New Review of PS3

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi I am interested to know if you will be re-reviewing the PS3 now that its firmware updates have added extra AV functionality, particularly the superb upscaling of DVDs? I would also like to see some comparisons between the PS3 and other AV equipment, notably upscaling DVD players, media streamers and Blu-Ray/HDDVD players (i know this has already been partially covered). Sorry to keep banging on about PS3 subjects but want to know the pro's and cons against dedicated products. Thanks

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Funny you should mention that.... the revised PS3 will be reviewed in our October issue (out August 23rd) as part of a massive Group Test of all the high-definition disc players on offer - including the new Sony Blu-ray player, plus Panasonic and Pioneer Blu-ray players, the LG SuperMultiBlue, and Toshiba HD DVD players.

And don't apologise about the PS3 - we put it on our cover for the April issue and realise it's central to a lot of people's home entertainment plans.

It's also the best-selling HD disc player out there at the moment, by a factor of several zeros - as of the year to May, GfK figures for UK HD player sales stood at 1400 Blu-ray players, 3500 HD DVD players, 20,000 HD DVD drives for the X-Box 360....and 200,000 PS3s.

A

Anonymous

You've been pointing out, a good HD ready television set will beat a mediocre Full HD set any time...
Is this also true if you pair it to a PS3 and consider both gaming and movie watching?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
It certainly is - though as we've also said, at larger screen sizes (42-50in+) you might begin to notice the difference.

However, other issues - particularly how a set performs with motion, but also contrast and colour-performance - are easily (if not more) important than mere resolution figures.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts