new speaker cable to reduce brightness?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys
emotion-1.gif

Could you please recommend me some speaker cable, I will need a total of 6 meters of biwire cable (cut into two 3m runs) I have a slightly bright sound at the moment and would like to take the edge of the treble. I know cables can't fix a bad sound and I really like the sound my kit produces, but I think I could do with calming the very edge of the treble.

I currently use QED silver anniversary (not the newer XT) biwire. I have been told this is a bright sounding cable. Could you please point me in the direction of some "less bright" cables. Happy to spend as little as possible up to about £10 - 12 per meter. Will consider spending a bit more if its really going to be worth.

thanks in advance.
emotion-21.gif

Face.

A

Anonymous

The Chord SS will do just as you ask and given your budget is about the right price. The general consensus however is a more expensive single run of cable will outperform a cheaper cable biwired, so if I were you and if you can push to £15/m would be thinking about the Odyssey 2. I can vouch that it is a tremendous cable.

T

the record spot

Try and get something with a solid core copper content - I use 10 year old Audioquest Type IV. Great cable, tames bright kit, but depending on how bright you are going to be going, think about an i/c too which will do the job. I use Audioquest Copperhead - terrific VFM at £60. Rounds off the harsh edges but not at the expense of detail or musicality.

A

Anonymous

thanks for the thoughts, ill have a look the the suggested cables. I do need to runs of cable for each speaker as I biamp. Unless I use my arcam 7r as a preamp and my 8p as the power amp. Not sure whats best to do now.

A

Anonymous

I had the silver ani for a while and it made my system too harsh and clinical, swapped it back for some bog standard QED original and it gave it enough warmth to become a great listen.

A

Anonymous

Save your cash and use 1mm or 1.5mm solid core mains T and E you can remove the E if you wish, but it makes little difference.

T

the record spot

the record spot:Try and get something with a solid core copper content - I use 10 year old Audioquest Type IV. Great cable, tames bright kit, but depending on how bright you are going to be going, think about an i/c too which will do the job. I use Audioquest Copperhead - terrific VFM at £60. Rounds off the harsh edges but not at the expense of detail or musicality.

I should add that the AQ Type IV is no longer available, I think, but check AQ current product for a similar cable.

A

Anonymous

I think I am going to have a try with some QED 79 strand copper cable, I've been looking on line and can buy for £1.50 per meter so for less than £20 I can see what difference the copper cable makes. Having never really listened to cables before and I am a little sceptical as to the difference cables make. I guess if I hear a difference (be it better or worse) with 20 quids worth of cable then it will be worth considering others.

thanks for the help and the QED suggestion. I'll let you know in a week or so what happens.

Sliced Bread

Hi,

Up until about a month ago I used to use the older QED silver anniversary cable too. I had a similar problem to you with the sound a bit to harsh in the top end. I have changed this to the Chord Odyssey 4 (biwire) version and it has worked a treat. The top end is much more natural, however I have heard that Chord Silverscreen will also be less bright. When I spoke to Chord in November they said that they are releasing a bi-wire version about 10-12 pounds a meter, which may be worth an audition.

A

Anonymous

Atlas Hyper 2.0 for a little over your budget at £15 a metre.

RobGardner

Jul 22, 2008
Visit site
I'm in the Chord Odyssey camp, a great sounding cable which you will have to spend mega money to significantly improve upon. I prefered it to the more expensive Epic cable as I thought the Odyssey 2 had a more rounded bottom end.

A

Anonymous

Grimly Fiendish:Different speakers may be the only way.

I'm with Mr Fiendish, if your system is bright, look at the components and above all the speakers first. What are they, by the way?

Cables can in theory and in practice make a tiny difference, but not enough to turn a bright system into a warmer sounding one. Plus, you need one hell of a good system before you'd be able to spot the difference cables can give you, anyway.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts