New Marantz amp

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
PM 6006 is on its way sometime later this year, extra digital input and upgraded parts, I wonder how many other manufacturers have something new on the horizon, would've been nice if they'd up the power, still at 45 watts, will it be the giant killer the 6005 is, I might have considered this if it had more power but I will give it a listen when it comes onto the market.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
gregory said:
PM 6006 is on its way sometime later this year, extra digital input and upgraded parts, I wonder how many other manufacturers have something new on the horizon, would've been nice if they'd up the power, still at 45 watts, will it be the giant killer the 6005 is, I might have considered this if it had more power but I will give it a listen when it comes onto the market.

The 6005 is a giant killer? News to me. Not that it's a bad amp, just a good budget amp. Currently I'd say the sweet point is at the 8005 in Marantz's budget range.

Muddywaterstones

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
I like the Marantz HD-AMP1 too. About the same price as the 8005. Class D, connections for imachines and computers, 32 bit Sabre Chip on DAC duty. The aesthetics pleased me but I'm not sure if it will age well to become a classic, or regress into an ugly eyesore. The sound was good, big and creamy smooth; though I prefer something with more cut.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Muddywaterstones said:
I like the Marantz HD-AMP1 too. About the same price as the 8005. Class D, connections for imachines and computers, 32 bit Sabre Chip on DAC duty. The aesthetics pleased me but I'm not sure if it will age well to become a classic, or regress into an ugly eyesore. The sound was good, big and creamy smooth; though I prefer something with more cut.

this is an amp I'd expect mentioned when discussing giant killers as the reviews are pretty enthusiastic about its capabilities. But I was only talking about the 600x to 800x series. All of the 6003, 6004 and 6005 have sounded like nothing other than a competent budget amp to me. 8003 was crap for the money too.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Never seen a bad review of the 6005 that's why I called it a giant killer, maybe a bit overblown but compared to something like the Nad 3020 or the Pioneer A400 in budget terms it is a good amp, there are many amps that fit into the giant killing territory, in fact to many to mention but one I will mention is the Cambridge Audio A1, low powered no phono stage but for the price Bloody marvellous but in this age of digital and analogue, the Marantz ticks all the boxes.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
gregory said:

Think the Marantz 6000 series amps are all pretty similar, just slight tweak each year and new model, no big deal. Giant killer? Why each year so they can keep winning awards and selling more. Many think they are underpowered. But in a budget system they are ok, with hifi I would take big steps not lots of little steps.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
I agree but sometimes you can only take big steps, one step at a time and yes the 6005 has not been out that long, like the Rega range of decks, I have an RP3, do I want the new P3, no, what I have is perfectly acceptable, it just seems that one day you have the best of the best and then it's upgraded after only a couple of years, but I suppose that's progress, will there be an all in one that makes everything we own redundant.

Dom

BigH said:
...with hifi I would take big steps not lots of little steps.

Too gerenal, with DAC's, amp's and speakers I agree, but try to have fun with cables, mains conditioners and tweaks ect.

I could not justify £500 mains conditioning for example.

matthewpiano

PM6005 doesn't even hold a torch to the Pioneer A400. The Pioneer is a much more capable amplifier in terms of sheer performance and will stand being paired with much more exposing speakers.

However, the PM600x series amps have progressively improved and each step forward has been worthwhile, if not enough to persuade anyone to continually upgrade to the latest version. They are solid and dependable budget amps and as long as they are paired with the right speakers, they are capable of providing a great deal of musical enjoyment.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
gregory said:
I agree but sometimes you can only take big steps, one step at a time and yes the 6005 has not been out that long, like the Rega range of decks, I have an RP3, do I want the new P3, no, what I have is perfectly acceptable, it just seems that one day you have the best of the best and then it's upgraded after only a couple of years, but I suppose that's progress, will there be an all in one that makes everything we own redundant.

What I meant is buy a decent hifi system and then keep it for years then upgrade to something much better. Then get on listening to the music, don't fart around with different cables trying to get this and that better which probably don't make any difference anyway, you missing the point and you will probably never be satisfied. I blame hifi mags, WHF is probably the worst for making out every new model is better than last years, I've read it so many times. Then you get people asking I have the 6004 should I upgrade to the 6005 it gets great reviews. But thats their job I suppose, try to get people to spend at much of their money on hifi.

BigH said:
gregory said:

What I meant is buy a decent hifi system and then keep it for years then upgrade to something much better. Then get on listening to the music, don't fart around with different cables trying to get this and that better which probably don't make any difference anyway, you missing the point and you will probably never be satisfied. I blame hifi mags, WHF is probably the worst for making out every new model is better than last years, I've read it so many times. Then you get people asking I have the 6004 should I upgrade to the 6005 it gets great reviews. But thats their job I suppose, try to get people to spend at much of their money on hifi.

+1 It is all too easy to spend a lot of time wondering if your system could be improved and all too easy to forget why you actually bought it in the first place.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
BigH said:
gregory said:
didn't think I was missing any point or for that matter making a point, I would like to go and buy my dream hi to, but budget and living conditions dictate what I can have and yes cables make some difference to some but it doesn't to others, I am not here to say you should hear this or that to make your system sound better, I had a lovely set up about 10 years ago and would have gladly kept it but I moved and it wasn't possible to keep it where I am now, so I am working in steps to achieve the sound I want where I am now, be it budget or high end.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
gregory said:
didn't think I was missing any point or for that matter making a point, I would like to go and buy my dream hi to, but budget and living conditions dictate what I can have and yes cables make some difference to some but it doesn't to others, I am not here to say you should hear this or that to make your system sound better, I had a lovely set up about 10 years ago and would have gladly kept it but I moved and it wasn't possible to keep it where I am now, so I am working in steps to achieve the sound I want where I am now, be it budget or high end.

quote]

In that case I would be looking at used amps could probably get something quite decent for around £300-£400. On a budget I don't think I would be buying new hifi at the moment. With a TT then the Rega Brio is worth considering.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
gregory said:

I agree with this too, buy the best you can on the basis that it will last you at least (say) 10 years. I don't see any point in getting something that you will want to upgrade or change a year or so later. If you want to 'tinker' buy secondhand.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts