New HiFi set up is really quiet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I tested this out a couple of weeks ago and the whole thing worked smoothly now post xmas day I set the whole thing up just like last time and my speakers are really quiet despite being on full volume.

I suspect this is an issue with the amp (perhaps it's not getting enough power?) as the various Ohms lights are not lit up at all and other than the incredibly low volume this Turntable/Amp/Speaker setup works brilliantly.

Any suggestions for trouble shooting this? I'm a real newbie at this (naturally) so laymans terms/thorough instructions are really appreciated!:)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Michael Pritchard said:
Ok so I tested this out a couple of weeks ago and the whole thing worked smoothly now post xmas day I set the whole thing up just like last time and my speakers are really quiet despite being on full volume.

I suspect this is an issue with the amp (perhaps it's not getting enough power?) as the various Ohms lights are not lit up at all and other than the incredibly low volume this Turntable/Amp/Speaker setup works brilliantly.

Any suggestions for trouble shooting this? I'm a real newbie at this (naturally) so laymans terms/thorough instructions are really appreciated!:)

Please tell us exactly what turntable and amplifier and speakers you are using (brands and model numbers). I suspect you have your turntable plugged in to an amplifier with no special input for the very low signal.

You might need an external phono pre-amp to go between the turntable and the amplifier to boost (and 'shape' or equalise) the signal to normal levels like you would get from a CD player.

Reactions: GeoffreyW
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Something is plugged in wrongly. Disconnect it, then methodically go back through it.

AND TURN THE VOLUME RIGHT DOWN AND TURN OFF THE AMP BEFORE YOU DO!!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
You know if you're not going to answer the questions people are asking you this is going to take a very long time. What input on the amp are you plugging the turntable into? That TT does not have a built in phono stage so you MUST use the phono input on the amp, otherwise it will sound very quiet.

wilf1234

Dec 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi - did you ever manage to find a solution for this?
My NAD 7130 has suddenly lost 99% of it's volume. Even turned up to the max, I can only just hear sound coming out of the speakers. I've tried different inputs and Speakers on outputs A, B and also the headphone jack. same thing - sound output is a whisper!
Big distortion sounds when I turn the volume knob but then it returns to very very low volume.

Any ideas?
Cheers

Hi - did you ever manage to find a solution for this?
My NAD 7130 has suddenly lost 99% of it's volume. Even turned up to the max, I can only just hear sound coming out of the speakers. I've tried different inputs and Speakers on outputs A, B and also the headphone jack. same thing - sound output is a whisper!
Big distortion sounds when I turn the volume knob but then it returns to very very low volume.

Any ideas?
Cheers
Please note this thread is five years old and certain members may no longer be here.
Please start a separate and new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts