new hdmi cable - new results!

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
not to start another cable debate but .........

right i have just updated my 10m hdmi cable from a Van Den Hul purple cable thats not guaranteed to be 1080p over 7.5m but my projector has always said receiving a 1080p signal to an Atlona 10m cable that guarantees 1440p over 10m and i swear the picture is both sharper and the colours deeper!

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
matengawhat:

right i have just updated my 10m hdmi cable from a Van Den Hul purple cable thats not guaranteed to be 1080p over 7.5m but my projector has always said receiving a 1080p signal to an Atlona 10m cable that guarantees 1440p over 10m and i swear the picture is both sharper and the colours deeper!

Not to start an argument, but a quest for knowledge.

I fully accept an HDMI cable may not work properly.However, digital data tends to fail badly. In other words, if the data representing colour is wrongly transmitted, it wont be slightly less colourful, it will be a different colour altogether (particularly as I believe this is 2's complemented data) or an illegal value. Anyone with freeview will know what happens with signal break up - strange noises and block patterns on the screen.

I have seen some claims of "jitter" - the data is correct but not timely. Again, I don't understand how this would make the picture less colourful or less sharp.

Cnn anyone with more knowledge of digital communications explain how this could happen?

A

Anonymous

matengawhat:

so it is 0-1 or is it 1-0 to atlona.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
well not being an expert, the colour could be down to the fact that the cable and projector i think both claim to offer deep colour maybe the other cable didn't carry it as not got a spec sheet for it to check

i also kind of agree with the above that when previously had faulty hdmi cables I got no image at all not just a broken image

however i do accept the theory of degredation of signal over long distances because i have had long cables that are unable to carry a full 1080p signal over long distances and the signal downgraded to 720p but the identical shorter cable has no issues so must be some truth in it - so if that is true the signal must go somewhere so some cables must be better at carrying a signal than others???

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
I am perfectly happy to believe that some cables don't work or don't work over long distances, just curious about the effect on the end result. AFAIK no source actually supports deep colour at the moment.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i think your poss right on the deep colour thing not supported at min although there is an option on the ep35 but not sure any material that offers it - could be wrong! so prob not that - i don't have an answer and maybe just more noticable as watching an 106inch image using a 1080p projector so the image is far bigger there for each individule pixel will be etc!

Zarn_Smith

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
The video stream is sent without error correction.

So your player is sending these millions of 0s and 1s. Lets take an example for the first pixel on the screen with a value of 100110. If the cable is long or rubbish then it could degrade the signal so the TV thinks it recieves 100100. A very minor difference, it would still be a valid colour, but not quite the colour it should be.

I doubt 1 error would be noticeable but as the hdmi signal gets worse however it will become more and more visible. Still valid data, but degraded picture quality.

A

Anonymous

Let us remember that the 1 and 0s travel from end to end on electic current which on a whole may effect the overall performance of the system if effected by interference, that could be one explanation

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Well I was trying my IXOS cables out on my DENON 2500-BT while I was playing music, the one IXOS cable is copper and is a midrange cable the other is a sliver cable which is a high end version, and after listening to some Cds I plugged them in and out and the end result was that the high end one sounds way more open, more bigger soundstage and a voice clarity that bangs me over the head.

So I thought I would get my mate around and i asked him to just sit in my listening seat and I will play the same 50 seconds of one track over and over swapping the cables, well the end result was that he said the same as me, he never known which cable was which, but chosen the high end one all the time.

The weekend I will try out if the picture is any better compared between the two cables.

So for sound quality there is a marked performance increase in better HDMI cables.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Zarn_Smith:

The video stream is sent without error correction.

So your player is sending these millions of 0s and 1s. Lets take an example for the first pixel on the screen with a value of 100110. If the cable is long or rubbish then it could degrade the signal so the TV thinks it recieves 100100. A very minor difference, it would still be a valid colour, but not quite the colour it should be.

I doubt 1 error would be noticeable but as the hdmi signal gets worse however it will become more and more visible. Still valid data, but degraded picture quality.
As I previously mentioned, the data is 2's complemtented. A one bit change will produce a wildly different value, not a slight change.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts