New Sky 1TB Boxes - Faulty

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am currently on my second Sky 1TB box, the first when playing live or recorded HD content resulted in picture break-up, this appeared to be when recording a second channel, but I have since noticed it when no other channel is being recorded (unless it was downloading VOD). The break-up was every couple of minutes and really effected the viewing experience. The second box has exactly the same issues, as directed by Sky I have carried out the system rebuild, system re-set and re-booted the box, but this makes no difference. A Sky engineer is calling over the weekend and I am fully expecting that my faulty Sky 1TB box will be replaced by a brand new faulty 1TB box! Sky insist that they have no knowledge of this fault, but I have been on several forums across the internet and this problem is common place and I know other disappointed customers have contacted them, so Sky are lying! I would be interested to hear of other peoples experiences with the new Sky box. Another fault which I have forgotten to mention is when outputting sound through the optical cable there is a significant difference in volume between the dolby digital and standard sound, which causes issues when changing channels between the two, it appears that Sky have released a bug ridden, substandard product....again....will I never learn!

A

Anonymous

I had two of the new 500gb boxes and it kept giving me this ear piercing beep everytime my amp switched from DD 5.1 to PCM.

They advised it was my amp, I had enough, phoned them back as I pay lots for a full pack, and demanded they try the old box as my old box never did this.

Engineer came out, really nice guy and said he and most engineers were well aware of the problems with the 500gb and 1tb boxes and they told sky, but they dont want another Pace incedent so they are seeing how many people complain before they do anything.

Well got the old box back in and guess what....... No beep.

So this is now 8 boxes in 13 months, sky boxes are a joke,never had this with virgin HD... and if virgin had more HD chanells I would leave.

A

Anonymous

Hello,

Oh mate,it sounds like you've had a lot of bad luck.

I have had the new 1TB box now for about three or four weeks and have had no issues with picture breakup, and I have been frantically recording anything in HD, somedays several times recording two things at once. I do have the issue with the sound volume differences between HD channels and SD channels, but I just change the volume, although it is slightly annoying. I will have to say though that I am very impressed with picture and sound. Although I have recently installed a mains conditioner also. But I noticed that when the skybox was first installed, the sound and picture wasn't that impressive, but with time it seemed to have improved A lot, and now I am very impressed and very pleased that I got the new box.

I hope your next box comes without any picture issues, good luck.

A

Anonymous

Well there is hope then....we'll see, your post is the first one I have seen where it isn't having a go at the 1TB box. I also use the Sony 2400 amp, so at least I know that isn't causing my issues! Thanks for the positive news and I will see how I get on this Saturday....

A

Anonymous

Engineer came today...without a box and I wasn't at home, he took a look at the dish and checked all the cabling and connectors. He seemed pretty convinced that would sort it...I've put a Sky HD movie on, same picture break-up, this error is not just effecting recorded content its any 'live' HD content. Spoke to Sky, an engineer is coming Monday PM....with a replacement box. This is the last one I will accept, before Sky I told that I want a full refund and my original set-up back (Sky HD standard plus a Sky+box (which is years old and I never had an issue!)).....Sky......what a joke!

A

Anonymous

I had my first Sky 1TB installed on Friday 20th August Picture Quality is Great, However there is a problem with the sound through the optical connection.

Every time I switch channels I get a clipping sound back through my speakers,.

I thought it might be the cable so I swaped it for another cable same thing happened, I then put my original Sky HD box back No clipping noise coming through the speakers, So i concluded it must be the box.

I had the box replaced and the same thing happened, has any one else had the same Problem?

I have an Arcam AVR 350, Chord Optical cable Also Mains Filtered with an Earthing spike connected so this is not an Earth fault!...

A

Anonymous

As you can see from my post, I had the same problem with the new 500gb one, and demanded a old refurb, it kept beeping or clicking, however you want to call it, but it only happened from dolby channels to normal pcm ones.

Not sure if you are talking about a beep really or click, havnt heard about clicks

GetCarter

Nov 5, 2003
Visit site
Also have had he 1tb box for last 6 weeks or so, have to say it has been rocky steady so far, no failures, picture drop out, or sound issues (am also connected via optical to amp). It seems to surf channels much faster, and generally reacts to the remote much faster as well, and is really quiet, no hd clicking.

Especially surprised as it is made by Amstrad, I was dreading getting it in some respects, having had a Thomson since launch day with very few problems, though had replace the power supply recently, and upgraded the hd.

TRENDING THREADS