New floorstanders

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:

Big Chris:W.B Square Twos?

Agreed: also, PMC FB1s should fit the bill nicely. Usually a great match for Naim.

I meant FB1i's - as I mentioned, I found the GB1i's a tad lightweight when auditioning a couple of years ago.

T

the record spot

SteveR750:It's only meaningful if the original price was sensible. You might normally expect a price drop this big for something that is either used, or simply didn't sell enough at the original price level. Discounting from however a ridiculous starting point is such a powerful selling technique.

Assuming, of course, that it was ridiculous to start off with. And as the rest of the Leema range sits comfortably in the £2k bracket and then some, suddenly, it's not so ridiculous after all. If you consider that they might've dropped the speakers idea, or just want to clear their stock, then fair do. Maybe they just found that with all the talk around Monitor Audio, Mordaunt-Short, ATC, ProAc, PMC and the other very usual suspects in the £600 - £2k bracket, they were getting into a crowded marketplace.

And yes, looking at them again, for some reason I thought they were a beefier build and less slim. My error and on reflection, I may have been thinking and getting mixed up with, some Epos and Quad floorstanders that enjoyed a decent reduction as well in the last 12 months or so (in Superfi I think). Apologies!

SteveR750

the record spot:
Assuming, of course, that it was ridiculous to start off with. And as the rest of the Leema range sits comfortably in the £2k bracket and then some, suddenly, it's not so ridiculous after all. If you consider that they might've dropped the speakers idea, or just want to clear their stock, then fair do. Maybe they just found that with all the talk around Monitor Audio, Mordaunt-Short, ATC, ProAc, PMC and the other very usual suspects in the £600 - £2k bracket, they were getting into a crowded marketplace. And yes, looking at them again, for some reason I thought they were a beefier build and less slim. My error and on reflection, I may have been thinking and getting mixed up with, some Epos and Quad floorstanders that enjoyed a decent reduction as well in the last 12 months or so (in Superfi I think). Apologies!

Of course, and I didn't state that in this case the starting price was ridiculous, I have no idea since I have never heard them! I am only slightly suspicious because they have been discounted so much - in comparison none of the Spendors se range were discounted as much after EOP - new the S6es were around £1500 IIRC, the cheapest I have seen recently new discounted is around £1100 (think this might have been sevenoaks too) in any case the discount didn't seem to be as high.....agree though that it's unlikely they were "poor" value at the original price, and are probably a steal at the discounted level.l

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
When I was looking for new speakers, I asked a couple of dealers whether I should go for my Kudos or the Leemas, and both said that the Leemas were fine but nothing special.

Messiah

AVI ADM 9.1s plus the matching sub. You could get rid of the amp to raise funds for something else. Maybe Mr E can offer an opinion on that as he has reviewed them recently for Gramophone.

I would certainly recommend an audition if nothing else.

A

Anonymous

those leemas got four stars at £1600 , £699 is £900 less , thats some drop, but has anyone heard them ? does anyone own a pair ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts