New hi-fi system for new house

Hello everyone,

I need help in choosing a new system (amp and speakers). Hope I'm in the right spot :)

I'll be moving into a new house soon and I intend to replace my old hi-fi system as well. Right now my listening room is 6,5m by 4,5m and the amp and speakers i use are B&O Beomaster 4400 and Beovox M100-2. They are very good to my ears, very powerful, which is fine, but the problem is they are also big, a bit too big for the room and for the fact that I'm only having parties twice a year (when they come in handy for party music). The current system is also very old which comes with its limitations (non-existent digital inputs)...

The new living room will be slighty bigger in size 6,5m by 8,5m due to an open kitchen.

I would like something smaller, a compact floorstander or a medium standmounter and price range 1000£ for the whole system (+/- 150£).

Was looking at Dali Zensor 3 in combo with Marantz PM6005, but not sure if that's what i need.

Maybe the B&W 683 S2 or Dali Option 6 speaker sets would be a better choice? I wouldn't mind staying with B&O, but maybe moving into their active range. Also the new era of wireless speakers seems like a good way to go (less wire clutter, active speakers, bluetooth convenience).

I let you guys come up with recommendations as you have more experience.

I'm listening to Jazz a lot, Electro, Rock, Trip Hop, Progressive, Ska and some Hip Hop, a very broad range of styles, so what I need is a good allrounder. And as a source there is a Rega RP1 PP, computer and Spotify.

Thanks a lot,

Victor

rainsoothe

Salut! :) I'll keep it in english now.

So what you need is amp+dac+phonostage. I guess you could check out the store that sells Cambridge Audio, Rega and Exposure stuff, allthough I swore I would never buy anything from then, or set foot in that dealership again.

I wholeheartedly recommend jack-fi and avstore if you wanna interact with decent people. My favourite stuff in this price range is Arcam A19 with Focal Aria 906. It has both warmth and rhythmic drive, and great scale and musicality. When you can budget for an Arcam iRdac or at least micromega mydac, do so. Alternatively, check Marantz PM7005 with B&W 685s2 or 684 s2. But try to audition, especially in your own home. It makes a world of difference.

Bafta!

Bonz

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Try looking at the B&W 685 S2 (£500) with a Sonos Connect:Amp (£400) with some good quality cables. Depends on you music sources but this is certainly in budget.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ID. said:
Looking to downgrade for your new house?

+1

Ill add that many here would love a space so large

I would get a powerful amp 2nd hand like a nad c370 or something similar and a good set of floor standers.

If your really after standmounts then have a look at kef r300s as they are small but sound like floor standers(in a way)

gasolin

rainsoothe said:
Salut! :) I'll keep it in english now.

So what you need is amp+dac+phonostage. I guess you could check out the store that sells Cambridge Audio, Rega and Exposure stuff, allthough I swore I would never buy anything from then, or set foot in that dealership again.

I wholeheartedly recommend jack-fi and avstore if you wanna interact with decent people. My favourite stuff in this price range is Arcam A19 with Focal Aria 906. It has both warmth and rhythmic drive, and great scale and musicality. When you can budget for an Arcam iRdac or at least micromega mydac, do so. Alternatively, check Marantz PM7005 with B&W 685s2 or 684 s2. But try to audition, especially in your own home. It makes a world of difference.

Bafta!

He need som serious speaker or else he will miss some bass, those bang & olusen speakers are bass heavy speakers

Special emphasis was placed on Beovox M100's ability to reproduce clean, powerful bass. That is why it was given a ported bass-reflex cabinet with a 30,5cm woofer. The cabinet's volume was 89 litres. Bass response went down to 27Hz (measured at +/- 4 - 8 dB).

http://www.beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=483

bebelacus

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Salut
Guess your room is way too big for standmounts. However, if you want that i agree with the advice above. You can't go wrong with Dali Zensor 3 and Marantz PM7005. I tried this combo in my 7x5 m living room plus a big opening to a 4x5 kitchen. It really filled the room with a sweet sound. They won't go as deep and loud as my Jade 5 floorstanders but this is understandable. But they really do go satisfyingly deep, loud and clear. It was a very sweet combination. The Zensors are quite large for a standmount, 7" woofer. Marantz PM7005 sounds great too. It has a very good DAC in addition, including USB which can handle 24/192 files. It has a phono too for your turntable. I tried it with my Rega RP6 and it was very good. Very well built, Made in Japan etc. The Dali Zensor 3 built in Denmark.
Both Zensor 3 and PM7005 are now discounted at AVStore so you can get them for about 3700 ron or 800 pounds. Keep in mind that they will definitely give you 5-10% discount if purchased cash. Ask them for a home demo. These items are very popular and they have them on display/demo. Sure they can arrange their demo equipment at your new house for a proper test if you are serious about the purchase.
Before buying anything try your old system in the new house. As the living room is considerably larger the b&o speakers might be just fine and not as bass heavy as in your old room. Anyway, i would suggest floorstanders for such a big room

Hey Guys,

Thank you very much for your advice.

Sorry for my late reply, but was busy with moving to the new place.

I managed to go and listen to the Dali Zensor 3 which i really liked, Opticon 6 (which were really sweet sounding), B&W 683 S2 (which are very powerful and have great highs) but one thing kept bugging me... the amount of accessories I need: wires, speakers, amps, DAC, CD player, and so on. They take a lot of space...

I couldn't resist and went afterwards to the B&O dealership and after listening to the Beoplay A9, i fell in love with the sound and design of the thing. It sounded so well, I was sold after the first 3 minutes of listening. I think after I sell my current set-up I 'll get one of these. Since I live in Denmark, the B&O offer on the second market is pretty generous. Also the dealership has demo A9s (MK1) for around 10000 DKK (~1000 pounds) and they offer standard guarantee on them.

I have to say that besides the great sound and nice design I also liked the lack of wires and too many components. It's all clutter free and easy to live with. I only need to find a way to connect the record player to it and then I'm ok.

I know the stereo stage is not the same as with 2 speakers and there are also more disadvantages to this choice, but all in all I think I'll be happy with it.

As alternatives I'm considering the Vifa Stockholm wireless speaker. Vifa is another great danish producer that has been supplying drivers for many famous high-end brands. I haven't had the time to listen to the Stockholm speaker due to my hectic schedule lately, but I plan to do it onver the weekend. The price of this one (new) is similar to the demo B&O.

Another alternative would be the Dynaudio Focus 200 XD. The only (big) problem with these is the price. But if I decide to go for them I need to find a good deal on a demo or a second hand pair...

As always with hifi choices I'm not sure I'm making the best one. Only time will tell.

Thanks again for your good advices :)

Victor

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts