New Mission 700's

FMIB

Dec 3, 2021
Visit site
The new Mission 700's retail for £1299, wow.
The originals were part of my first hifi set up which consisted of a Dual 505 turntable and a NAD 3020 amp.
From memory the 3 items came to just under £300 as that was the limit on my first credit card.

That's a significant price increase for what was an entry level speaker

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
I saw that. Very interesting. I have IAG group speakers and Peter J Comeau knows a thing or two about speaker design.

Oddly enough, I brought these up in a thread over at PFM and they elicited nothing but negative responses ... .

I am very tempted to try these 700's. There seems a lot of good engineering in there.

As to 'That's a significant price increase for what was an entry level speaker' yes it is but unless you've lived under a rock for the last 4 decades that period of time will go some way of explaining why. I somehow also doubt it will sound anything like entry level but am happy to put my money where my mouth is to find out.

The only thing I may have an issue with is the front baffle. I guess a grille can sort this out.

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneKerr
The latest Mission speakers are far from entry level as the prices clearly show.
the may have the same names and approximate dimensions of older models but that's about as far as it goes.
I guess nobody is going to set out to buy these speakers purely because of their looks or their name.
I am keenly awaiting a time when I can audition the new Epos ES14N

I know they’re bigger and better, but I saw a pair of old 770s at the weekend, asking price £100. The 1980 Hifi Yearbook had them listed at £375.

Inflation would put them at around £1800 today, but so much has changed in the meantime. With most Hifi, I reckon thirty to forty years on you need to add a zero to the price, some even more! I guess that’s more akin to house price inflation in the UK.

Reactions: WayneKerr

Gray

I had the original 700s.
Quite liked the sound. After years (when I no longer owned them) the driver surrounds crumbled to dust - so they were given back to me 🙂

The crossover was a few ropey looking bits roughly glued to a scrappy, thin bit of chipboard - so that will have changed in the new model.

Here's what's left of them after adaption to add-on horns 😁
IMG_20221004_111854_MP.jpg
IMG_20221004_112141_MP.jpg

matthewpianist

The concept is basically the same as with the Wharfedale Linton 85s - take an old model name and vintage feel but with modern driver and crossover technology. The Linton 85s are very good speakers for the (similar) asking price, so there's nothing to say that these equivalent Mission won't also be.

As with all things hi-fi, it comes down to audition (preferably in-room) and matching.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
it would be interesting to compare my late 90's 700s (black box white cones) to these. The little speakers truly punch above their weight and give many speakers today a run for their money sound wise, build wise they were good but only chipboard. I still use them as a benchmark for budget speakers today dealers are always blown away by their sound. I also use them as a broad stroke for the flavour of sound I like for higher-end speakers. Nice to see the mission name making a come back

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears
it would be interesting to compare my late 90's 700s (black box white cones) to these. The little speakers truly punch above their weight and give many speakers today a run for their money side wise, build wise they were good but only chipboard. I still use them as a benchmark for budget speakers today dealers are always blown away by their sound. I also use them as a broad stroke for the flavour of sound I like for higher-end speakers. Nice to see the mission name making a come back
Indeed, they produced some classics in their time, some of which I have been fortunate enough to own.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts