New speaker Time... discreet quality required

PeterMac

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site
The time has come for me to look at purchasing speakers to complete my hifi set up. Very exciting and i've spent the last couple of weeks (years actually *ROFL*) rigorously researching.

The room in generally 3m wide x 8m long, ceiling is bog standard modern build height of roughly 2.3m. We have a couch breaking up the space between living space and dining space. There's a sliding conservatory door at the back, and almost room wide window at the front. There's also a couch beneath the front window, though that will change once our 3 year old grows up a bit and we can trust her not to destroy any new furniture whilst we're not looking! To the left of the window is where our TV is as that's where all of the cabling comes in and there's power. HiFi is located up the other end of the dining space. I'd like to have the speakers located in the TV end of the room, so i'm looking at between 8 and 12m of cables for each speaker (or 12m for both just to be sure). Floor is laminate (may change in future) and there's a big fluffy rug just in front of where the speakers will be over to the couch. Listening position will be varied, as it's rare that I get a chance to sit still when the music is on.

I listen to mostly UK indie rock (charlatans are MY band) as well as lighter rock, pop, and 90s style garage house. I also love bands like Flock of Seagulls, Dire Straits etc... I appreciate all music, as long as it's not too heavy. I appreciate deep lows but also like to hear a deep and wide soundstage with clear detail, but not so bright. Something fun.

Amplifier is Cambride Audio Azur 651a.

So, on to what I'm thinking. I have Richersounds vouchers, so anything should be available from there. I have yet to audition, but will do in the coming weeks. Looking to have the speakers in place in mid Feb.

Ideal world, i'd have something like the Tannoy XT6F, but I think something of that size may be too big for the better half to be happy with. I've been looking to see if there's a more subtle solution. I always thought I could maybe get away with something like the Cambridge Min 22s in each corner of the room mounted in the corner of the ceiling, backed up with a sub. I don't think the top end would keep me happy though. I've been looking at stand mounts from KEF, Monitor Audio, Q Acoustics, and it's more recently that I discovered that the Tannoys seem to work with other people's Cambridge amps. I have found that Tannoy also make the XT mini and this could be paired up with the TS2.8 subwoofer to achieve the bottom end that I like. Would the XT6 be that much better than the mini to justify the extra outlay? Also have been reading about the Elac UNI-FI UB5 SLIM which may fit the bill.

Any other options out there that I should be auditioning? Something similar to the XT6F, but not as tall? Acoustic Energy 109 look to fit the bill but aren't available from Richer Sounds.

This is a big outlay for me so I want to get it right, hence the reason i'm asking here. I'd say £600 is probably my budget, but prepared to spend a wee bit more to get it right.

Thanks for any help!

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Go to Richer Sounds & demo everything on your list, they'll let you take your own amp & source along too.
In my experience RS are brilliant & won't try to sell you anything you don't need or want, they also do 7 day exchange or refund if you're not happy, you really can't go wrong.

Edit
I seem to remember they're even doing home demos now where they bring the stuff to you, might be some T&C but knowing RS they'll be fair ones

Another edit
Home visits are for installation only, sorry

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

The only problem with richer sounds is most speakers they sell are around this type of price, you dont tend to get well and beyond for your money. They also sell a lot of c--p but I agree service is A1.

Id go to audio T and demo speakers around a grand and then look to deals and discounted lines around half that price, so you are listening to stuff you will eventually buy at a discount, not stuff of the same RRP you will buy, which an awful lot of people do. Katching.

It really depends how much time you want to spend on it, but it sounds like you want to give it good consideration.

PeterMac

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Id go to audio T and demo speakers around a grand and then look to deals and discounted lines around half that price, so you are listening to stuff you will eventually buy at a discount, not stuff of the same RRP you will buy, which an awful lot of people do. Katching.

Should have said I live in Edinburgh so Audio T (i'd never heard of them) are out of the question - and as I said, I have RS vouchers.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Not keen on RS, had a poor experience at one of their dealers. I prefer 7oaks if you have one near you. Can pick what you want to hear, left alone to play what you like, never any pressure to buy. RS was a hassle for them to set anything up, neither of the 2 players I wanted to hear and buy even worked. Such a waste of time. Also 7oaks has a much wider range and better quality. Tannoys get a mixed response, quite a few people buy them cheap from places like RS but then find they don't like them. Choosing speakers should not be rushed. Kefs may work with your amp. Can't you move the hifi to near the TV?

Oh I see Edinburgh, why not go to a hifi shop? Hi-Fi Corner? With all that cabling maybe the vouchers at Richers will cover that.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Plus one to bigh, check out some independents first.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Gaz37 said:
Go to Richer Sounds & demo everything on your list, they'll let you take your own amp & source along too. In my experience RS are brilliant & won't try to sell you anything you don't need or want, they also do 7 day exchange or refund if you're not happy, you really can't go wrong.

Edit I seem to remember they're even doing home demos now where they bring the stuff to you, might be some T&C but knowing RS they'll be fair ones

Another edit Home visits are for installation only, sorry
And 5 years warranty on all speakers

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Acoustic Energy's new 109 has received a good review. Small, good looking and apparently fun and warm sounding.

Under budget and I think RS do AE.

Have not heard them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts