New speaker conundrum

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I'm new on here but have been around hifi for a few years so please go easy on me for my first post!!

I'm looking for some new speakers for my system which comprises Arcam cd72, Audiolab 8000s, Audiolab 8000sx bi amping a pair of Kef q7 loudspeakers. The system is connected from Kimber Reference mains cables, Kimber Silver Streak interconnect (attenuated to -19db) and the same between amps, with kimber 4TC for high and Kimber 8TC for low speaker inputs.

The Kefs were mainly bought for the AV set up that I have now ditched in my back to basics system. The listening room/position has also changed due to some building work so whereas before they faced down the length of a 6x4 they now face across.

It has very quickly become apparent that the speakers are now totally and utterly wrong. The bass is muffled, muddy, boomy and generally horrid.

I have pretty much come to the conclusion that a decent pair of standmounts will be the way to go. All the usual suspects are there Kef R100/300, MA GX50/100, Epos Epic 1 and B&W CM1/5. Any thoughts on these choices are welcomed as are any further suggestions, but my worry is more to do with the supports and I shall explain why.

Over the years I've tried all sorts of HiFi/AV stands from all sorts of manufacturers Atacama, Sound Style, Mana Accoustics, Apollo but there has always been a feeling that the systems have all sounded harsh and unnatural and no matter what I done I just couldn't get things how I wanted them.

After the recent move around in the listening room (what the wife calls the living room) I was in the process of looking for the next generation of rack. I just couldn't decide what to get, even to the point that one day in Ikea just as a temporary measure I bought a white TV stand for £41.

What followed was absolutely gobsmacking and really shattered all that I had been lead to believe. The system sounded so natural and rythmic it was unreal. Needless to say this is without doubt the best value stand I have ever bought. All that metal and glass over the years done by some Swedish egg shell!!

Unfortunately it couldn't do much for the bass problems hence the speaker change, which would have been necessary whatever the system had sat on.

I've been around long enough to know that final decisions are made on listening tests and the process of elimination but as speaker stands seem to be made of metal or glass or both has anyone got any ideas.

By the way sorry for the War and Peace length of my first post, I promise any future ones will be more concise.

Best wishes to all.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi and welcome.

Any idea of budget? this will help narrow it down a bit.

Alan Shaw, designer of Harbeth, uses small side table from Ikea for speaker stands.

Cheers

Mac

A

Anonymous

Hi Mac,

That's very interesting.

Budget wise don't really mind as long as they work. Just open to any ideas TBH.

Cheers.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
OK.

Well you won't go far wrong with Harbeth P3ESR or even better Super HL5, which imo is a perfectly balanced speaker, with crystal clear top end, beautiful expansive mids and the base isn't too shabby either, although some people prefer more in that department.

Others on here would champion the likes of PMC and KEF, but unfortunately I've not had first hand experience with these brands, so unable to comment.

Cheers

Mac

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts