New speaker

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I've finally decided to replace my heybrook sextets. They still sound good but I'm sure I can get much better - things must have moved on in the last 14 years.

The new speakers will be partnered with some Naim kit of a similar age - a NAP 62 and a pair of 135 monos.

The sextets cost me about a grand 14 years ago so I'm expecting to spend from a grand to three grand. My musical tastes have changed a bit and I'm less into acoustic and vocal than I was and want an exciting sound from dance music mostly - though I still want to put a record on from time to time and listen to tracey Chapman or the the rolling Stones.

Source will be either my laptop with a suitable dac (yet to be decided on), an audionote record player or a Naim CDS (I think, thats about 13/14 years old too and cost 3.5 k at the time ).

Recommendations would be appreciated - floor standers would probably suit me best.

Thanks

Roy

RoyS said:
Hi,

I've finally decided to replace my heybrook sextets. They still sound good but I'm sure I can get much better - things must have moved on in the last 14 years.

The new speakers will be partnered with some Naim kit of a similar age - a NAP 62 and a pair of 135 monos.

The sextets cost me about a grand 14 years ago so I'm expecting to spend from a grand to three grand. My musical tastes have changed a bit and I'm less into acoustic and vocal than I was and want an exciting sound from dance music mostly - though I still want to put a record on from time to time and listen to tracey Chapman or the the rolling Stones.

Source will be either my laptop with a suitable dac (yet to be decided on), an audionote record player or a Naim CDS (I think, thats about 13/14 years old too and cost 3.5 k at the time ).

Recommendations would be appreciated - floor standers would probably suit me best.

Thanks

Roy

Hi Roy

I would appreciate it if you could help with the following please -

The size of your room?

Is the room lightly or heavily furnished?

Room positioning of the new speakers (distance to walls, corners, will there be anything between the speakers such as a chimney breast, cabinet, windows etc.)?

Distance between the speakers?

Listening distance?

Your general listening level?

Interconnects and speaker cables are?

Your budget?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Monitor Audio's RS-6 (secondhand) or RX-6, leaves you money for the DAC. I would not spend to much money if you are in that kind of music. Even for me, liking classical, jazz, worldmusic and singer/songwriter, 1500,- would be the limit. There's always better!

A

Anonymous

The size of your room? about 25 * 14

Is the room lightly or heavily furnished? average really, carpets curtains a couple of sofas, sideboard

Room positioning of the new speakers (distance to walls, corners, will there be anything between the speakers such as a chimney breast, cabinet, windows etc.)? probably not that good. currently placed on the long side about half way down - long watt from the corners and pretty close to the wall - to be honest I'd like speakers that were happy close to a wall.

Distance between the speakers? about 9ft

Listening distance? about 13ft

Your general listening level? not particularly loud when I sit an listen but when Im doing stuff I like to crank it up a bit

Interconnects and speaker cables are? naim interconnects and currently naim cable

Your budget? up to 3 grand but I don't have the urge to spend it all if i don't have to.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

The size of your room? about 25 * 14

Is the room lightly or heavily furnished? average really, carpets curtains a couple of sofas, sideboard

Room positioning of the new speakers (distance to walls, corners, will there be anything between the speakers such as a chimney breast, cabinet, windows etc.)? probably not that good. currently placed on the long side about half way down - long watt from the corners and pretty close to the wall - to be honest I'd like speakers that were happy close to a wall.

Distance between the speakers? about 9ft

Listening distance? about 13ft

Your general listening level? not particularly loud when I sit an listen but when Im doing stuff I like to crank it up a bit

Interconnects and speaker cables are? naim interconnects and currently naim cable

Your budget? up to 3 grand but I don't have the urge to spend it all if i don't have to.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Mmm, the Neats seem interesting and I've seen them recommended with Naim kit before so I guess i should have a listen. Spendor 6 and proac (the two grand ones) also seem to be recommended. Anyone actually with kit on here?

Thanks

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The Sextets were designed to work right up against a wall, and I think you'll struggle to replace them with something else purely based on that advantage. ATC work well close to a wall, but you'd need to be looking at the SCM40/SCM20's minimum.

Neats generally produce a fair amount of bass, so like a bit of room, and even though the ProAcs are 'side ported', they too prefer a little room. Spendor work pretty well against a wall, but I'm dubious as to whether the A6's will get the job done - I think you may have to look at the A9's.

Most, if not all of the Monitor Audio and B&W ranges are going to be pretty useless because of your placement requirements as most of them are rear ported. Other manufacturers like PMC,

Personally, I think you'd be better off with a high quality stand mount model. Try the KEF Reference 201/2's, which are ported upwards, and also have 'room boundary' controls, allowing you to cut the bass by 2dB for close wall placement. Treble can also be adjusted. If you're feeling adventurous, you could even try the 203/2 floorstanders. The PMC Fact 8's are also worth looking at as they have similar controls too, and are easier to place than other PMC models.

Even though the Sextets might be 15-20 years old and possibly outclassed in one or two areas compared to more modern speakers, their bass depth and quality was on par with the KEF Reference 103/4's at the time (similar price to Sextets), which I find very few speakers produce nowadays. I do think you'll struggle to find a replacement below £2k.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
The Sextets were designed to work right up against a wall, and I think you'll struggle to replace them with something else purely based on that advantage. ATC work well close to a wall, but you'd need to be looking at the SCM40/SCM20's minimum. Neats generally produce a fair amount of bass, so like a bit of room, and even though the ProAcs are 'side ported', they too prefer a little room. Spendor work pretty well against a wall, but I'm dubious as to whether the A6's will get the job done - I think you may have to look at the A9's. Most, if not all of the Monitor Audio and B&W ranges are going to be pretty useless because of your placement requirements as most of them are rear ported. Other manufacturers like PMC, Personally, I think you'd be better off with a high quality stand mount model. Try the KEF Reference 201/2's, which are ported upwards, and also have 'room boundary' controls, allowing you to cut the bass by 2dB for close wall placement. Treble can also be adjusted. If you're feeling adventurous, you could even try the 203/2 floorstanders. The PMC Fact 8's are also worth looking at as they have similar controls too, and are easier to place than other PMC models. Even though the Sextets might be 15-20 years old and possibly outclassed in one or two areas compared to more modern speakers, their bass depth and quality was on par with the KEF Reference 103/4's at the time (similar price to Sextets), which I find very few speakers produce nowadays. I do think you'll struggle to find a replacement below £2k.

This is better advice than given by me, as I didn't know about the need to be in close proximity to the wall. I also had it in my head that 201/2s were outside your budget, or I would have recommended them - I would rather put this down to jet lag, than senility.

I own 205/2 and think the Kef Reference series should be on your auditon list - even if it pushes your budget to the limit.

If there is leeway to bring the speakers further into the room, then my former advice still stands - though Kef Refs would be my first choice (obviously).

Cno

A

Anonymous

Hi David and Cno,

The kefs look pretty and pretty interesting. PMC fact 8 also look pretty nice. My speakers are currently a couple of feet out and a long way from the sidewalls. The sextets sound "nice" but I want more excitement. I can spend a bit more but I thought things had moved on so much that I wouldn't need to.

Do these all work well with naim stuff. I listened to some very large Kef ref 104(i think) and they were exciting and room filling. That was a long time ago so there is probably a modern equivalent.

Roy

A

Anonymous

Hi David and Cno,

The kefs look pretty and pretty interesting. PMC fact 8 also look pretty nice. My speakers are currently a couple of feet out and a long way from the sidewalls. The sextets sound "nice" but I want more excitement. I can spend a bit more but I thought things had moved on so much that I wouldn't need to.

Do these all work well with naim stuff. I listened to some very large Kef ref 104(i think) and they were exciting and room filling. That was a long time ago so there is probably a modern equivalent.

Roy

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Altec Model 19's. Or something similar.

Floorstanders. Work well close to the wall. Not amplifier nor cable fussy.

Sound really good at low volumes and high volumes. Exciting, dynamic sound.

Cost about £1500 for a pair in good cosmetic condition. You're most likely to find a pair in the USA or Germany or the Far East.

When it comes to speakers, there has been one major improvement in the last 14 years: the Internet. It is now very easy to do a bit of research on great classic speakers, such as the Altec 19's, combined with the global online market for someone wishing to buy or sell them.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
RoyS said:
Hi David and Cno,

The Heybrooks were quite laid back, so I can understand your quest for something a little more lively. A well designed, good sounding speaker usually stands the test of time, even if things move on a little bit.
You say you have yours a couple of feet out - that means that most of my recommendations will end up being a little closer as they're much deeper than the Sextets, but as I've said, that won't be much of an issue with those mentioned anyway.

Roy

With 135's, your system should have a decent amount of grip over any of those I've recommended. I tend to find that neutral amplification generally matches most speakers, but which one you prefer the sound of is really a personal preference. Back in the days of the 135's, we used to use Reference 105/3's quite a lot - stunning - although the nearest replacements to these would be 205/2's.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
What strikes me strongly as I read trough this thread, is how necessary it is for you to find a knowledgeable dealer, given the money you could end up spending. It is vital that they have an in depth understanding of the speakers they sell (suitability for your needs re positioning etc) and preferably (but not essential) have been in the game long enough to be familiar with your kit.

Use demos in their shop to narrow down your choice and then insist on a home demo, as speakers can sound quite different depending on their enviroment.

Keep them long enough to make sure that you can live with the "more exciting" sound without fatigue (I've read a post today, where speakers were tried at home for 3 weeks)......and make sure that any speakers that you test have been "run in".

Good luck with your search, and report back with how you get on.

Cno

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
RoyS said:
Hi David and Cno,

Roy

I bought my current Dynaudios when I had an 'Olive' Naim pre/power (102/140). They never lacked excitement then, and sound much better still on my current setup. Hence I can recommend Dynaudio, but maybe not great near walls...

You seem to have decided that speakers are your best solution, but maybe there is another way. Why not think about changing your Pre-amp instead of your speakers? You have a top class source and power amps, so a NAC202 or 282 (or even a used 102) will be a clearer window to your music, and probably provide a bit more drive to dance music, making the most of those awesome power amps (jealous by the way!).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts