New Speakers and Amp - Advice needed

A

Anonymous

Hi, I’m desperately looking for advice on a new amp and speakers. Since I’m not an expert, I visited several shops but each time come out with different and conflicting information… Speakers: my preferred options would be the MA RX8 or the B&W CM8 Amp: I was advised that with the MA, the best option is the NAD C375BEE, or the Arcam FMJ a32 or a38. Another shop advised the B&W in connection with a Music Hall a25.5 and yet another with the Musci Hall 35.5 (which the first shop said would be too heavy for the speakers…). Any advice is welcome, as well as other options ! Thanks again for advising me !

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
There are plenty of amp and speaker combinations that you can buy for less then £2000 that sound better than the MA / B&W / NAD / Arcam / Music Hall combinations.

Trouble is your local dealers won't stock them. They'll be 2nd hand and the speakers will have lower Wife Acceptance Factor than the MA's or B&W's. I'd be happy to make a few recommendations if you're interested in this approach?

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for your replies.

I'd be happy to have some other suggestions than the ones I mentionned.

The room size is approxiamtely 50m2, and music choice is pop/rock.

Thanks !

Indowhat said:
Hi, I’m desperately looking for advice on a new amp and speakers. Since I’m not an expert, I visited several shops but each time come out with different and conflicting information… Speakers: my preferred options would be the MA RX8 or the B&W CM8 Amp: I was advised that with the MA, the best option is the NAD C375BEE, or the Arcam FMJ a32 or a38. Another shop advised the B&W in connection with a Music Hall a25.5 and yet another with the Musci Hall 35.5 (which the first shop said would be too heavy for the speakers…). Any advice is welcome, as well as other options ! Thanks again for advising me !

Yes, the MAs are best with any amp that doesn't provoke fatigue: Arcam, Nad, Creek, Roksan Kandy, Audio Analogue, midrange Yamaha, Leema* and any valve-based amp.

Brands to avoid: Rotel, Cyrus, budget Marantz, Cambridge Audio, budget Yamaha...

The above is not set in stone, depends heavily on room acoustics and source.

If you go with B&W the perfect partner is Rotel, Roksan, Quad, Yamaha.

The best advice is to audition afew combinations and decide for yourself.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Good, 50m squared is big enough to house some proper sized speakers.

For speakers with far better bass than the MA's or B&W's combined with better dynamics go for large sealed boxes such as Yamaha NSM1000's or Goodmans Magisters or Bozak Symphonys or Concert Grands.

For speakers with far better dynamics, more detailed midrange, slightly better bass than the MA's or B&W's go for horns or horn hybrids such as: Altec Model 19's, EV Sentry III's or IV's, Klipschorns.

Amps might depend upon the speakers. Some of the speakers I've mentioned are not amplifier fussy and will sound great with solid state or valve amplification. Some, such as the Klipschorns will sound best with a SET valve amplifer. Some will sound best with solid state amps such as Quad 303's or 405's or 909's or Exposure IV's or VIII's or A&R A60's, or Marantz PM 4's. Some will sound best actively bi-amped with solid state for the bass and valves for the midrange and treble.

There are lots and lots of other speakers and amps that I've not mentioned that would sound really good and cost less than 2 grand.

A

Anonymous

Thanks a lot for these suggestions, Lindsayt.
I'll definitely go an try out your suggestions !

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your advice ! This makes is much clearer.

I'll also try out some of the suggestions made by Linsdayt !

THanks again.
Indowhat

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts