New hi-fi ,components matching.

Mike

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I have no experience in hi-fi,i listen music from my pc through a focusrite saffire le and Ms40 behringer near field monitors and the local hi-fi stores don`t have the products to go and check them ,so i am in the dark here .
The combinations i have in mind are:
1. Marantz PM6005 + Dali Zensor 3
2. Yamaha r-s300(or a-s500) + QAcoustics Concept20
3. Yamaha r-s300 + Monitor Audio bronze BX2
For turntable i`ll go for the Project Debut carbon or the RP1,with rega fono mini A2D
Any suggestions about matcing or other products?
Thank you!

rainsoothe

hi

why do you wanna give up on your active speaker setup? If the Focusrite has at least 1 analogue input, you could get a phono stage for your turntable (like the Rega fono mini A2D or Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 SE) and just upgrade your speakers to Yamaha HS7s or Adam A5x.

If you still want to go the hi-fi route, then I'm all up for the Marantz PM 6005 + Dali Zensor 3 combo, which imo sounds very good in that price range and, for me, betters the Yamaha AS500 + whateverspeakers.

Also, as far as i know, both the PM 6005 and the Yamaha AS500 have inbuilt phono stages, and I'm not sure the Rega mini is such a great upgrade, since it's a pretty cheap one, so you could just try your tt with the phono stages included in those particular amps first. In that price range, Denon PMA 720AE is also a good contender - maybe your hi-fi stores have that? This one also has an inbuilt phono stage.

Too bad you can't audition though, since your ears should be the deciding factor... What brands do your local hi-fi stores have? Also room size, music type and budget limit should attract more educated answers :)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
They might be over budget but if you can stretch to £700 I highly recommend the AVI DM5 active speakers.

Failing that you might be able to find a second hand pair of Genelec 8030 speakers for just over £500.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
They might be over budget but if you can stretch to £700 I highly recommend the AVI DM5 active speakers.

Not only that but the DM5s would also need some kind of pre-amp (or DAC/pre-amp with volume control and at least one analogue input) plus a separate phono pre-amp.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Mike said:
For turntable i`ll go for the Project Debut carbon or the RP1,with rega fono mini A2D

The Marantz PM6005 and Yamaha A-S500 and R-S300 all have a built-in phono stage for your TT, so the Rega Fono Mini A2D would not be necessary.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
steve_1979 said:

Not only that but the DM5s would also need some kind of pre-amp (or DAC/pre-amp with volume control and at least one analogue input) plus a separate phono pre-amp.

He already has a Focusrite Saffire which he uses with Behringer actives.

Mike

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
chebby said:
Mike said:

The Marantz PM6005 and Yamaha A-S500 amplifiers both have a built-in phono stage for your TT, so the Rega Fono Mini A2D would not be necessary.

As i said above i thought that an external phono stage would be better from those that the amps have.I see that i was wrong.Thank you.

Mike

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes,the use of active speakers is no problem,i will look for those suggestions too.

Mike

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Rainsooth thank you too.

Unfortunately the local stores dont have the specific models i am looking for ,they have cheap hi-fi combo systems or very expencive products from a few brands.

Sorry i forgot to mention ,the room size is about 20m2 and the music i listen is rock,metal,jazz and clasical.My budget is about 1000 eyros (800 gbp)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
chebby said:
steve_1979 said:

Groovy.

So he could get a pair of DM5s then. Where are they stocked (in relation to where the OP lives) and how can he demo them against other active speakers at a similar price?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Mike said:
I am from Thessaloniki/Greece,there is only one store here that might have these speakers.

I believe that the AVI DM5s are only sold direct from the UK based manufacturer's own website.

Steve_1979 has already bought a pair so he is better informed about how you could buy them, the cost of postage to Greece and the manufacturer's returns policy (and any 're-stocking' fees and/or return postage costs) if you found that you preferred something else after trying them.

rainsoothe

Mike said:
chebby said:
Mike said:

The Marantz PM6005 and Yamaha A-S500 amplifiers both have a built-in phono stage for your TT, so the Rega Fono Mini A2D would not be necessary.

As i said above i thought that an external phono stage would be better from those that the amps have.I see that i was wrong.Thank you.

Well you're not necessarily wrong, but at that price, a phono stage isn't really a noticeable improvement over a good inbuilt phono stage, which at least the Marantz should have. So were it me in your place, I would look at either 1. Marantz PM6005 + Dali Zensor 3 or XTZ 93.23 MK ii + turntable of your choice, maybe others can suggest; OR 2, if that Focusrite has variable line outs (aka u can control active speaker volume with it) AND has at least 1 line in for a phonostage, then I would look, as I said, into Graham Slee Gram amp 2 SE (for a phono amp) + Adam A5X.

The AVIs might be worth looking into as well, since a lot of people have only good stuff to say about them, but I can't comment since i haven't heard them. About the Adam sound I can say that it's very very precise, with great midrange and stereo imaging is fabulous. If you want something smoother (and cheaper) the Yamaha HS7 are great as well, but sound less liquid then the Adams. Only thing about this setup is that it looks less hi-fi and more pro-studio like, so if that's an important factor for you (for me it isn't), then nevermind this option. But then again, the Adams will hit a bit harder then a Marantz.

Oh, another important thing (I'm not sure about this, you'll have to check for yourself): XTZ is mainly an internet based sweedish company, so there are VERY few dealers around (for some reason there is one in my city, so that's how I got to hear their products). Because of that, XTZ MIGHT have a 2 week home trial thing (but really you should check), and you can get a full refund if you don't like them (check their website for this, or send them an email). This is very good since you get to audition their speakers in YOUR home, which will sound different then a store anyway. So, all things being equal (since you can't audition any of the other stuff anyway), this should really be considered. So IF you can return them for nothing but the transportation cost, then there's nothing to lose, and imo XTZ 93.23 mk ii are better then most (if not all) stuff in their price range.

Mike

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
chebby said:
Mike said:
I am from Thessaloniki/Greece,there is only one store here that might have these speakers.

I believe that the AVI DM5s are only sold direct from the UK based manufacturer's own website.

Steve_1979 has already bought a pair so he is better informed about how you could buy them, the cost of postage to Greece and the manufacturer's returns policy (and any 're-stocking' fees and/or return postage costs) if you found that you preferred something else after trying them.

Thanx for the info mate,i will take a look at AVI`s website,and email them for more info.

Mike

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Don`t mind for the "hi-fi looks" but for the sound quality only.My focucusrite have 2 inputs and 6 outputs so there is no problem.thanx again.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Mike said:

You could probably find some Genelec's to audition in your area but the AVI's are only available to buy online, athough you can return them (minus shipping fees) if you're not happy. The only reason that I mentioned them is because they sound incredible and despite the relatively low price are one of the finest speakers that I've ever heard.

TRENDING THREADS