New phone dilemma: Pixel 2 XL vs Samsung Galaxy S8

I've currently got the Nexus 6p which I'm looking to upgrade. I've pre-ordered the Pixel 2 XL 128GB for £899 which will be delivered mid November. I also ordered a personalised case for it from Google which has already been shipped (worth £40).

Now here's my dilemma; my SIM only contract is up for upgrade and I can actually get the Samsung Galaxy S8 for £480 over 2 years.

I have enjoyed my Nexus 6p and vanilla Android, not sure if I'll like the Samsung skin on Android. I definitely need minimum 128GB storage so cannot go for the 64GB version of the Pixel (even though cloud option is available).

My phone is my most used device; I've almost stopped using my laptop and don't use my tablet anymore (therefore the bigger screen of the Pixel 2 XL). So can somewhat justify the price of the Pixel 2 XL. But the Samsung is £400 cheaper. Any suggestions?

It's on "offers" page on my Vodafone account. There's only £20 difference between SIM only (12 months) and phone deal (24 months) per month, for the same minutes and data plan.

My main issue is Samsung and their (in) ability to provide long term customer support.

jjbomber

bigboss said:
Now here's my dilemma; my SIM only contract is up for upgrade and I can actually get the Samsung Galaxy S8 for £480 over 2 years.

Where can you get an S8 for £480 over 2 years? We all want one now. That's cheaper than a OnePlus.

Here's a Top 10 run down.

https://www.stuff.tv/top-10/smartphones

I am guessing that you already know the answer but losing £40 on the case is a bitter pill to swallow. Still better to lose £40 than £400.

jjbomber

jjbomber said:
Here's a Top 10 run down.

https://www.stuff.tv/top-10/smartphones

I am guessing that you already know the answer but losing £40 on the case is a bitter pill to swallow. Still better to lose £40 than £400.

''bitter pill to swallow''. I thought that was good for my doctor joke of the day. Maybe not.

I am having fun and games with Vodafone. I have a 2 year contract for £2 a month for 500 minutes, 5000 texts and 0.5GB a month. Vodafone put it up to £6. They won't honour the contract. I've moved to ID for £3.99 a month. It's SIM only as I still have the OnePlus.

D

Deleted member 2457

I got the Samsung S8 as an early Xmas present and birthday present for £590 with the VR headset and controller from price matching Box.co.uk in store at John Lewis get a 2 year warranty too. But I have to say I didn’t like it, although watching movies and 4k was pretty fantastic! It’s not a HDR screen though, only the Samsung Note is and the iPhone X, now I am into screaming I find this is something I would like, not sure about you though?

Second, I also had the Samsung before this (temporary)
regular_smile.png
and I found that easier to use. I couldn’t get all the settings and apps on the home page though something I found annoying, you kept having to swipe the homepage to get them to show up! I couldn’t find the torch either. What’s this LG like and what does it do? Battery life didn’t seem that good on the Samsung. BTW - I did take it back two days later. Not saying it’s not for you I just didn’t find it special and I guess I was looking for the whole package.

D

Deleted member 2457

Have you seen this:

https://www.androidauthority.com/google-pixel-2-xl-vs-samsung-galaxy-note-8-805154/

D

Deleted member 2457

Review of the Pixel here:

https://www.androidauthority.com/google-hardware-innovation-806714/

I think I would go Samsung Note or iPhone X if I was you, probably iphone X.

D

Deleted member 2457

regular_smile.png
I am always getting my words mixed up, is there a name for that?

D

Deleted member 2457

gel said:
Just had a look on the internet and it says anxiety disorder when speaking, I do speak to myself when typing and I have anxiety and an anxiety disorder so perhaps that’s why I do it.

D

Deleted member 2457

gel said:
gel said:
Just had a look on the internet and it says anxiety disorder when speaking, I do speak to myself when typing and I have anxiety and an anxiety disorder so perhaps that’s why I do it.
My Dad reckons it’s something that happens to all of us.
thumbs_up.png

Samsung Galaxy S8 does HDR too, although that's not in my priority at all. And I'm so deeply into the Android ecosystem that I cannot consider the iPhone at all.

Anyway, decision made. My wife was looking at me from the corner of her eye while I was looking at phones......made me realise her ancient phone needs upgrading. So going for both! *preved*

The Samsung is going to cost me £446. Not bad at all!

D

Deleted member 2457

With the HDR thing, yep you are right it does do HDR but it’s not a capable HDR screen like the Samsung Note and iPhone X. The pictures looked really impressive anyway, I couldn’t get a HDR picture though because the Apps are not up to date.

gel said:
With the HDR thing, yep you are right it does do HDR but it’s not a capable HDR screen like the Samsung Note and iPhone X.  The pictures looked really impressive anyway, I couldn’t get a HDR picture though because the Apps are not up to date.  
Not sure what you mean by a "capable HDR screen".

Both Galaxy S8 and Note 8 have Quad HD+ resolution, Super AMOLED panel and Mobile HDR Premium. No difference there.

Both the iPhone X and Samsung Galaxy S8 have 5.8-inch OLED screens, and both also support HDR content. iPhone X screen resolution is 2436 x 1125 for 458 pixels per inch, while the Samsung Galaxy S8’s screen is 1440 x 2960 for 570 pixels per inch, so Samsung’s phone is higher-resolution and sharper.

D

Deleted member 2457

The Samsung s8 is not an HDR display, like the more expensive models.

D

Deleted member 2457

I don’t know where I got that info but everything I am reading at present is saying HDR and I got a clip here of it:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wP56JFC9Nl0

So I think you are right BB.

Do you know if you can get the apps on the front page?

D

Deleted member 2457

Here’s how you do it too:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi0sYgDfmJc

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
gel said:
With the HDR thing, yep you are right it does do HDR but it’s not a capable HDR screen like the Samsung Note and iPhone X. The pictures looked really impressive anyway, I couldn’t get a HDR picture though because the Apps are not up to date.
Not sure what you mean by a "capable HDR screen".

Both Galaxy S8 and Note 8 have Quad HD+ resolution, Super AMOLED panel and Mobile HDR Premium. No difference there.

Both the iPhone X and Samsung Galaxy S8 have 5.8-inch OLED screens, and both also support HDR content. iPhone X screen resolution is 2436 x 1125 for 458 pixels per inch, while the Samsung Galaxy S8’s screen is 1440 x 2960 for 570 pixels per inch, so Samsung’s phone is higher-resolution and sharper.
thumbs_up.png
I think I might have made a mistake by returning it! *sad*

D

Deleted member 2457

Can you get everything on the home page like on iPhones?

D

Deleted member 2457

Cheers BB. I think I am going to wait for the price to come down before purchasing again. I don’t really want the v r headset and controller. Do you know when Amazon Prime are likely to do HDR for the Samsung s8? I am pretty sure people are waiting for an upgrade. I tried it but it didn’t work yet, so I am now waiting to see what it looks like. I will try YouTube HDR in a shop.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts