• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

new pre amp needed

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
Looking at emotiva xsp-1 the best spec pre amp for the money imo at £1449 all included.

Dont know much about them so does anyone have any experience with emotiva?

Other pre amps im interested in hegel P 20 also true fully balanced and has other unbalanced pre outs.

Has anyone experienced emotiva products?
 

Al ears

Moderator
Andrewjvt said:
Looking at emotiva xsp-1 the best spec pre amp for the money imo at £1449 all included.

Dont know much about them so does anyone have any experience with emotiva?

Other pre amps im interested in hegel P 20 also true fully balanced and has other unbalanced pre outs.

Has anyone experienced emotiva products?
Not sure exactly what you are after as the P20 is a preamplifier and the XPS-1 is a phono preamp for a turntable is it not?

Or are you in market for both?
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
Al ears said:
Andrewjvt said:
Looking at emotiva xsp-1 the best spec pre amp for the money imo at £1449 all included.

Dont know much about them so does anyone have any experience with emotiva?

Other pre amps im interested in hegel P 20 also true fully balanced and has other unbalanced pre outs.

Has anyone experienced emotiva products?
Not sure exactly what you are after as the P20 is a preamplifier and the XPS-1 is a phono preamp for a turntable is it not?

Or are you in market for both?
Ive got my letters mixed up

Its the xsp-1 stereo preamp
 

Al ears

Moderator
Andrewjvt said:
Al ears said:
Andrewjvt said:
Looking at emotiva xsp-1 the best spec pre amp for the money imo at £1449 all included.

Dont know much about them so does anyone have any experience with emotiva?

Other pre amps im interested in hegel P 20 also true fully balanced and has other unbalanced pre outs.

Has anyone experienced emotiva products?
Not sure exactly what you are after as the P20 is a preamplifier and the XPS-1 is a phono preamp for a turntable is it not?

Or are you in market for both?
Ive got my letters mixed up

Its the xsp-1 stereo preamp
Ah, right.... no experience with Emotiva I am afraid.
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
Al ears said:
Andrewjvt said:
Al ears said:
Andrewjvt said:
Looking at emotiva xsp-1 the best spec pre amp for the money imo at £1449 all included.

Dont know much about them so does anyone have any experience with emotiva?

Other pre amps im interested in hegel P 20 also true fully balanced and has other unbalanced pre outs.

Has anyone experienced emotiva products?
Not sure exactly what you are after as the P20 is a preamplifier and the XPS-1 is a phono preamp for a turntable is it not?

Or are you in market for both?
Ive got my letters mixed up

Its the xsp-1 stereo preamp
Ah, right.... no experience with Emotiva I am afraid.
Me also but the specs look very good for the price. The cost would be much higher if they sold through dealerships also.

Hard to get real info on them though.
 

Gazzip

New member
Jan 15, 2011
88
0
0
Andrewjvt said:
Looking at emotiva xsp-1 the best spec pre amp for the money imo at £1449 all included.

Dont know much about them so does anyone have any experience with emotiva?

Other pre amps im interested in hegel P 20 also true fully balanced and has other unbalanced pre outs.

Has anyone experienced emotiva products?
Your ATC's have fallen over mate...
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:
Looking at emotiva xsp-1 the best spec pre amp for the money imo at £1449 all included.

Dont know much about them so does anyone have any experience with emotiva?

Other pre amps im interested in hegel P 20 also true fully balanced and has other unbalanced pre outs.

Has anyone experienced emotiva products?
Your ATC's have fallen over mate...
Haha no not yet
 

lindsayt

New member
Apr 8, 2011
16
2
0
Would a stepped attenuator passive pre-amp be suitable for your needs?

If your sources all have healthy ouputs in terms of voltage: less is more.
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
lindsayt said:
Would a stepped attenuator passive pre-amp be suitable for your needs?

If your sources all have healthy ouputs in terms of voltage: less is more.
Would you please give me some examples of some?
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
gasolin said:
What about something like this, i wanted one (because of noise and channel unbalance i had with the t c electronic volume knob) when i had active studio monitors, but they are much more expensive then any active studio monitors i ever had

http://www.goldpt.com/sa4.html

 

 
I need to do.a bit of research on these sort. Cheers
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Project pre box rs or the pre box rs digital might be right up your street.both come with balanced xlr connections if needed.
Yes i need (or want) balanced xlr
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Project pre box rs or the pre box rs digital might be right up your street.both come with balanced xlr connections if needed.
Very cool.looking but i dont want to get into tubes just yet. I take it you run one into naims? Ive also heard of people running these sort onto atc actives.
Thanks for info
 
Feb 18, 2015
58
0
0
No I don't run one into my naim gear,I doubt I could even if I wanted to.came across them reading forums and when looking for a phono stage.And yes quite popular for a pre with actives and are apparently very good for the money.
 

lindsayt

New member
Apr 8, 2011
16
2
0
Andrewjvt said:
lindsayt said:
Would a stepped attenuator passive pre-amp be suitable for your needs?

If your sources all have healthy ouputs in terms of voltage: less is more.
Would you please give me some examples of some?
The Goldpoint from gasolin's post is a good example. There are others.

I'd just buy the first one of any make (that looked to have reasonable resistors) that I saw a good deal on.

Buying a stepped attenuator. 2nd hand is fine as there's such a minimal risk of anything going wrong or wearing out.
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
lindsayt said:
Andrewjvt said:
lindsayt said:
Would a stepped attenuator passive pre-amp be suitable for your needs?

If your sources all have healthy ouputs in terms of voltage: less is more.
Would you please give me some examples of some?
The Goldpoint from gasolin's post is a good example. There are others.

I'd just buy the first one of any make (that looked to have reasonable resistors) that I saw a good deal on.

Buying a stepped attenuator. 2nd hand is fine as there's such a minimal risk of anything going wrong or wearing out.
For passive preamps... at what voltage should the source output to have decent volume?
 

lindsayt

New member
Apr 8, 2011
16
2
0
That would depend on the gain in the power amps, the sensitivity of the speakers, what any particular listener would call a decent volume and how far you're sitting from the speakers.

Of more concern is that there are source and power amp combinations where a passive pre-amp makes the system sound dynamically dead.

For a phono stage or FM tuner I'd be more inclined towards an active pre-amp. For a CD player there's a good chance passive will be better. For radio broadcast record players with inbuilt phono and linestage amplification, passive is better.
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
lindsayt said:
That would depend on the gain in the power amps, the sensitivity of the speakers, what any particular listener would call a decent volume and how far you're sitting from the speakers.

Of more concern is that there are source and power amp combinations where a passive pre-amp makes the system sound dynamically dead.

For a phono stage or FM tuner I'd be more inclined towards an active pre-amp. For a CD player there's a good chance passive will be better. For radio broadcast record players with inbuilt phono and linestage amplification, passive is better.
What about a streamer like auralic altair or mini?
 

lindsayt

New member
Apr 8, 2011
16
2
0
Andrewjvt said:
What about a streamer like auralic altair or mini?
I don't know.

My guess is that they'd probably be the same as CD players in terms of passive pre-amp compatability.

If they come with a built in, analogue volume control it'd make sense to use that, if you can, straight into your power amplification.

If I added a streamer to my system, I'd be looking to try a passive and an active pre-amp to see which sounded better overall.
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
lindsayt said:
Andrewjvt said:
What about a streamer like auralic altair or mini?
I don't know.

My guess is that they'd probably be the same as CD players in terms of passive pre-amp compatability.

If they come with a built in, analogue volume control it'd make sense to use that, if you can, straight into your power amplification.

If I added a streamer to my system, I'd be looking to try a passive and an active pre-amp to see which sounded better overall.
Its the demo's that proving hard now as im half in pro shops. I wanted to only have one box but may now have a dac/pre and seperate streamer.

Really like benchmark for dac/preamp.
I also like the hegel p20 As 'just pre amp' but then would need dac/streamer or dac and streamer so im back to 3 boxes plus then comes the av processor.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts