New from Philips

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I wish manufacturers would find a standard and stick with it. But then they wouldn't be able to sell us new televisions every few years.

Here's looking forward to autostereoscopic OLED 21:9 TVs. I fear a barrage of replies will follow suggesting this sounds fantastic.

If manufacturers can ever produce affordable large screen OLED displays, that'll be great, but I could happily live without the other "improvements."

A

Anonymous

Dear Clare, I agree with you as as impressive as the 21:9 screens look who has a room big enough to do it justice not to mention the lover's of foreign films. Also dare I say I see no mention in any of the blogs as to freeview HD tuners for the UK. Just saying that's all

A

Anonymous

Stephen Vann:
Dear Clare, I agree with you as as impressive as the 21:9 screens look who has a room big enough to do it justice not to mention the lover's of foreign films. Also dare I say I see no mention in any of the blogs as to freeview HD tuners for the UK. Just saying that's all
emotion-4.gif

Issue should be solved with the new 50" 21:9, size of a 32" but whider - I say most should have room for that.

Looking at videos at youtube, it seems as the 50" has Ambilight 2, and the 58" has Ambilight 3.

Both sizes are in 7000 and 9000 series design and features ( according to the photos from the event in Barcelona ) 7000 looks very reflective, 9000 looks less reflective. Perhaps the idea is that we now have to pay more in order to not have reflections = pay more for a better picture , or pay more in order also to use it in daylight ?

A

Anonymous

The 21:9 thing is just a matter of personal taste, at the end of the day. Me? I'm all for it. I want the best for movies, and am happy to compromise for normal tv. I don't need my daughter watching peppa pig on a bigger screen, but when I settle down to watch a movie I've been looking forward to, it's then I want the best.

I'm have be credit card at the ready for when the 50" 21-9 gold arrives. But I won't be buying it if it doesn't have a freeview HD tuner or iplayer connectivity. In my opinion both should be a given on any new tv that's not a supermarket budget buy.

Any news on Philip's position on those two?

A

Anonymous

I think when OLED is available in a 50", for less than 100K, the LCD technology will be further improved and at a level close to OLED. In terms of black and contrast its pretty much there, unless you want to measure below zero.

Waiting for the full specs and info on the 50" Gold - still miss a spec representing the degree of reflections in the front screen, there are specs for every thing else - faster than interpreting videos and pictures to see how severe reflections are - and would save a lot of time traveling around to shops.

A

Anonymous

Problem is, that coating on plastic provides limited result, process is inexpensive. On low-cost coating on plastic, you may experience waves in the surface ( present on most Philips 2010/2011 models ).

Coating on glass is much more expensive, more uniform, processed under higher temperature,but is still with limited result. Panasonic made a plasma with antireflex on glass ( think is was made directly in the glass surface ) on their 8000 model - close to the good old LCD matte screens - but according to Panasonic, the antireflex had the side effect that intensity and contrast was influenced ( on an allready "thin" contrast and intensity).

With the new plasma technology with brighter cells and better intensity - one would have expected that Panasonic re-introduced - at least at a few models - but no. Reason probably cause an 8000 did cost 3K and now it cost 1K - Panasonic is now targeting the low-cost segment, a glass front with 8000 antireflex would be too expensive to produce. If they dont want to produce a high-end plasma like the Z-serie any more - they are now a low cost manufacurer on level of Mirai etc.

Lets hope the "digital mirror" yers are now over, and manufaturers gets back to common sence - or at least give the user a choise. The new Acer 5740G has an almost matte screen, so perhaps we can finally continue and move ahead.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
PeterHerz said:
With the new plasma technology with brighter cells and better intensity - one would have expected that Panasonic re-introduced - at least at a few models - but no. Reason probably cause an 8000 did cost 3K and now it cost 1K - Panasonic is now targeting the low-cost segment, a glass front with 8000 antireflex would be too expensive to produce. If they dont want to produce a high-end plasma like the Z-serie any more - they are now a low cost manufacurer on level of Mirai etc.

Total nonsense, of course, PeterHerz: may I suggest you read my blog piece from Japan, posted last week after having actually seen the company's LCD and plasma plants, and talked to the engineers?

I always find facts gained first-hand so much better than idle speculation...

A

Anonymous

With all respect Andrew - therre is a major difference from a high technology production process - and the market they target. High-scale production of low-cost products requires super efficient high-tech production plants with as few hands involved as possible.

Not to say that Pansonic is not capable of producing high-end products - they did, but they have changed their target,

I can asure you, that every tiny little capacitor has been slected with respect to minimal cost - the Pana 50PX600 palsma I have, is over-enginered to last almost forever - time has changed.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I, and I am sure all of the Panasonic engineers, bow to your superior knowledge of their design and production processes.

Now, when can we arrange a trip to see your plasma factory? I am sure there are some engineers in Osaka who'd be fascinated to have an insight, too...

A

Anonymous

What does that have to do with they produce low-cost products ? ( They will bow to me - and I bow to them - thats the culture and respect - I used to sell production equipment for wafer fabs, and was frequently in Japan. I also designed LCD glass etc ).

A

Anonymous

strapped for cash said:
Andrew Everard said:
strapped for cash said:
Here's looking forward to autostereoscopic OLED 21:9 TVs. I fear a barrage of replies will follow suggesting this sounds fantastic.

Tumbleweed_rolling.jpg

As you observe, my post was of no interest to anybody whatsoever.

Given the subject, I find this heartening...

Perhaps people are tierd of hearing about OLED for years - yet we are far from actual products, expect for tiny screens and prototypes.

When they one day - years ahead - have a 50" 12:9 OLED, with MTBF above 8 years on the leds, for 1.5K, call me. But probably the Gold 50" 21:9 LCD comes first - even its in September. After that, it will only be replaced when the old one breaks down or falls off the wall.

A

Anonymous

AndyWright said:
Hahaha That comment made me LOL! I love Philips TVs but not The 21:9.

:bigsmile:

Just to make sure - is your comment related to Andrew´s sarcastic comment no. 25164 - or the sarcastic comment before that, or before that ( suppose even the counter gave up ) ?

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
PeterHerz said:
I think when OLED is available in a 50", for less than 100K, the LCD technology will be further improved and at a level close to OLED. In terms of black and contrast its pretty much there, unless you want to measure below zero.

I seriously doubt the LCD technology will ever be able to muster the (native) contrast levels and response rates possible with the OLED technology.

Price could on the other hand be a problem for the introduction of OLED screens. TVs today are incredibly cheap offering tremendous value. Developing new technology is costly, and surely the first generations of OLED screens will be expensive. The question is rather whether people will be willing to pay the premium for the premium picture?

I could be afraid the answer is no.

TRENDING THREADS