New power amplifier purchased

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
I had better start with Oops I did it again!

Last few weeks I have had this itch to try different speakers. I don't really know why, apart from the Ushers are from my time overseas in a much larger living area and maybe not perfect in my now smaller living room.
Needed something to cheer me up a bit and any purchase would be veto'ed if the wife was around, so strike whilst the wife is away.
So I started looking at reviews of speakers with a number that I knew I could not really justify or afford, so with more thinking I came to a number that was still a bit mad, but probably more in line to my existing equipment.
It's a minefield out there with so many makes and models in just about all price ranges and to make it worse was the trend towards revamped 70's style speakers.
Without being able to easily audition such a vast number of options as most suitable shops are not within reach for me, the search for reviews and forum opinions intensified.
One of my main aims was to find a speaker that was a bit smaller and a bit more manageable to move around and hopefully buy something that sounded at least as good or better than my current.
I narrowed my search down to around 10 speakers, which did my head in. In the end I plumped for something that was not originally on my list and was a last minute thought.
Modern over vintage won out.
So nervously yesterday I placed an order and today a pair of gorgeous Monitor Audio Gold 5G 300's in piano ebony arrived.
So another un-auditioned purchase, they do sound quite different but in a very good way for my room size.
Super happy with my choice and result, but now I need to come up with a plan once the wife spots the new speakers, probably most likely from immediately seeing the old ones standing in the study.

Maybe time to start looking for new homes from some of the equipment that's starting to build up around the house, which might help please her.
glad it panned out well

FMIB

Dec 3, 2021
Visit site
To update, the plan has worked perfectly so far.
I sold off the old speakers and a couple of other items to a secondhand HiFi buyer before the wife got back so she would not see the redundent speakers and amplifier standing in the study.
She's been back 3 days and as yet has not noticed the new speakers or amp, even when I was playing music.

A complete result, fantastic sound and fantastic that I never got an earful on buying them.

Roll on her next trip, so I can start planning what I might get away with buying next.

To update, the plan has worked perfectly so far.
I sold off the old speakers and a couple of other items to a secondhand HiFi buyer before the wife got back so she would not see the redundent speakers and amplifier standing in the study.
She's been back 3 days and as yet has not noticed the new speakers or amp, even when I was playing music.

A complete result, fantastic sound and fantastic that I never got an earful on buying them.

Roll on her next trip, so I can start planning what I might get away with buying next.
I think you are delusional.... :)

Reactions: WayneKerr

FMIB

Dec 3, 2021
Visit site
Probably, but years of practice.
Previously we moved countries, back to the UK and she never noticed that the Rega Planar 3 had suddenly changed to a Mitchell Orbe during the move.

On her previous trip I did sell off my 1 year old car and fishing van and bought a different new car.
I guessed that she might notice that one, so I came clean on the "benefits" prior to her return to minimise direct confrontation.

Reactions: Al ears
Probably, but years of practice.
Previously we moved countries, back to the UK and she never noticed that the Rega Planar 3 had suddenly changed to a Mitchell Orbe during the move.

On her previous trip I did sell off my 1 year old car and fishing van and bought a different new car.
I guessed that she might notice that one, so I came clean on the "benefits" prior to her return to minimise direct confrontation.
Perhaps like mine, she's just being polite in not mentioning it.
Pretty sure mine would swiftly pick up on a Rega / Michell swap... The Orbe has got shiny bits..:)

TRENDING THREADS