New Rega RP3 (replacing the P3-24)

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
So the old P2 has been discontinued?

The range now being RP1, RP3,..........RP5?,RP7? and the new RP10 with that skeletal sub frame / chassis that was leaked a year or so ago?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
True Blue said:

I think that ceased with the RP1.

Slightly off-topic, but I think it's worth remembering that Rega will celebrate it's 40th year of business in 2013. There may already be 'anniversary'/limited-edition versions of existing products in development.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
True Blue said:

I think that ceased with the RP1.

Slightly off-topic, but I think it's worth remembering that Rega will celebrate it's 40th year of business in 2013. There may already be 'anniversary'/limited-edition versions of existing products in development.

I think I will wait for the 2023 50th anniversary edition of the P9/RP10 mmmmmmmmmmmm

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Very nice! I`m currently trying to talk a friend into upping their budget and buy an RP3. I`d also love to buy one for my son when he moves out as a sort of new house present but that might not be for sometime yet. Or is that not the sort of thing you buy someone for a house present? :)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Depends how much you think he'd appreciate a good turntable...

If I was your son and you bought it for me I'd be delighted.

But just about everybody else I know would have it on eBay within a day, muttering "what on earth do I want with one of these things from the ark...couldn't they have bought me an iPod?"

:)

T

the record spot

chebby said:
I will hope for the first Rega all-in-one system (their 'Uniti') based on elements from the Rega DAC and Mira-R.

I'll hope they stick a more powerful amplifier into the box than the diddi ones Naim used for the Uniti or the UnitiQute. Both dire for the prices paid.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
the record spot said:
I'll hope they stick a more powerful amplifier into the box than the diddi ones Naim used for the Uniti or the UnitiQute. Both dire for the prices paid.

I can't agree. (At least on the NaimUniti* being underpowered or dire!)

I've heard the NaimUniti a few times now, and had 2 years with - essentially - the same amp in the form of the Nait 5i. On no occasion (even playing loud through PMC GB1i speakers) was power a concern.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Depends how much you think he'd appreciate a good turntable...

If I was your son and you bought it for me I'd be delighted.

But just about everybody else I know would have it on eBay within a day, muttering "what on earth do I want with one of these things from the ark...couldn't they have bought me an iPod?"

:)

I`m glad to say he would be delighted. He already has three full lp cases and one for 7" singles but no space in his box room for a proper system at the moment.

Bought him an iPod last christmas! (Or was it the one before? Blimey, my memories shocking. :~ )

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
RP3 as a house present and a few years later a LP12 as a wedding present, sounds good to me.
smiley-money-mouth.gif

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
the record spot said:
chebby said:
I will hope for the first Rega all-in-one system (their 'Uniti') based on elements from the Rega DAC and Mira-R.

Cant agree with that heard the qute through my speakers and also GB1i's, mightily impressive piece of kit.

T

the record spot

Yup, there's no doubt an amp of almost any power can run a pair of speakers if it's in the recommended range. It's just that I'm of the belief that a pair of speakers will do a hell of a lot better with a beefy amp, with good current driving them than some 30 or 50 w effort. They can do a job, but to really control the speaker, IMO, it needs the drive from the amp.

T

the record spot

Hi Fi Corner in Edinburgh have plugged it in recent months - they're the city's Naim dealer. For what it offers, it's overpriced IMO, but there will always be buyers for high ticket items. I just don't see anything in the UnitiQute or the Uniti you can't do as well for somewhat less.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
the record spot said:
Hi Fi Corner in Edinburgh have plugged it in recent months - they're the city's Naim dealer. For what it offers, it's overpriced IMO, but there will always be buyers for high ticket items. I just don't see anything in the UnitiQute or the Uniti you can't do as well for somewhat less.

So have you been in to listen to it?

T

the record spot

Not specifically made a journey because of it, but it was playing instore some months ago with some Spendors and I listened then for some time.

Cold Roses

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone know if Rega are going to offer the P3-24 at discount prices now that the RP3 is on the way? If so, how much will the remaining P3-24s be?

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Cold Roses said:
Does anyone know if Rega are going to offer the P3-24 at discount prices now that the RP3 is on the way? If so, how much will the remaining P3-24s be?

thats the £64k question.

I personally doubt it very much, most stock will be held with dealers and no doubt rega will have phased the output of these units out in the last few months.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
True Blue said:
...most stock will be held with dealers and no doubt rega will have phased the output of these units out in the last few months.

I read that in Sept - Oct 2010 Rega shipped 2000 turntables that month (all models included in that figure) so 'phasing out' over the last few months may not have been an option if P3-24 demand was still high up to the RP3 announcement.

I don't know if 2000 turntable sales is a typical monthly figure for Rega (they might make them in batches rather than continuously thoughout a year), nor do I know how many of those 2000 were P3-24s.

Either way, there will probably be a fair number of them knocking around for a while.

Cold Roses said:

I saw on Audio T's website earlier today they have a couple of ex-demos for £399.95 which isn't a huge bargain IMO. http://www.audiot.co.uk/products/rega-p3-24-turntable-474/clearance/

I'd be inclined to await a listen, though I imagine the new one is better sounding and may be easier/cheaper to make too?

Cold Roses

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
Indeed, it's the 64,000 dollar question. Though, if Rega are going to offer the P3-24 at a discount they don't seem to be advertising them yet.

£399 for an ex-demo version doesn't seem like much of a bargain. The cheapest I've seen the P3-24 is £349 for the TT, although that's just the basic deck without cart. Can't recall what the original rrp was on these. Whilst £349 seems very reasonable, it still isn't quite cheap enough to tempt me. At that price, I'd rather wait to hear the RP3, which I'm pretty sure will be a significant improvement (although lets see).

Though, if I can find a P3-24 at or below £300 I'll be very tempted. The plan would be to send it to Inspire Hi Fi for the Quest Upgrade Package, which looks and, from what I've been told, sounds great!

Chebby - I saw Rega's comments about shipping 2000 units in one month and the fact that they're now seeing higher demand for their TTs than ever before. Further evidence of the vinyl rennaisance.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts