New Q Acoustics 2020, or used Radius 90?

Dazed and Confused

Sep 10, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I need glossy white bookshelf speakers on a budget. (And yes, I was looking for speakers less than 20cm wide only a few weeks ago - the thing is we decided on a different room layout, so we're having to rethink.)

I've seen some used Monitor Audio Radius 90 (not the HD ones) for about the same price as new Q Acoustics 2020. Which would you recommend?

They're going to be sitting directly on the top of a 40cm deep shelving unit. They're mainly going to be used with Sonos for music of various types at low and medium volumes, but we will run the TV through them too. We prefer clarity over thumping bass, but we don't want to go too far and get a 'thin' sounding speaker. The thing is, the room is really rather big - it's got 12 foot ceilings, and is approximately 4m by 8m. The amp is a Monitor Audio X-150, but we may be changing it to save money.

Please help. Any other recommendations or tips on how to get the best out of them (Should I sit them on something on top of the unit?), would be really helpful too.

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Don't know if I'm too late to stop you or not but I use a pair of Radius 90s for music and don't rate them at all. I use other Radius speakers for my cinema system and they're fine for that but, as a stereo pair, I find the sound just sounds flat and muffled and hence have been looking to replace them. Ironically the 2020s are on my list but I'm not sure if they'll be the step up I would like and so I've been considering lots of options up to the Usher S-520 and AVI Neutrons.