New Linn MajikDS or second hand Akurate DS

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
Cno, thanks for your feedback. BTW do you think that a good fresh Gnocchi would work as well as Ravioli? ;)

:p :p

You will now have quite a system....just don't listen to a Klimax, as it's a big step up again!!

I'm not surprised you found the ADS/1 was a big jump, as it's noticeably than the DS/0, which itself is superior to the MDS. It would have been my choice if I'd realized your budget could stretch.

It's hard to believe until you hear it, but the DSssssss just get better and better as you go up the line.

:cheers:

Cno

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
It would have been my choice if I'd realized your budget could stretch. It's hard to believe until you hear it, but the DSssssss just get better and better as you go up the line. :cheers: Cno[/quote]

Budget? Whats a budget?! I have some vague recollection of that concept.

Could be hiding under that pile of hi-fi shop invoices.

Yes, it was all fairly predictable. I almost didn't listen to it because it was so predictable. But as soon as he talked about the trade in unit I was gone. Hook, line & sinker.

Just have to work out how to actually pay for it! Live on cabbage & two minute noodles for the next few months.

Thanks again

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
It's hard to believe until you hear it, but the DSssssss just get better and better as you go up the line. :cheers: Cno

Will you stop it I only just got my MDSM. I now fully understand why you have 'Evil' in your name. :) :)

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Paulq said:
CnoEvil said:
It's hard to believe until you hear it, but the DSssssss just get better and better as you go up the line. :cheers: Cno

Will you stop it I only just got my MDSM. I now fully understand why you have 'Evil' in your name. :) :)

I reckon he must be on some sort of profit share arrangement! ;)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
Paulq said:
CnoEvil said:

Arghhhhhhhhhh now I also want the Akurate!!!!! :wall:

How would I ever buy the house if I keep spending on hifi?!? :doh:

Would you go for a "simple" Akurate DS/1 or an Akurate DSM?

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
acalex said:
Neuphonix said:
Paulq said:
CnoEvil said:

For me the DS, it will be a music source only, I don't think that I will need all the inputs or the amplifier section.

We have just bought expensive new amps, why would we need another one?

Just look at it this way, the money you save on the buying DS only instead of DSM can go towards your new speakers!!! >)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
acalex said:
Neuphonix said:
Paulq said:
CnoEvil said:

For me the DS, it will be a music source only, I don't think that I will need all the inputs or the amplifier section.

Just look at it this way, the money you save on the buying DS only instead of DSM can go towards your new speakers!!! >)

Ok..just hurt me now...how much would a new Akurate DS/1 be? Any opportunity to find a second hand/ex-demo or it is still to early?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:

There is a small "sound penalty" by going for the DSM, as all that extra gubbins inside the case, slightly takes its toll.....so Neuphonix is spot on ie. Don't get the DSM unless you are prepared to pay a hefty premium for the extra flexibility.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Paulq said:
CnoEvil said:

Try and borrow some Black Ravioli pads to try.....they won't make it into an ADS/1, but it should give enough improvement to make you feel a little less hard done by.

Here is my experience after trying it under my MDS (it goes under the chasis, not the feet):
http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/black-ravioli

iceman16

CnoEvil said:
Paulq said:
CnoEvil said:

Try and borrow some Black Ravioli pads to try.....they won't make it into an ADS/1, but it should give enough improvement to make you feel a little less hard done by. Here is my experience after trying it under my MDS (it goes under the chasis, not the feet): http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/black-ravioli

Cno..

I bet you did'nt try the ravioli under the AMS? they will be overcooked:rofl:

iceman16

Sorry to hijack this thread.. Cno,Neuphonix,Alex,etc.. Im having second thought on buying the Endorphin(£6195) as my main source.My very helpful and friendly local dealer suggests to try the Plinius cd101(£4200) or exdemo and spend the rest for a streamer.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Sorry to hijack this thread.. Cno,Neuphonix,Alex,etc.. Im having second thought on buying the Endorphin(£6195) as my main source.My very helpful and friendly local dealer suggests to try the Plinius cd101(£4200) or exdemo and spend the rest for a streamer.

My view is that a Linn DS is money better spent......but this is hardly a revelation to anyone! :shifty:

I'm delighted that Neuphonix has highlighted just how good the ADS/1 really is, as imo, if you are spending around £4.5k on a source, it is a must listen.

spinaltap

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
While it seems that you clearly have your heart set on buying Linn, why not consider the competition - like Meridian Sooloos?

Their MediaCore 200 is a self-contained system with 1Tb drive, or, their more expensive mult-zone MediaCore 600.

Each one can be controled by iPad, and will give the Linn a run for its money.

http://www.meridian-audio.com/sooloos/mc200.php

http://www.meridian-audio.com/sooloos/mc600.php

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
spinaltap said:
While it seems that you clearly have your heart set on buying Linn, why not consider the competition - like Meridian Sooloos?

Their MediaCore 200 is a self-contained system with 1Tb drive, or, their more expensive mult-zone MediaCore 600.

It's a great suggestion, and often gets overlooked. Do you own one, and have you compared it with the Linn DS?.....and if you have, where in the DS hierarchy would it fit.

It was my impression that it was better than a Majik DS, but not as good as an Akurate DS/1......and is it as flexible with what it can handle?

Cno

spinaltap

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
I will be biased, and claim that the Meridian Sooloos is the equal to, and perhaps better than, the Linn offerings.

I suggest signing-up to the Meridian owners' forum, which has a dedicated Sooloos section, and ask your questions there.

Some dealers, and owners, sell their demonstration and used kit there too.

For example, one dealer is currently selling the outgoing 500Gb version of the MediaCore 200 at a discount over the replacement model.

http://www.meridianunplugged.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

whoam1

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
spinaltap said:

It's a great suggestion, and often gets overlooked. Do you own one, and have you compared it with the Linn DS?.....and if you have, where in the DS hierarchy would it fit.

It was my impression that it was better than a Majik DS, but not as good as an Akurate DS/1......and is it as flexible with what it can handle?

Cno

I am certainly going to compare it against my first choice of the Naim ND5 XS before I finally commit.

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
spinaltap said:
I will be biased, and claim that the Meridian Sooloos is the equal to, and perhaps better than, the Linn offerings.

I suggest signing-up to the Meridian owners' forum, which has a dedicated Sooloos section, and ask your questions there.

Some dealers, and owners, sell their demonstration and used kit there too.

For example, one dealer is currently selling the outgoing 500Gb version of the MediaCore 200 at a discount over the replacement model.

http://www.meridianunplugged.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

Hi there,

I had not really considered the Meridian system, thanks for bring it to my attention. I guess that I had it in my head that they were more of a multi zone set-up which I don't relly need.

The dealer that I bought my amp from push these, so I might go & have a chat with them. They have recently been very supportive so I feel that it would be fair to at least give them a shot.

Having said that I would take something special to change my mind at this point.

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
iceman16 said:

No worries.

Wow, that is one sexy looking CD player!

I would say at least give the Akurate a listen before commiting to that sort of money. My initial thought was that as the DS can handle hi-res files it should sound better than a CDP? But I can see that the Endorphin has 24bit/192hz DACs inbuilt so maybe this won't be true in this case?

Maybe the DS has the edge in terms of ease of use, but the Endorphin is surely streets ahead in terms of eye candy!

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
acalex said:
Neuphonix said:
acalex said:
Neuphonix said:
Paulq said:
CnoEvil said:

Ok..just hurt me now...how much would a new Akurate DS/1 be? Any opportunity to find a second hand/ex-demo or it is still to early?

Hi Alex,

they said that new was $8k australian / about $6.8k euro full retail. I always shop with a minimum 10% discount before I even get started with the haggling.

The trade in is going at $6k Australian / $5.1k euro. They are getting two in & one has already sold!

There is a Klimax renew being sold in the UK :

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/120961107118?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

stevepg1975

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Having recently had the demo of the Sneaky DS (with my Quads and the 109's) and a brief listen to the MajikDSM with the 109's before that. the Akurate must be something else going on what has been said, I couldnt really fault either Sneaky or Majik. I'm glad you got there in the end, unless you have changed your mind in the last few days that is!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
stevepg1975 said:
Having recently had the demo of the Sneaky DS (with my Quads and the 109's) and a brief listen to the MajikDSM with the 109's before that. the Akurate must be something else going on what has been said, I couldnt really fault either Sneaky or Majik. I'm glad you got there in the end, unless you have changed your mind in the last few days that is!

As a matter of interest, in percentage terms, how close to the performance of the Majik DSM, did you feel the Sneaky got....eg. Did it achieve 65%?

stevepg1975

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi Cno,

Thats hard for me to say as I listened to the MDSM a few days before, just to wet my appetite. It was set up when I first went in to get a demo arranged for the Sneaky. What I can say was that the Sneaky gave me the same feeling as when I heard the MDSM. I have kind of pushed the MDSM a bit to the back of my mind as its way above my budget any time soon. Next time I go in I will ask if I can compare as the MDSM with 109's is a fixed demo system he has. If I do I will report back.

I demo'd the Sneaky v's the Simpleaudio (with internal amp). The Sneaky sound and user interface much more to my liking. For 20 watts you can push it to pretty high volumes with it still controlling things very well, much more than I thought possible, even with my Quads, which worked very well with the Sneaky. This was much to the surprise of the guy at Stoneaudio, we both agreed that they were not much behind the 109's. I am sure as I add a Linn integrated or power amp this will change, but for starters it will be a nice set up.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts