New LG OLED TV out!

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

Here:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/televisions/large-screen-tvs-32-and-over/lg-55ec930v-smart-3d-55-curved-oled-tv-10071516-pdt.html

Old one down to £2000!

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
It would help if you explained how this television differed from the other LG OLED that you advertised in your recent other thread "LG OLED TV £2400".
Hi

From what I can gather this one isn't as good an the old one. It still isn't 4K, and from what I hear there is no point of 4K at 55 inches anyway. The motion is said to be bad on both, but especially bad on the newer one. I have a price match with John Lewis, just trying to decide what to do.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
And what are the chances that gel will listen to what you and I suggest? Slim, miniscule, snowball in hell, camel passing through the eye of a needle .... you get my drift.

D

Deleted member 2457

Cheers guys, I appreciate the advice. It has just always looked good when I have demoed it, so it's very tempting. My Panasonic is still great - I agree, but the extra black levels really appeals to me. Decisions, decisions...

What's your opinion on the LG OLED TV? I can't see me being able to afford to get it calibrated.

You did read the overall impression from the TV shootout in Leeds, didn't you? Panasonic plasma was the best overall, unanimously. There wasn't a single participant there who thought LG OLED was the overall winner. And it was the same OLED TV. There's lot more to a TV than blacks. Whites had a blue-purple tinge on the OLED.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
You did read the overall impression from the TV shootout in Leeds, didn't you? Panasonic plasma was the best overall, unanimously. There wasn't a single participant there who thought LG OLED was the overall winner. And it was the same OLED TV. There's lot more to a TV than blacks. Whites had a blue-purple tinge on the OLED.
Yep, cheers BB. I am starting to think I should hold off, and it's now out of stock too. I am just thinking about the price, the next one will probably cost a bit more when it first comes out, and then 4K 55 inches will cost more too, so I am looking at waiting a while. And then price of my Panasonic will probably come down too, and that's not too good, but I suppose it could hold its price quite well.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Gel,

Like you I have been tempted by the lure of a nice new OLED set but at the moment it just doesn't make any real sense whilst the tech is in it's infancy and 4K OLED is just around the corner.
Your Panny plasma is still a brilliant TV and as bigboss pointed out black levels don't equal a great TV. Let the tech develop and some of the issues fixed then seriously think about it, that's what I'm doing and certainly not rushing in at the early adopter stage. Prices will fall too as production yields become higher so just continue to enjoy your current TV...if ain't broke don't fix it my friend :)

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
Gel,

Like you I have been tempted by the lure of a nice new OLED set but at the moment it just doesn't make any real sense whilst the tech is in it's infancy and 4K OLED is just around the corner. Your Panny plasma is still a brilliant TV and as bigboss pointed out black levels don't equal a great TV. Let the tech develop and some of the issues fixed then seriously think about it, that's what I'm doing and certainly not rushing in at the early adopter stage. Prices will fall too as production yields become higher so just continue to enjoy your current TV...if ain't broke don't fix it my friend :)
Cheers mate, I am definitely thinking I will stick now.

D

Deleted member 2457

John Lewis have now removed the page too for the LG OLED TV.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
No point buying 5 inch bigger - need be a 60" minimum otherwise the cost wont support the difference.

A reference image like you should have after caalibration wont be that much different on the OLED to the plasma

A much bigger image would have much more impact for £££ and stop you spending more as soon as this

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
No point buying 5 inch bigger - need be a 60" minimum otherwise the cost wont support the difference.

A reference image like you should have after caalibration wont be that much different on the OLED to the plasma

A much bigger image would have much more impact for £££ and stop you spending more as soon as this
I can't go any bigger because of my stand, 55 inches is my max. I've decided not to bother and to wait. Might be I wait for years now. I don't like the reviews of the new one. Yep, there is nothing wrong with the one I have though. Cheers.

D

Deleted member 2457

I've bought it, being delivered Tuesday! Doh. *smile*

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
I've decided not to bother and to wait. Might be I wait for years now. I don't like the reviews of the new one. Yep, there is nothing wrong with the one I have though. Cheers.

gel said:

Gosh. So your previous decision of yesterday evening, saying that you would maybe wait years, in fact lasted less than 24 hours. Wow. I was halfway though a fairly long response, explaining why (as have bigboss, ellisdj and oldboy) you should NOT by it, but hey, it's your money! I'll now confine myself to saying that it makes absolutely no sense NOT to get your new OLED calibrated, once it's done about 200 hours.

I've now lost the plot slightly between your two OLEDs that you were looking at, so remind us of the model number of the machine that you have bought.

By the way, what will you do with your existing, very very good, Panasonic 50VT65 plasma?

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:
I've decided not to bother and to wait. Might be I wait for years now. I don't like the reviews of the new one. Yep, there is nothing wrong with the one I have though. Cheers.

gel said:

Gosh. So your previous decision of yesterday evening, saying that you would maybe wait years, in fact lasted less than 24 hours. Wow. I was halfway though a fairly long response, explaining why (as have bigboss, ellisdj and oldboy) you should NOT by it, but hey, it's your money! I'll now confine myself to saying that it makes absolutely no sense NOT to get your new OLED calibrated, once it's done about 200 hours.

I've now lost the plot slightly between your two OLEDs that you were looking at, so remind us of the model number of the machine that you have bought.

By the way, what will you do with your existing, very very good, Panasonic 50VT65 plasma?
It's this model:

https://www.avforums.com/review/lg-ea980-55ea980-curved-1080p-oled-tv-review.9969

D

Deleted member 2457

I will first check to see if it's okay, then I will make a decision about the Panasonic, I would like to keep it, but financially not sure I will be able to.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
I don't like to see people getting rid of perfectly good televisions, so I hope that you can keep the Panasonic.

Still, I suppose it's good of you to tell us that you had after all bought the LG OLED, knowing that most people, including me, didn't want you to do that. You could have just bought the OLED and kept quiet about it! *smile*

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
I don't like to see people getting rid of perfectly good televisions, so I hope that you can keep the Panasonic.

Still, I suppose it's good of you to tell us that you had after all bought the LG OLED, knowing that most people, including me, didn't want you to do that. You could have just bought the OLED and kept quiet about it! *smile*
*smile* Sorry. I will be going in my signature too.

buzz_lightclick

Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:

gel said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Gel send back the LG within a week!*mosking*

D

Deleted member 2457

I've cancelled the order, I think you guys are right and I am not sure if the TV stand will go on my AV stand, and I can't buy it from John Lewis.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
Yes, knowing gel, he will return it.

Well bigboss, you turned out to be right, though I bet that even you didn't expect gel to cancel the order before the item was even delivered!!

gel said:
I've cancelled the order, I think you guys are right

Gel, I can't keep up with you, and you have now surprised me, twice. First, in ordering the new LG 55EA980W curved OLED despite everybody telling you not to, and now, in cancelling the order, just as I was getting round to the idea.

I'm not sure which model of OLED it was that bigboss saw at the shootout in Leeds, so I don't know if it was the same as your model, but after you said that you had bought your OLED I went back to your link

http://www.richersounds.com/products/home-cinema/lcd-and-plasma/all-tvs#1

(I selected under "Features" on the left hand side, "OLED".) Frankly, I am very surprised that your OLED, gel, the LG 55EA980W, to which Steve Withers gave such a good review, costs as little as £2K at Richer Sounds! Why is it so much cheaper than the other two LG OLEDs that Richer Sounds lists? What was its price at John Lewis?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts