New power amp - help with new speaker choice please

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Arcam CD82 player

Arcam DIVA A85 Amp

Arcam DIVA P85 power amp

Quad 22L speakers

After much deliberation over the upgrade of my system I have decided to stick with the main kit above and I have added the P85 power amp.

I am now keen to look at new speakers as I feel that the addition of the P85 might warrant better speakers.

I have shortlisted 3

Linn Majik 140

PMC GB1i

Wharfedale Jade 5

I will try and demo all 3 if that’s possible in my area.

Any comments on how these would work with the Arcam equipment

Help and comments always appreciated.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Particularly interested in any thoughts on the Linns and the Wharfedale Jades with the Arcam equipment.

The Jades look very impressive.

Anyone any comments?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Electro said:
Arcam equipment is very good with PMC speakers but try the others as well and see which you prefer .

This would be my view as well.

I think your decision to get the P85 was a sensible one.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
To CnoEvil

Thank you for the help once again. Yes its on its way. These forums are priceless to a novice like me.........it will be fun to see if I can set it up with the different speaker wiring etc etc.

Also another issue I have is that I wish to demo 3 different speakers, and it looks like I will have to visit 3 different retailers to do this |(

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Of the other speakers you listed, I can't comment on the Jade 5s, but imo, Linn works best on the end of an all Linn system; and are a bit expensive compared to others at the same price.

Also wait until you here how much better your Quads sound with the extra amplification, before making any buying decisions.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
To CnoEvil

Yes thats what I intend to do.....If i am happy with the Quads after the addition of the P85.......and lets hope I am, then that might do me for now.

As a lot of my listening is through headphones I might invest in a very good pair to replace my Grado SR80s, insread of the speakers

I am no hifi buff but was always led to belive Linn is better with Linn.....I said this to the dealer who denied it. Thats the problem I find.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Womaz said:
I am no hifi buff but was always led to belive Linn is better with Linn.....I said this to the dealer who denied it. Thats the problem I find.

Since hifi is all a matter of opinion, there is no absolute right or wrong....the secret is getting unbiased knowledgeable advice, and even then... :?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts