A

Anonymous

I agree, I was once of those people that did not see a difference, but got a proper one from thatcable and the sky hd tv listings screen was a darker blue and for 5.00 you cant go wrong, very good quality

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Mr Spock:
Which will be a more suitable cable for me?

Why would one cable be more suitable than the other? I'm sure they meet the specs i.e. speed rating cat 2, which pretty much every short 1-2m HDMI cable does. Seriously mate, save your money. I have tested several cables and could not see or hear any difference and I did try! I currently use hdcable pro2 (£10), tmfsolutions.co.uk octava (£15), markgrant (£can't remember) and and a Bettercables job for my projector run as I felt it was worth spending a bit more on a longer cable. All identical to QED etc. etc. and I have compared! However, going by the spec list in your signature, your cables seem to be mentioned more than the kit itself so maybe we're wasting our breath. Why don't you simply try a couple and see if you can tell the difference and keep your favourite?

D

Deleted member 2457

Mr Spock:

Currently I am using the QED Classic HDMI-P cable to link my BD player to my tv. I intend to change my receiver to a new one with DTS-MA & DD-HD. I need to get another HDMI cable. I am torn between the QED NEW Performanvce HDMI and van den Hul HDMI flat.

Which will be a more suitable cable for me?

I would like to get an official word on this if possible please? The post from Mr Spock has highlighted a good point he has the old hdmi cable the classic QED one, which does not mention the new soundtracks on, that does he have to change? Will it sound any different with a 1.3 hdmi cable like my one or the new one he mentions the van del hul cable?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 2457

Also would you need two or just one?

Thanks

The reason i ask is because my dad has one of the above and one chord sliver hdmi cable, not exactly sure here.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
The basic make up of the cable didn't change until HDMI v1.4 where they added some additioned wires for audio return and ethernet. Every other HDMI cable is the same. The tests changed but I severely doubt your older cable wouldn't pass them, so I don't understand the question Gel?

D

Deleted member 2457

Hi, it was "said" to of changed when it hit 1.3 hdmi to include master audio and dolby true high definition soundtrack's.

Something the original hdmi cable did not include or so they were saying

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
As I said the make up of the cable never changed and although there are officially two categories of cable, speed rating 1 and 2, both can carry HD audio. The revisions v1.1, v1.2, v1.3 etc. only apply to the equipment, not the cables, so rest assured any cable that was released before all the v1.3 'hoopla' will still work fine. I'll bet any cable, even the cheapest, nastiest ebay special will pass 1080p/24fps and HD audio. I will concede that some folks have had problems with cheap and nasty cables but these usually manifest in broken connectors long before anything else happens. That is why I always say to buy a decent quality cable from a trusted supplier, preferably with a lifetime warranty and not some no-name ebay job.

Check the FAQ's at hdmi.org and bluejeanscables.com

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I have 2 QED Performance 'P' HDMI's to my amp and Qed SR Reference HDMI from amp to Tv. They all give good results.

But I must say the biggest improvement to my system was this weekend when I added a Tacima CS929 mains conditioner, amazing.

PS all you doubters, my wife, mother, brother,kids and 24 tropical fish cannot be wrong.

I suggest as well as your new HDMI, get one of these.

Not sure on the 1.3 issue.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
On my V+ box, I have recently changed my QED Classic HDMI-P to a Chord Supershield HDMI, Differences to my eyes:-

Motion handling is better especially during panning shots (ie football)

Image is slightly crisper and the colours more vivid

Sonically is the big difference though, there is much much dynamics (oomph) to the sound as well as excellent detail levels.

All in all a cracking cable @ well below your budget

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i am getting a 1m chord supershield hdmi in the next 30days as the free gift for joining whathifi mag. What would you upgrade first true blue out of sky hd,ps3,xbox360 to the denon amp.

I'm using vivanco s&i from the denon1909 to the tv but that needs to 2m and the others just the cheapest Cambrigde audio hdmi's you can buy.

A

Anonymous

Unless you have 2 tv's side by side I find it hard to decide if one picture slightly better than another, as by the time I've switched cables / inputs its hard to decide if was any better or not.

A

Anonymous

EvertonMonkey:Unless you have 2 tv's side by side I find it hard to decide if one picture slightly better than another, as by the time I've switched cables / inputs its hard to decide if was any better or not.
its funny , when hdmi tests are being carried out , there would often be two or three or even more tvs lined up , and people cant see a difference between cables ...

but , people who only have one tv , their own , often say they see differences between cables , after switching them around , its funny that ..

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
you dont no how bad some hdmis can be till you spent a day pulling them out from under your floorboards because of little white lights shooting around your screen.

worst bit is ive only brought 1 budget hdmi and all the others have been branded and ive only had one hdmi give me problems.

at least it didnt cost me much.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
smuggs:
i am getting a 1m chord supershield hdmi in the next 30days as the free gift for joining whathifi mag. What would you upgrade first true blue out of sky hd,ps3,xbox360 to the denon amp.

I'm using vivanco s&i from the denon1909 to the tv but that needs to 2m and the others just the cheapest Cambrigde audio hdmi's you can buy.

Smuggs, depends really on what is your main source. The reason mine is on the V+ is because its my Birthday soonish and I am buying myself (via the wife) a Chord HDMI active, so that will connect my BRP to Receiver.

I would say either your Sky HD or the PS3 (i am tending towards the PS3 though as your only 1080P source), sound as well is improved.

A

Anonymous

maxflinn:
EvertonMonkey:Unless you have 2 tv's side by side I find it hard to decide if one picture slightly better than another, as by the time I've switched cables / inputs its hard to decide if was any better or not.
its funny , when hdmi tests are being carried out , there would often be two or three or even more tvs lined up , and people cant see a difference between cables ...

but , people who only have one tv , their own , often say they see differences between cables , after switching them around , its funny that ..

I had 4 x hdmi cables from ukhdmi that were about £5 each and after the review of thatcable, thought I would give them a try I tried pluging them in directly to my tv and then switching them about to see if I could notice a difference and so far cant really. But due to the fact I cant see the 2 pics with each cable side by side cant really decide if one it slightly better than the other.

Now dont get me wrong, I'm not saying that HDMI cables dont make a difference (they probably do, I just cant afford to buy 4 £60+ cables to try), just that I've not seen the evidence to prove otherwise using my setup.

I think the only real test for me personally is if you could see them side by side on exactly the same equipment, as if the difference is only marginal once you switch cables (unless you have a photographic memory), its hard to pick up on what the differences actually are. It would be nice to see a comparison between cables with pictures to point out what makes it better, and due to the fact its such a contentious subject I'm suprised that nothing has been done like this in the mag or elsewhere. It would reduce the number of threads on the subject every week
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

but thats my point , tests like you describe have been carried out , hundreds of em , with several tvs lined up , guess what , no difference ....

A

Anonymous

maxflinn:but thats my point , tests like you describe have been carried out , hundreds of em , with several tvs lined up , guess what , no difference ....

I'm actually open to the fact that they could improve picutre / sound, and I trust the what hifi reviews. But as far as I know there has never been any pictures to prove that the picture is so much better between cables. I understand that it is probably hard to catch the differences on camera, but there must be someway of showing the benefits.

Obviously sounds is a different matter and is probably impossible to prove, other than in the reviews. There must be some way to do this one way or the other and put this to bed once and for all !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts