New Panasonic TX37LZD80.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am looking to buy an LCD 1080p TV (still!!). After a lot of research I think I have finally setled on the Panasonic TX-37LZD70 which is currently available at £725.

BUT there is a new model coming out i.e. the TX37LZD80. Even though this is not out yet audio visual.co.uk are offering it at £1,063 (see link below)

http://www.1staudiovisual.co.uk/catalog/-c-52_136_164.html?page=2&osCsid=7agt40pe176dmvq2kgtv676mn0

My question is - Is it worth getting the old model at £725 OR waiting for the new one. Would hate to buy the old one for £725 only to find the new comes out at £750. However if new model is circa 1k then it is out of my budget and I will buy now. What a dillema!!! What do the experts think the new model will be priced at?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
More information on the new Panasonic range here. Pana is promising improvements over the existing range (of course!), but we'll reserve judgement until we've seen the sets in full flow,rather than just preview looks.

We'll be reviewing one of the new sets- the TX32LZD80 - in our next issue,out April 3rd.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the response. Any ideas on the likely price of the new sets?

My only other issue on the current panny set is the wing speakers making the TV very big for a 37" screen.

What would be the best rival to the Panny in terms of a 37" 1080p LCP?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

possibly the Samsung LE37M87BDX but i would say the Pana is slightly better

A

Anonymous

Yeah all the reviews I have read suggest the Pana is better than Samsung 37M. It also looks better in the shop.

I suppose I will have to wait until the prices of the new models are released. Does anyone know if the new Pana models have the wing speakers?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
If you read/scan the whole story I link to earlier in this thread, you'll see the look of all the new models
emotion-2.gif

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Why would the lcd be so much more expensive than the better plasma in the same size (the better of the new plasmas i mean, not better than the lcd), which is, as far as i know, unnofficially coming on at £699...?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The plasma is HD Ready whereas the LCD is Full HD. The LCD also claims to offer superior sound.

Of course none of this matters if it's better contrast/blacks you're after, but it helps Pana justify the premium!

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
LOL! Thanks Clare! i started to fear I'd missed something important or maybe the plasma was going to be much pricey-er afterall. Anyway, apologies for the interruption.

A

Anonymous

Hi, I'm in exactly the same spot after much deliberation decided on the Panasonic 37" LCD, I was just about to order it and came across this forum, so i will wait to see what happens when the new one is released, I have noticed in the ads that the new version doesn't mention 'freeview' but perhaps it's just better to wait and see.

I will "Watch this space!!"

GB

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
All Panasonic's 2008 sets include a Freeview tuner. I suspect it's the same for all the major brands - especially as big retailers such as Dixons/Currys now refuse to stock sets that aren't digital-ready.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="rch19754"]What would be the best rival to the Panny in
terms of a 37" 1080p LCP?[/quote][quote user="matthew s"]possibly the
Samsung LE37M87BDX but i would say the Pana is slightly
better [/quote]rch19754 - I'm in the same position as you. I saw the Panasonic TX-37LZD70 and it's Samsung 'rival' mentioned above - with the Panasonic my favourite. I've also, like you, seen the Panasonic TX-37LZD80 but the extra price I've seen it listed at was putting it out of my budget.

However, I've spotted that Dixons are selling the TX-37LZD80 for £800 online! (with free delivery), which makes it a cracking deal IMO. Web linky.

Unless I see another significantly better TV for that price (I doubt it) then I'll be ordering that one.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="LightFantastic"]

However, I've spotted that Dixons are selling the TX-37LZD80 for £800 online! (with free delivery), which makes it a cracking deal IMO. Web linky.

Unless I see another significantly better TV for that price (I doubt it) then I'll be ordering that one.[/quote]

What's wrong with Panny TH37PX80, £619 from Sound & Vision.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="rewerb"][quote user="LightFantastic"]

Unless I see another significantly better TV for that price (I doubt it) then I'll be ordering that one.[/quote]

What's wrong with Panny TH37PX80, £619 from Sound & Vision.
[/quote]

I agree, just compared the LCD model and plasma model side by side on SD images and the plasma wins hands down!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="LightFantastic"]

[quote user="rch19754"]What would be the best rival to the Panny in terms of a 37" 1080p LCP?[/quote][quote user="matthew s"]possibly the Samsung LE37M87BDX but i would say the Pana is slightly better [/quote]rch19754 - I'm in the same position as you. I saw the Panasonic TX-37LZD70 and it's Samsung 'rival' mentioned above - with the Panasonic my favourite. I've also, like you, seen the Panasonic TX-37LZD80 but the extra price I've seen it listed at was putting it out of my budget.

Unless I see another significantly better TV for that price (I doubt it) then I'll be ordering that one.

[/quote]

I paid 695 from John Lewis inc 5yr warranty for my 37LZD70 - depends what you can get price match for on the LZD80 as in my view the 5yr warranty is important for piece of mind

A

Anonymous

Waiting on a Review of this set Myself......... Sent my new TX-37lzd70 Back to its senders today (Got it for £699) ,

I Thought the picture clarity amazing on HD & SD.. However... Component HD Limited to 720p-1080i Was annoying ( i have a 360).. The Lack of TRUE 24P Movie Mode,even Though it converts the signal smoothly.. (Sorry for the mention. * i read that thread* LOL) .Was a Small issue, just 2 Hdmi Sockets, (v 1.2) No deep Colour,, The Biggest SHOCK For me was the lack of Dark in Shadows & Dark Scenes , on ANY Picture mode even with reduced contrast & greatly reduced brightness Both on Games & movies... The only time the blacks looked good was when part of an otherwise bright picture,, . i own & have owned lcd's with MUCH Lower Contrast Ratio's that Stamp all over this sets pathetic efforts with dark scenes,, An Adjustable backlight would have been nice Panasonic!! :-/

A Panasonic Rep informs me that the TX-37LZD80 has 1080P Component,, TRUE 24p Movie Mode,, 3 HDMI Sockets all V 1.3, So Deep Colour also, (If it makes much difference?) And a Higher Contrast ratio of 10,000:1 As Opposed to the D70'S 8,500:1 So maybe a shade or two darker when wanted.... also Vreal 3 as opposed to Vreal 2

If the D80 Truly is The D70 bought up to current competetive spec and maintains its great build quality & razor clean image.... Then its worth me paying a little more..........
emotion-19.gif

The px80b Plasma has good reviews i know, (i had pretty much decided on it ) but in the showroom saw it running SD & HD & Both looked murky & Very soft :-/ Maybe it was set up wrong.? The 42 panny Plasma they had showed a STUNNING Picture on both..(but would be too big for my room & viewing distance from screen). But it was seeing the TX-37LZD70'S Picture on Both HD & SD (Sky),,, That won it for me....

I'm praying SO Hard for a Great TX-37LZD80 Review....That it Hurts.....
emotion-43.gif

The Below From Panasonics site worries me a little though......

This kind of expressive power will thrill science-fiction fans even dark scenes are elaborately detailed. Improved panel contrast combines with the I.S.C.(Intelligent Scene Controller) to achieve a high, 10,000:1* contrast ratio. *Dynamic mode only

Dynamic Mode Only.......???????
emotion-7.gif

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
My understanding is the maximum output of the 360 via component is 720p / 1080i. To get 1080p out of the older models (i.e. pre-HDMI socket), you needed to use the VGA cable.

Not that that would have changed your change of TV I understand given all the other things, but just didn't want you to be disappointed when the new one turned up!

A

Anonymous

XBOX 360 Plays Games at 1080p Through Component Just Fine, Its why the 1080p option was there on the pre hdmi Model's And why i have played games on Full HD Sets from Samsung & Toshiba Through Component on the 360's 1080p Setting :)

The Panasonic TX-37LZD70 will not accept 1080p Component input from ANY device,
emotion-7.gif

I Read it Online, Tried It Myself, Then Had it Confirmed By Panasonic Audio/Video Support Over The Phone... (i believe The manual may say so too),
emotion-42.gif

Its Daft But True,,,,,,,,, lol

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Onibaba"]I Read it Online, Tried It Myself, Then Had it Confirmed By Panasonic Audio/Video Support Over The Phone... [/quote]

Do You Write Headlines For American Newspapers?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Well, fair enough then! I remember reading when I got mine one of the limitations of the 360 compared to the (then non-existent in the UK) PS3 was no 1080p output and then reading somewhere else it was possible by the VGA cable, but not by component. I didn't pay much heed as my TV is HD Ready anyway!

I suppose it's entirely possible they sorted this via firmware a while ago and I wasn't paying attention or that, whichever journalist wrote the article above was just plain wrong!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]

[quote user="Onibaba"]I Read it Online, Tried It Myself, Then Had it Confirmed By Panasonic Audio/Video Support Over The Phone... [/quote]

Do You Write Headlines For American Newspapers?

[/quote].....

emotion-2.gif
emotion-3.gif
Ok Ok........... No... (though i must admit that it looked that way)..
emotion-10.gif

It's just a terrible affliction that sometimes takes me over.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts