New member seeks amplifier matching advice

minimalist

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi

I just thought I would say hello, share my thoughts and ask for a little advice.

I discovered this site looking for amplifier reviews. I am hoping to buy something reasonably priced to run a turntable through and power my little speakers. The speakers are Blueroom Minipods which I have about fifteen years. I bought them as nearfield monitors and really like the sound from them. Not too big, but suitable for my purposes (and mine are black which don't look as "toy-like" as the other colour options). The turntable is the ubiquitous Technics SL1210mk2 from my youthful DJ days. I've never really been into CDs or home cinema.

Based on reviews I have read here I will attempt to test the following but would appreciate your opinions and a little advice regarding their suitability.

Marantz PM6004 45w €379

Rotel RA-10 40w €430

Yamaha A-S500 85w €380

Rega Brio-R 50w €669

They are all integrated amps with a phono input and have roughly the same power (Yamaha excepted). They are all close enough in price (Rega excepted). The Yamaha is quite bulky but I really like the half-case size of the Rega and the feel-good factor of owning something made by a small independent company is appealing. Unfortunately the Rega doesn't have a headphone output which might be a problem.

Now my question. I don't really understand how speakers and amplifiers should be properly matched. If I remember correctly, my existing amplifier is 300w and I just tend to be careful that I don't turn it up too much. I have been on the website of the current Minipod manufacturer and the spec states the following

Amplifier requirement 10 - 100Watt at 8 Ω

Nominal impedance 4 Ω

Sensitivity 90dB spl ( 2.83V / 1m )

All of the above amps fit comfortably within the 10 - 100watts but it is the Ω and sensitivity which has me confused. Any advice would be appreciated.

Mini

Back_from_Bose

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
minimalist said:
Thanks for the friendly welcome and informative advice. I'll close the door behind me on the way out. :wave:

Welcome from another new member

The new members section is a bit tumbleweed

You might get better response in hifi section

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts