently I'm running some Acoustic Energy AE109 speakers which to be honest, sound absolutely amazing. More so for e fact I got them for £55 and they're immaculate for 12 year old speakers!

Unfortunately they're finished in a rose wood colour and they don't go well with the living room furniture so they'll have to go in the spare room with an old Arcam Alpha 6 amp I've got and a kenwood CD player.

Im thinking of some standmount speakers still and the ones that have caught my interest are the KEF R100's and the Dynaudio DM 2/6's or the 2/7's.

Ive heard the KEF's before on the end of my old Melody Media and they sounded amazing (so did the R300's but they're way out of budget)! Haven't heard the Dynaudios though unfortunately.

Music tastes range from Pink Floyd to Metalica to Chicago House music & Hed Kandi to stuff like Trentmoller & Jamiroquai so I like the bass to be deep & punchy but without sacrificing the midrange/ top end etc...

The Arcam Alpha 10 is a powerful amp so it'll manage the speakers fine; won't it?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Has anyone any thoughts re the above and whether the Arcam will manage the speakers ok?

Has anyone heard the KEF's or Dyns in more depth as I've only heard them in passing and unfortunately no one near me sells the Dyns!

A

Anonymous

The Dynaudios are very good, i had a pair of DM2/7s and loved them, they're fairly easy to drive and not fussy about placement, they'll give you the bass and punch you're looking for, plus they've a lovely crisp but sweet top end, so no brightness. I don't know anything about the Kefs but suspect they'll be less warm sounding.

Nad_fanatic said:
I have decided to sell my Cyrus 8vs2 amp and B&W CM5's as unfortunately the sound was overall too bright at times and the wife wasn't keen on the gloom back speakers... I've sold both and easily made my money back on them so very happy to not be out of pocket!

Ive now decided to build a system around an Arcam Alpha 10 integrated amp with music still from iTunes/my iMac via a Lindy DAC.

Currently I'm running some Acoustic Energy AE109 speakers which to be honest, sound absolutely amazing. More so for e fact I got them for £55 and they're immaculate for 12 year old speakers!

Unfortunately they're finished in a rose wood colour and they don't go well with the living room furniture so they'll have to go in the spare room with an old Arcam Alpha 6 amp I've got and a kenwood CD player.

Im thinking of some standmount speakers still and the ones that have caught my interest are the KEF R100's and the Dynaudio DM 2/6's or the 2/7's.

Ive heard the KEF's before on the end of my old Melody Media and they sounded amazing (so did the R300's but they're way out of budget)! Haven't heard the Dynaudios though unfortunately.

Music tastes range from Pink Floyd to Metalica to Chicago House music & Hed Kandi to stuff like Trentmoller & Jamiroquai so I like the bass to be deep & punchy but without sacrificing the midrange/ top end etc...

The Arcam Alpha 10 is a powerful amp so it'll manage the speakers fine; won't it?

Thanks

Hi Nad_fanatic

What is the size of your room?

Is the room lightly or heavily furnished?

Room positioning of the new speakers (distance to walls, corners, will there be anything between the speakers such as a chimney breast, cabinet, windows etc.)?

Distance between the speakers?

Listening distance?

Your general listening level?

Your maximum budget?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

MUSICRAFT said:
Nad_fanatic said:

Thanks

Hi Nad_fanatic

Room positioning of the new speakers (distance to walls, corners, will there be anything between the speakers such as a chimney breast, cabinet, windows etc.)?

Listening distance?

Your maximum budget?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi

Room is about 15ft long and 10ft wide

Living room with carpeted floor, a rug in the middle and a long soft against the back wall (opposite the Hifi set-up) and 2 other chairs so it's a good listening room with no harshness issues etc...

Speakers are about 3m apart and general listening distance is about 3m away also; sat in the sofa I'm right at the sweet point of the speakers if they're on 600mm stands... Our av unit is in between the speakers with the tv on top which is sat around 1ft behind the speakers.

General listening level can be quiet or loud (dependent upon music and mood); usually if loud we'll be about doing house work etc but if listing to jazz or some pink Floyd etc then it's quiet to mid level volume... With being a huge fan of house music though and some electronica like Trentmoller or Mount Kimbie; I do like the music to be kicking at times :D

Budget is around £500 and ideally 2nd hand but may look at ex-dem etc...

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Nad_fanatic said:
Any further thoughts anyone? Rick?

Funny isn't it that suddenly Rick doesn't seem to be interested in you any more. I wonder if it had anything to do with you posting your budget and wanting to buy second hand????

Strange that eh????????????

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
relocated said:
Nad_fanatic said:

Funny isn't it that suddenly Rick doesn't seem to be interested in you any more. I wonder if it had anything to do with you posting your budget and wanting to buy second hand????

Yes, heaven forbid someone could have a day off or be busy

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I usually found the better models in the old Ruark range worked well with Arcam. I'd recommend looking out for the Ruark Sceptre, which were around £550-600 new, so you should get some well within your budget. They're a wonderfully agile speaker with plenty of life to them.

Nad_fanatic said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Nad_fanatic said:

Thanks

Hi Nad_fanatic

Listening distance?

Your maximum budget?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi

Room is about 15ft long and 10ft wide

Living room with carpeted floor, a rug in the middle and a long soft against the back wall (opposite the Hifi set-up) and 2 other chairs so it's a good listening room with no harshness issues etc...

Speakers are about 3m apart and general listening distance is about 3m away also; sat in the sofa I'm right at the sweet point of the speakers if they're on 600mm stands... Our av unit is in between the speakers with the tv on top which is sat around 1ft behind the speakers.

General listening level can be quiet or loud (dependent upon music and mood); usually if loud we'll be about doing house work etc but if listing to jazz or some pink Floyd etc then it's quiet to mid level volume... With being a huge fan of house music though and some electronica like Trentmoller or Mount Kimbie; I do like the music to be kicking at times :D

Budget is around £500 and ideally 2nd hand but may look at ex-dem etc...

Hi Nad_fanatic

Thanks for your reply.

I am sorry for my late response as i've been busy.

I think you're on the right track with Dynaudio's DM 2/6 and DM 2/7 speakers. As good as DM 2/6's are however for a modest premium DM 2/7's do offer even greater scale, depth, dynamics, mid range detail and power handling.

Alternatively for used/discontinued speakers you might also find Dynaudio's Contour 1.1 or if you're lucky contour 1.3's for your budget.

Anyway all four speakers will suit the genre of music that you listen to and be a good tonal match for the Alpha 10 amplifier. Btw, the Alpha 10 has got good quality and quantity of power to manage these speakers.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

relocated said:
Nad_fanatic said:

Hi relocated

Rotel RA-1062, Marantz PM94, B&W ASW675, Krell KAV-400i, ATC SIA2-150 MK1, Rotel RCD965BX, Audiolab 8000A, NAD C370, etc. These are just some of the used/discontinued components which i've already recommended to Forum members. In some instances i've even done so without a member having to ask for used/discontinued product/s.

Btw, i don't deal with used components.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies... I'll keep my eye out re the Dynaudios; just a shame they rarely come up ex-dem/2nd hand etc...

Any thoughts on the KEF R100's?

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Nad_fanatic said:
Any thoughts on the KEF R100's?

I demod the R100's when I bought my spendor SA1's recently. For the money they are excellent speakers, and the single source uniQ driver gives amazing imaging. I personally found it a little too bright with my Cyrus 8xpd as the amp (compared with the spendors at least) however i did seriously consider going with the cheaper Kefs over the spendors. With arcam tho I would think it could be a match made in heaven.

Surprisingly good and deep bass for the size and given that it is a single driver. IMO tho you really want the R300's >)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
To be fair, anything will sound bright when compared to a Spendor :)

KEF and Arcam have always gone well together, but do bear in mind the Alpha 10 isn't quite as warm sounding as the rest of the Alpha range.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts