New setup - Lowish Budget

Rumour

Jul 6, 2007
Visit site
Current system

TV - Toshiba 32C3030

Amp - Sony TA-1066 (circa 1975)

Speakers - Jamo Sonic (not sure of model number)

I think it is time for an upgarde.

I would like to do this in stages as i dont have a fixed budget at this time.

I would like to start with the amp (Sony STRDA 1200 looks good now it is below £300)

As for a speaker package i would like something that can be built up in stages as budget allows.

I am fairly new to this so have been looking at What Hi-Fi recomendations. The Tannoy F1 5.1 looks ok but if i was to build this from individual sets would there be a better package to build?

I would start with a set of fronts and the as budget allow add rears, center and SW.

Over a year i dont mind spending slightly more than the Tannoys would cost if a better options is out there.

I would prefer floor standing rather than stand or shelf speakers could i use Tanny Floor replacements or would that loose the overall balance?

Any suggestions?

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Hi there

The Tannoy F1 would be an excellent choice, but if you particularly want floorstanders on a budget take a look at the Q Acoustics 1050 5.1 package at £730 - it's excellent value, or the Mission m3i Cinema pack at £879. Alternatively, there's Monitor Audio's superb Bronze BR2 speaker system at £880, although it uses standmount speakers like the Tannoy set-up.

As for the amp, the Sony is great, but you might want to consider the Denon AVR-1507, a five-star winner that costs just £250, or the Onkyo TX-SR505 at the same price. Mind you, if you can get the Sony for less than £300 (it was originally £400) we'd be tempted too!

You shouldn't have any problem buying the front speakers first, then adding the centre, rears and subwoofer at a later stage. However, some dealers may offer the complete 5.1 package at a sligtly lower price than the individual items.

Rumour

Jul 6, 2007
Visit site
Would replacing the F1 customs for the front with a pair of F4 floor standars be a reasonable swap if i was building from components.

I will have a budget of a couple of hundred every few months (depending on overtime) so it may take me a year or so to put the whole package together.

Rumour

Jul 6, 2007
Visit site
I have seen Monitor Audio's Bronze BR5 package which is the same as the BR2 but with the BR5 Floor standars. It seems to have everything i am looking for.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts