New Project Primary skips on new records, not on old records

Wykran

Dec 1, 2020
Visit site
Hi All,

Very recently I bought a new Project Primary turntable. Old records seem to play fine. However, all new records I bought suffer from skipping.

I tried increasing the force a little, but this doesn't seem to solve the problem.

Any ideas? Is this an inherent issue with these turntables?

Thank you!

Hi All,

Very recently I bought a new Project Primary turntable. Old records seem to play fine. However, all new records I bought suffer from skipping.

I tried increasing the force a little, but this doesn't seem to solve the problem.

Any ideas? Is this an inherent issue with these turntables?

Thank you!
I have no idea but I would very much doubt it is an inherent problem.
Did you get it from a dealer?
Any noticeable problems with the new records you are trying to play? Cannot understand why they would all skip and older records are fine. Take it back to dealer if turntable is unfit for purpose

Reactions: prince albert

myrrhman

Apr 24, 2020
Visit site
Sorry if this is teaching my granny how to suck eggs, but double check (with a spirit level) that the deck is level, the arm is balanced, and that you have the anti-skate weight set correctly for the tracking weight. I know Project Primary is meant to be plug and play, but also worth checking that the cartridge is aligned properly in the headshell.
No idea why this should happen with new but not old records - one thing I would say is new records do still need cleaning before playing.
Otherwise I'd second AI Ears suggestion and take it back, just be sure to dissemble and pack the way you received it before transporting it or posting it, including fixing any packing screws it came with.

Is there anything consistent or repeatable about the groove skipping?

For example is it at a certain distance from the spindle, as that would indicate something binding or a problem in the arm bearings. Or is it only on very loud passages?

danny-79

Oct 3, 2020
Visit site
Sorry if this is teaching my granny how to suck eggs, but double check (with a spirit level) that the deck is level, the arm is balanced, and that you have the anti-skate weight set correctly for the tracking weight. I know Project Primary is meant to be plug and play, but also worth checking that the cartridge is aligned properly in the headshell.
No idea why this should happen with new but not old records - one thing I would say is new records do still need cleaning before playing.
Otherwise I'd second AI Ears suggestion and take it back, just be sure to dissemble and pack the way you received it before transporting it or posting it, including fixing any packing screws it came with.

I say everything said here.
I’ve recently rebalanced my tone arm as a new 180g LP was not running in correctly (from the start it skipped a couple of groves before starting) re balance and problem solved

Reactions: Al ears

Gray

One poster suggests checking that the arm is balanced.
Another reports that rebalancing his arm cured a problem.
Assuming the deck and any suspension is level and that downforce and anti-skate has been set.
What is it that needs 'rebalancing' on the arm?
I can't be alone in never having had to reset a downforce once it's been set for a given cart on different decks.
I do go out of my way to treat things with care, never knock counterweights, never damaged a stylus etc.....but no special skill required in that....someone tell me they're as puzzled as I am for any need to 'rebalance'.

One poster suggests checking that the arm is balanced.
Another reports that rebalancing his arm cured a problem.
Assuming the deck and any suspension is level and that downforce and anti-skate has been set.
What is it that needs 'rebalancing' on the arm?
I can't be alone in never having had to reset a downforce once it's been set for a given cart on different decks.
I do go out of my way to treat things with care, never knock counterweights, never damaged a stylus etc.....but no special skill required in that....someone tell me they're as puzzled as I am for any need to 'rebalance'.
Strange indeed, especially as the OP has not replied.
Rebalancing is a nonsense, if it was out it wouldn't play the old LPs either.
Some posters only add confusion rather than help clarification.
Danny 79 doesn't even have the same turntable.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

Strange indeed, especially as the OP has not replied.
Rebalancing is a nonsense, if it was out it wouldn't play the old LPs either.
Some posters only add confusion rather than help clarification.
Danny 79 doesn't even have the same turntable.
I'm not saying others' decks haven't, for some reason, needed their tracking forces to be reset - just that none of mine have.

Would appear that there's some difference between the OPs old and new vinyl?......maybe all new ones were massively warped rejects :).

We're all interested to know what's going on.
Let's hope he comes back. He wouldn't be the first to disappear, never to be seen again.

danny-79

Oct 3, 2020
Visit site
Remove skate weight. Check balance. Reapply correct downforce for your cartridge, what ever that might be and have another go.
I don’t knock my stuff about either but something that can be simply checked before thinking somethings broken is logical first port of call.

Reactions: myrrhman and Gray

iMark

There is no anti-skate weight to remove or balance to check.
This from the manual:

Screenshot 2020-12-02 at 12.51.21.png
https://www.project-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Manual_Primary.pdf

I'm afraid @Wykran has to contact his dealer to solve the issue. The record player should work straight out of the box.

It's very different from our Pro-Ject record player. I had to balance the tonearm, set the weight for the cartridge and then attach the anti-skating weights. Pro-Ject obviously tried to make things a lot easier with the Primary but in this case it may not work properly.

myrrhman

Apr 24, 2020
Visit site
This from the manual:

View attachment 1824

I'm afraid @Wykran has to contact his dealer to solve the issue. The record player should work straight out of the box.

It's very different from our Pro-Ject record player. I had to balance the tonearm, set the weight for the cartridge and then attach the anti-skating weights. Pro-Ject obviously tried to make things a lot easier with the Primary but in this case it may not work properly.
Must admit I just assumed the anti-skate weight was the usual fiddly weight on a tiny filament which needed hooking over one of three grooves as per most Project turntables. Agree it's unfortunately looking like a factory setup problem.

D

Deleted member 108165

This from the manual:

View attachment 1824

Hmm, wonder how the OP has managed to change the VTF? As you say it is pre-set and cannot be altered :unsure: Beginning to sound like an invalidated warranty claim if he's fiddled with it.

Reactions: Al ears
True.
If these functions are set then apart from adding more downforce anything else might void warranty.
You can add downforce by adding weight to headshell. :)
All the more reason not to buy these oversimplified turntables
My betting is its the spherical stylus itself and he needs to replace it with one further up the line that has a different for example elliptical profile. To my mind spherical stylii are only good for mono records.
It's a cheap deck with a cheap cartridge, having said that it should be fit for purpose which it clearly isn't. Take it back.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts