New speakers...Monitor Audio, need advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I need some advice on the new speakers.

I can get the speakers mentioned below for a really good price and I want to stick to this brand of speakers because of that.

The Monitor Audio RX6, RX8, GS10, GS20 or the Apex set 2.1,
but I have a very difficult time to make a choice.

My Receiver is Pioneer SC-LX83
My room is about 30m2
70% music / 30% movies

I’m thinking about the GS20 but I don’t know if it’s a wise thing to do as they cost 600 euro more than the RX6 and 200 euro more than the Apex 2.1 set with the sub.

The problem is that de hifi shop is 120km from here, so I’d really want to make up my mind before I go there and I need you’re advice guys.

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Will they not let you sit down and listen to them for a good while and compare?? If they're serious about selling them than they should do so. Only you will know if you can hear the 600 euro difference.

A

Anonymous

I dont think the gold is worth the price now that they have platinum and gold tech in the new RX6

I have the RX6 and SC-LX72 and its amazing.

A

Anonymous

@ Peter

they will but I need some opinion and advice before I go there. Please do
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Well theres certainly nothing wrong with the RX6 as mentioned above. The GS20 are a slight improve but as to whether it's worth that much outlay is up to you. I personally would probably stick with RX6 and invest the rest in something else.

Like bungie jumping.

scene

canada16:
I dont think the gold is worth the price now that they have platinum and gold tech in the new RX6

I have the RX6 and SC-LX72 and its amazing.

+1 on that - I'd be looking at the RX6 (not the RX8 - as I think it's too bass heavy) vs. maybe the Apex (but only if you've got a small room, or partner approval is an issue).

As you mention the "Apex 2.1 set" - are you only looking at getting a stereo pair, or are you looking at a full 5.1 setup?

A

Anonymous

thanks guys for your advice.

My room is 30m2 and I think I will use the speakers mainly 70% for music and 30% for moves.

The Apex 2.1 with the AW12 sub cost 450 euro more then the RX6.

If I will get the RX6 speakers with the RXW-12 sub then it will cost other 450 more.

But then again will I need the RXW-12 sub for the moves with RX6 speakers?

A

Anonymous

it will certainly make a big improvement for movies. Unless you watch chick flicks.

Try Iron Man 2 on for size with the sub on in the opening scene and then with the sub off. Big difference

scene

Peter Foate:
it will certainly make a big improvement for movies. Unless you watch chick flicks.

Try Iron Man 2 on for size with the sub on in the opening scene and then with the sub off. Big difference

Agree wholeheartedly on this, but, IMO sub's only really worth getting if it's part of a full 5.1 set up (e.g. RX6 AV12), rather than a pair of RX6 on their own. And, given the size and bass capabilities of the RX6 if it came down to RX6 + Sub, or RX6+RX-LCR+RXFX (i.e. 5.0 setup) because of budget, I'd be tempted to go for the latter and get a sub at a later date.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
inthemooed:
Hi, I need some advice on the new speakers.

I can get the speakers mentioned below for a really good price and I want to stick to this brand of speakers because of that.

The Monitor Audio RX6, RX8, GS10, GS20 or the Apex set 2.1,
but I have a very difficult time to make a choice.

My Receiver is Pioneer SC-LX83
My room is about 30m2
70% music / 30% movies

I'm thinking about the GS20 but I don't know if it's a wise thing to do as they cost 600 euro more than the RX6 and 200 euro more than the Apex 2.1 set with the sub.

The problem is that de hifi shop is 120km from here, so I'd really want to make up my mind before I go there and I need you're advice guys.

Thanks!

Do you already have the Pioneer? If so, I would get the Apex 2.1 or the RX6s. If not, I would go for a similar priced stereo amp and the Rx6s.

A

Anonymous

@ scene

Thanks for your advice, very useful!
emotion-21.gif
I'm thinking to get 5.1. setup, finally..
My room is not so big and I would like to know how far from the wall you can place the RX6?

A

Anonymous

Yes I do have Pioneer LX83 already and I need the speakers very soon! Can`t wait any longer...
emotion-5.gif

scene

inthemooed:
@ scene

Thanks for your advice, very useful!
emotion-21.gif
I'm thinking to get 5.1. setup, finally..
My room is not so big and I would like to know how far from the wall you can place the RX6?

30m2 isn't so small. My room is 5.8x6.4m and I use a 5.1 set up of (currently) Monitor Audio Silver 8i (Great grand-daddy of the RX), RS-LCR and RXFX, with the sub from my KEF2005.2 at the moment. I've got my Silver 8is about 15-20cm from the back wall, but a long way from the side walls. I think they'd sound better in the 25cm range, but small people prevent that. Depends on your room layout, furnishings, etc. You could bung the rear ports, if necessary. I've found that a little bit of toe-in helps as well, both for focus and reducing direct reflections.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
inthemooed:Yes I do have Pioneer LX83 already and I need the speakers very soon! Can`t wait any longer...
emotion-5.gif

I would get the RX6s as fronts with the RXLCR centre speaker and the rest of the Apex as surrounds with the AW-12 subwoofer. It would sound amazing!!

scene

Gerrardasnails:inthemooed:Yes I do have Pioneer LX83 already and I need the speakers very soon! Can`t wait any longer...
emotion-5.gif

I would get the RX6s as fronts with the RXLCR centre speaker and the rest of the Apex as surrounds with the AW-12 subwoofer. It would sound amazing!!
I hadn't considered that option - do you recommend it because of room size and/or because you think the combo is better suited for the OP's setup than a straight RX6 AV setup, or just because of budget?

I only ask, as with my combo I'm wondering whether to go for the RXW12 or get an RSW12 - I hadn't even thought about the AW-12...

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
scene:Gerrardasnails:inthemooed:Yes I do have Pioneer LX83 already and I need the speakers very soon! Can`t wait any longer...
emotion-5.gif

I hadn't considered that option - do you recommend it because of room size and/or because you think the combo is better suited for the OP's setup than a straight RX6 AV setup, or just because of budget?

I only ask, as with my combo I'm wondering whether to go for the RXW12 or get an RSW12 - I hadn't even thought about the AW-12...

Budget and size really. Going from a 2 or 2.1 to a 5.1 with large rear speakers is a big jump. I have the Radius R90s as my rears. As for subs, I've not heard the AW12 but if you can get an RSW12, go for it!!

scene

Gerrardasnails:Budget and size really. Going from a 2 or 2.1 to a 5.1 with large rear speakers is a big jump. I have the Radius R90s as my rears. As for subs, I've not heard the AW12 but if you can get an RSW12, go for it!!
Fair points - yes, I'd forgotten what a shock to the system those big MAs were... And I've not got my RXFX fully set up to my liking yet, but I can imagine they could be very over-powering, especially if your listening position was to close, or they were too near a rear wall...

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:inthemooed:Yes I do have Pioneer LX83 already and I need the speakers very soon! Can`t wait any longer...
emotion-5.gif

Gerrardasnails, thanks for your advice. it's been very useful!!
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi guys, I got today another call form different dealer, pfff
He told me to look to the Spendors SA1 speakers instead of RX6.
For now I'm looking only for the 2.1 Setup and those Spendors looks really nice in zebrano with the stands.
The dealer don't know if the SA1 will be a good match with the Pioneer LX83 and can only ship those speakers(good price to). I hoop for some input from you guys, any advice please..

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
i dont think that the spendors would disapoint you as they are good speakers, would even be good for movies backed up with a good sub. quite different to the rx6's tho and i think you really need to listen to whatever you choose (preferably at home using your own amp). if you can try the spendors on sale or return then why not give em a go.

A

Anonymous

bluebrazil:

i dont think that the spendors would disapoint you as they are good speakers, would even be good for movies backed up with a good sub. quite different to the rx6's tho and i think you really need to listen to whatever you choose (preferably at home using your own amp). if you can try the spendors on sale or return then why not give em a go.

Hi bluebrazil, thanks for your advice. I know that I need to listen to them first but the dealer can only ship them. I deed some research and I think that those Spendors are better speakers then the RX6. The question is: can the Pioneer lx83 handle them, that is my worry with those beauties....

@David fromFrank Harvey, do you have any thots one this one?

P.S. sorry for my English it's not so good..
emotion-10.gif

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
inthemooed:bluebrazil:

Hi bluebrazil, thanks for your advice. I know that I need to listen to them first but the dealer can only ship them. I deed some research and I think that those Spendors are better speakers then the RX6. The question is: can the Pioneer lx83 handle them, that is my worry with those beauties....

emotion-10.gif

The Spendors are better but, I think they are wasted on an AV receiver personally. If you were going for a stereo amp, I would agree with the dealer but your receiver will never get the best out of them. And for movies, the RX6s will give more bottom end.

scene

Gerrardasnails:inthemooed:bluebrazil:

emotion-10.gif

The Spendors are better but, I think they are wasted on an AV receiver personally. If you were going for a stereo amp, I would agree with the dealer but your receiver will never get the best out of them. And for movies, the RX6s will give more bottom end.
+1 on that. Though...

You could get the spendors iff you got a decent stereo amp. You could use the pre-outs on the sc-lx83 to run to the stereo amp (one with processor / fixed gain mode) and have the stereo amp power the spendors. Plumb two channel sour es directly into the stereo amp; this could give you the best of both worlds, but would cost more and I'm not sure if the pioneer's mcacc processing handles this.

Just a thought.

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:inthemooed:bluebrazil:

emotion-10.gif

Thanks Gerrardasnails for your advice, but do you really think that the lx83 can't handle the sa1?

Hey guys, someone... any advice.with lx83 and spendor Sa1, any one?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
inthemooed:Gerrardasnails:inthemooed:bluebrazil:

emotion-10.gif

Thanks Gerrardasnails for your advice, but do you really think that the lx83 can't handle the sa1?

Hey guys, someone... any advice.with lx83 and spendor Sa1, any one?

I'm not saying that but the Pioneer won't get the best out of the Spendors.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts