New gear exciting times ahead.

hilroy48

Sep 13, 2020
Visit site
So my previous system consisted of an Arcam A-49 Integrated amp with B&W CM-10's, wire world power cable and Nordost purple flair speaker and interconnect cables. To be honest it didn't sound too bad yet the speaker placement was wrong for the room etc.

NEW Gear. Sugden SPA-4 Class A amp, with LA-4 Pre amp.

Aqua Lavoce S3 DAC

Dynaudio Contour 20i Speakers.

All new Wire world Power and XLR interconnects. Nordost speaker cable for now.

Room rearranged and room treatment in place.

The Dac and Speakers are still on route from their prospective Countries to Canada. Will give my impression of new gear once i have listened to it for a bit.

hilroy48

Sep 13, 2020
Visit site
My dealer has the same DAC. That speaks volumes when your dealer is running the same brand name gear that he is selling me. He called me today and my Dac has landed in Canada and is on the way to him.

hilroy48

Sep 13, 2020
Visit site
Hello everyone. I got my new Contour 20 i's this morning Nov 14 2020. I have been playing them all afternoon, and i can tell you i am completely blown away by them. I have them placed in the room correctly, and let me tell you my new Sugden gear is more than capable of driving these speakers with little effort. The Sugden amp and Contour speakers are a great pairing, the clarity is insane, the bass is amazing. The speakers are capable of playing a nice warm recording such as Ruth moody, Nora Jones. And then something punchy like Melissa Etheridge and Genesis. I played Chris Isaak Heart shaped world today as well, Incredible. These speakers make you feel like you are at a concert and the stage is right in front of you. The speaker is not harsh or fatiguing in any way. Best money i have ever invested in High end Audio.

Attachments

• Contour4.jpg
    Contour4.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 29
D

Deleted member 188516

Hello everyone. I got my new Contour 20 i's this morning Nov 14 2020. I have been playing them all afternoon, and i can tell you i am completely blown away by them. I have them placed in the room correctly, and let me tell you my new Sugden gear is more than capable of driving these speakers with little effort. The Sugden amp and Contour speakers are a great pairing, the clarity is insane, the bass is amazing. The speakers are capable of playing a nice warm recording such as Ruth moody, Nora Jones. And then something punchy like Melissa Etheridge and Genesis. I played Chris Isaak Heart shaped world today as well, Incredible. These speakers make you feel like you are at a concert and the stage is right in front of you. The speaker is not harsh or fatiguing in any way. Best money i have ever invested in High end Audio.

may i ask is that nordost loudspeaker cable i see ?

D

Deleted member 188516

Yes that is Nordost Purple flair cable. My dealer gave me a set of Wireworld cables to try as well. i will make a decision and do the final cable routing once i choose.

please report back your final choice.

Reactions: hilroy48
D

Deleted member 188516

I went with the Wireworld Equinox 8 Cable, made a huge difference in my gear.

thanks for replying. may i ask how does it differ from the nordost speaker cable ?
(better clarity ?, more tuneful bass ? etc).

hilroy48

Sep 13, 2020
Visit site
More clarity, It just seemed to pull it all together? Hard to explain, the sound is tighter, clamer, very tuneful. It is soft and pleasant to listen too. I am listening to Italian Opera right now and i am almost in tears, i can feel it . I was listening to Leonard Cohen earlier, and i could feel him breathing in my ears thats how clean this system is. I started with the amp and speakers, and each time i added a component it got better. I added the Aqua La Voce S3 DAC and almost fell over. then after an hour of listening i swapped speaker cable and that was the defining factor.

D

Deleted member 188516

More clarity, It just seemed to pull it all together? Hard to explain, the sound is tighter, clamer, very tuneful. It is soft and pleasant to listen too. I am listening to Italian Opera right now and i am almost in tears, i can feel it . I was listening to Leonard Cohen earlier, and i could feel him breathing in my ears thats how clean this system is. I started with the amp and speakers, and each time i added a component it got better. I added the Aqua La Voce S3 DAC and almost fell over. then after an hour of listening i swapped speaker cable and that was the defining factor.

thanks for the detailed reply.

hilroy48

Sep 13, 2020
Visit site
Sorry i may not have described it well, i am not in tune with all the new audio buzz words, lol. All i know is the wire world speaker wire made a huge difference on my system. I spent the whole day listening to music, add a component to the system play the same music again. And was blown away by the improvements of each component. Like i said the speaker cable made me smile. Being an electrician/ electronics tech by trade i can attest to the value of good cables. I have all Wire World power cables with reference ends on all my components as well. There is so much clarity and NO NOISE of any kind on my system now.

hilroy48

Sep 13, 2020
Visit site
Smaller cables have a high internal resistance, so proper wire gauge is critical, and the way a cable is wound or shielded can fend off EMF. Different materials conduct at a different rate as well. I have to use specific cable in my line of work to prevent equipment picking up noise and causing issues. Plus i trust my own ears. Some people cannot physically hear the difference? Power cables with reference ends can make a huge difference. I am not going to debate the fact, each to their own. what works for me in my environment with my equipment may not give the same results to someone else. I always say don't dismiss what you don't understand. I took my first set of Nordost cables home almost 10 years ago, i started with a power cable and good speaker wire. I have been a believer ever since.

D

Deleted member 188516

Sorry i may not have described it well, i am not in tune with all the new audio buzz words, lol. All i know is the wire world speaker wire made a huge difference on my system. I spent the whole day listening to music, add a component to the system play the same music again. And was blown away by the improvements of each component. Like i said the speaker cable made me smile. Being an electrician/ electronics tech by trade i can attest to the value of good cables. I have all Wire World power cables with reference ends on all my components as well. There is so much clarity and NO NOISE of any kind on my system now.

you described the differences well.
once again i appreciated your reply !

Reactions: hilroy48
D

Deleted member 188516

Here you go.

class !

those wire world cable designs certainly look different to the stock "kettle lead" power cable/freebie interconnect/qed 79 strand that is sacred on this forum !

hilroy48

Sep 13, 2020
Visit site
20201118-194603-resized.jpg

20201118-194612-resized.jpg

20201118-194639-resized.jpg

20201118-194656-resized.jpg

20201118-194748-resized.jpg

20201116-111708-resized.jpg

Gray

Power cables with reference ends can make a huge difference. I am not going to debate the fact
...and (God forbid) I (and this forums mods) would not want you to debate the fact 👍
Under the STRICT conditions that nobody can debate your explanation - if you are prepared (and know the answer) perhaps you could give me some info.
I understand the need for screening where appropriate.
However, on your specific statement above, please explain what, on the reference ends, is physically making the huge difference.
You're qualified to explain. As a qualified Electronics Service Engineer, (I'd like to think) I'm qualified to understand your explanation.
If you'd prefer not answer, feel free to say, otherwise I would be most (genuinely) grateful for a once-and-for-all, definitive explanation.
Some people report hearing a difference - but they neither know nor care what's causing it.
You can't be one of those people. Something is going on, what is it?
Remember, you won't be debating , you will be merely educating.
If you do want a debate though, there's a 'mains cable' thread, where there are a few people in need of education.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts