New old taste in music

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
I've found I've started hunting out late 70's to late 80's stuff that at the time I thought was awful but now I've matured a 'bit' with older ears I see what they were getting at. There's still a lot of cr@p there but some good stuff too.

I'm nearly 60 and still love rock, try Fire Garden by Steve Vai - almost totally instrumental and a masterpiece although some of it might sound quite bizarre, with unnaturally long fingers you can play bizarre tunes straight off the frets. He draws on classical influences on this album. And what about ELP encompassing the more obscure classical stuff into their own brand of prog-rock. Anyone for Rush? Deep Purple with the RPO? Rock on.

Google intellect.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
listen to classical stuff, Four Seasons being one of my favourites just behind Mussorgsky's Pictures At an Exhibition which is just behind ELP's interpretation of it although it cannot, and no classical piece cannot command my undivided attention throughout its entirety, try as I might. If that's sub-intellectual then so what, I don't consider you or me any higher or lower than me or you just because that's how me and you work in our interpretations of the same thing. What were you listening to when you got bored in your 20's?

Your last paragraph is laughable psychology to say the least. Don't go there.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I enjoy a lot of classical music (especially classical guitar interpretations of well known classical composers). I listen to other music from the 60s - prog rock etc up to Recent recordings by (eg London Grammar - very dark - very deep).

I do think it's rude to criticise the intellect of others because they don't listen (or haven't progressed to listening) a great deal of classical music etc.

A lot of music from the 60s onwards does stand the test of time ( early Crosby Stills and Nash, Van Morrison, and many many others) maybe it doesn't get played as much (by me). But I would never take a snobbish approach to criticising other peoples taste like you seem to do cse. If you watch a 10cc concert people will clap after each song - a little potted history is nice too. What did you expect you were going to listen too?

all music is for those who choose to listen to it - regards tonky

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Unfortunately, I think that I am. Why aren't you listening to Beethoven symphonies or his late piano sonatas and late string quartets? Then you might actually discover something interesting to contribute.

Returning to the theme of snobbery. I think what you take for snobbery, is actually complete adulation for art forms and artists that rise above the mediocre and actually have something to say that is universal, everlasting and contributes to mankind and the human spirit. As opposed just to being a bit eascapist and fun.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
cse said:
Unfortunately, I think that I am. Why aren't you listening to Beethoven symphonies or his late piano sonatas and late string quartets? Then you might actually discover something interesting to contribute.

Returning to the theme of snobbery. I think what you take for snobbery, is actually complete adulation for art forms and artists that rise above the mediocre and actually have something to say that is universal, everlasting and contributes to mankind and the human spirit. As opposed just to being a bit eascapist and fun.

Wow do you have any idea how dull and pompous you sound? Have you ever heard the term 'each to their own'? Isn't all music escapism whether it's intellectually enriching or just toe tapping fun? Somehow I don't imagine you're the toe tapping fun type.... That said If you love all things Classical then great just don't think it gives you the intellectual high ground over us plebs with wider listening tastes.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

What I can't get my head around is people who like music which doesn't have any melody or lights in your brain moment. It can be a more commercial longer moment to a subtle collection of notes in some original electronic music, but just something you keep coming back for. But there are so many people who can't tell you what that is in music they really like, that I just think (whether I'm right or not) that they just like music that conforms to a style. And it's style over substance. And that's just stuck in a rut over music tastes and meaning you never listen to new stuff. I like to think I'm open minded, and I think the op is.

Alberich

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
The problem with classical music is not the pretentious or snobbery that can inexplicably surround it, but the very fact it is music.

I listen to classical and opera almost exclusively but understand why some folks just can't take to it.

Unlike with other art forms, visual , literary , etc.. were an understanding of the content naturally leads to an appreciation of the artists intent or idea, music is uniquely different.
IMO, the appreciation of music is almost an involuntary phenomenon. Either if resonates and speaks to you or it doesn't.
No amount of intellectual understanding or learning ( with the exception of atonal music maybe ) will help you to aquire a taste for a composer or musician who's note and chord structures just fail to 'speak' to you.
There's many a composer and musician whom i have the upmost respect for and have a great desire to appreciate their sound structures, but can I listen to a note of it it ? No.
I don't think that's my fault, it's just the nature of music.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

But at the same time of moving on to new stuff, I'm not sure people can say they are music lovers if they don't like some forms of classical. Impossible.

Alberich

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
But at the same time of moving on to new stuff, I'm not sure people can say they are music lovers if they don't like some forms of classical. Impossible. 

On the contrary sir.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I always think that there is so much commonality with certain types of music, from genre to genre, that it's quite hard to like a more modern acoustic or instrumental piece without liking an age old classical masterpiece that does things in a similar way, with use of instruments, melodies, structure, etc. So you could like Mike Oldfield tubular bells say, and find quite a lot of commonalities with some classical works. But you'd have to totally ignore all those exquisite melodies and compositions of some classical composers, to just say I don't like classical full stop, and that would be terrible. How about something like Faures requiem etc. Beautiful.

Id draw the line at some current genres like rap, which isn't musically engaging on melody, but if a track came in that was a rap track, with a great tune or something entirely new bolted onto the rap vocal part, I wouldn't exclude it necessarily.

If you went to hundreds of current alternative genre artists across current known genres, from rock and indie to electronic say, and I reckon you'd be hard pressed to find many of them not liking something like a classical opera from Puccini, or a Mozart piece for eg, etc.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
I always think that there is so much commonality with certain types of music, from genre to genre, that it's quite hard to like a more modern acoustic or instrumental piece without liking an age old classical masterpiece that does things in a similar way, with use of instruments, melodies, structure, etc. So you could like Mike Oldfield tubular bells say, and find quite a lot of commonalities with some classical works. But you'd have to totally ignore all those exquisite melodies and compositions of some classical composers, to just say I don't like classical full stop, and that would be terrible. How about something like Faures requiem etc. Beautiful.

Id draw the line at some current genres like rap, which isn't musically engaging on melody, but if a track came in that was a rap track, with a great tune or something entirely new bolted onto the rap vocal part, I wouldn't exclude it necessarily.

If you went to hundreds of current alternative genre artists across current known genres, from rock and indie to electronic say, and I reckon you'd be hard pressed to find many of them not liking something like a classical opera from Puccini, or a Mozart piece for eg, etc.

You mean like this backing loop from JayZ 4.44 without the rapping part ( spoiling it ) .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n4jj0NNXLs

Apart from the terrible distortion this backing track is fantastic, if I could buy the whole backing track without the distortion and without Jay Z rapping on it I would . *smile*

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Electro said:
You mean like this backing loop from JayZ 4.44 without the rapping part ( spoiling it ) .

Apart from the terrible distortion this backing track is fantastic, if I could buy the whole backing track without the distortion and without Jay Z rapping on it I would . *smile*

It seems that I have got my wish. *yahoo*

Just listen to this, WOW !

https://open.spotify.com/track/5JtgrxeDRTTcBsYwKoYb8v

insider9

Electro said:
Electro said:

It seems that I have got my wish.  *yahoo*

Just listen to this,  WOW !

https://open.spotify.com/track/5JtgrxeDRTTcBsYwKoYb8v
I boycott JayZ as I'm fuming about all notifications on Tidal when his new releases appear. I have not much interest anyway but don't like being treated like a I'm on Tidal because of JayZ. I'm not. Why didn't I get a notification when Steven Wilson's new album was released...

This track is gorgeous. Only listened to it on my phone but really enjoyed it. I will be listening to the whole album on my hifi shortly.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

The race for space album by public Service broadcasting is bloody good. Been getting into it after every valley album, dam good too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts