New floorstanders

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
After 16 years, I've finally decided to pension off my venerable Linn Keilidhs (I have a buyer). These are the earlier models with soft tweeters, and are bi-wired and on Ku-stone stands.

Budget is around £2k, and I've whittled down a shortlist of possible upgrade candidates to audition, but you know what's coming - does anyone have any other suggestions to go with my Cyrus/Supernait combination. My room is 6m x 4m, with the speakers firing down the longer walls. 80% of listening is classical (including organ), but I also love my rock and jazz. Top of the tree at the moment (based on reviews and recommendations, at any rate) are the Spendor A6's, but I also want to try:

Spendor A5

Neat Elite SX

ProAc D18 Response (although finding a dealer who has both these and the Spendors is proving difficult)

- and maybe one standmount, possibly ATC SCM19

...or, of course, I might just keep the Keilidhs!

I'll also need new cables if I go for the Spendors, so I thought the Naim NAC A5 was a good bet.

Any other suggestions gratefully received[:D]

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Other than the Spendor A5/A6's, ProAc Response D18's, ATC SCM19's (we have all four) and the Neats, you could also try the PMC FB1i. We've had the WB Square Two's in the past, and while they sound great with well recorded music, they really didn't sound too good with anything less. But worth a listen if you can track them down.

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
Thanks David. I wish you were a bit closer! I'm in Berkshire, and I'm already having to travel to Guildford to get as wide a selection as poss (minus the ProAcs).

I sampled the PMC's when I purchased the Naim, but I remember being just a little disappointed with the scale - I used the Haitink Vaughan Williams Sea Symphony opening as a yardstick and the sound just didn't quite do it for me. However, the store also stocks them, so I might give them another go against the Spendors.

Have you heard the Elite SX's yet? I can't seem to find any reviews, but I know Naim/Neat is supposed to work particularly well - then again, so do the others.

T

the record spot

Rarely reported, but the Yamaha Soavo 1.1 floorstanders get a fine review in Hi Fi World, and they're available in a smart piano black gloss finish. Think they're around £2k or so. David Price really rated them and mentioned them again in despatches in this month's mag.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Naxos: Thanks David. I wish you were a bit closer! I'm in Berkshire, and I'm already having to travel to Guildford to get as wide a selection as poss (minus the ProAcs).Sorry! We are about as central as we can get (we'd rather run one store well than expand and affect consistency).

I sampled the PMC's when I purchased the Naim, but I remember being just a little disappointed with the scale - I used the Haitink Vaughan Williams Sea Symphony opening as a yardstick and the sound just didn't quite do it for me. However, the store also stocks them, so I might give them another go against the Spendors.Which PMC's was it that you heard? I personally am not too keen on the DB1i and GB1i due to their smaller drivers. I prefer the models that use the larger mid/bass driver (TB2i and FB1i onwards), so I can understand what you say if you had heard the smaller ones.

Have you heard the Elite SX's yet? I can't seem to find any reviews, but I know Naim/Neat is supposed to work particularly well - then again, so do the others.I have to admit I haven't heard that particular model. But if you did need to hear them at any point, I'm sure Neat would loan us a pair.

A

Anonymous

If you like classical then Sonus Faber, Chario and Vienna Acoustics are your best bet.

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
SteveR750:I'd be interested to hear how the A6s get on with your supernait - I was considering an upgrade to this amp.

I'll let you know how I get on. I'm test-driving on Saturday week, so I'll try and get as many of these recommendations together for a challenging but fun morning!

David, it was the GB1i's I auditioned, so I guess I need to be looking at the FB1i's then, although they're starting to move over-budget slightly, particularly as I have to factor in new cables as well.

Thanks for all the various advice everybody - what with my own research as well, plus a second pair of ears (my wife actually enjoys hi fi auditions!), I'm confident I'll make a good choice.
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi.

I listened to a very similar group of speakers with the same budget. For me the A6s came up top but it's all down to personal choice at that level as all the speakers were very good. Take your own amp/cd player for the demo. Also phone around other dealers before you go and get quotes for the speakers you will be listening to as there are a lot of healthy discounts around. If you intend to buy this weekend tell them, and ask for their best price.

Cheers.

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
Zedrider:

Hi.

I listened to a very similar group of speakers with the same budget. For me the A6s came up top but it's all down to personal choice at that level as all the speakers were very good. Take your own amp/cd player for the demo. Also phone around other dealers before you go and get quotes for the speakers you will be listening to as there are a lot of healthy discounts around. If you intend to buy this weekend tell them, and ask for their best price.

Cheers.

Yeah, I can't wait to hear them! If only my dealer did the ProAcs, life would be simple. Still, they already stock Cyrus, Naim and Linn, and even have some old Keilidhs in store (later tweeters, but near enough I reckon), so no need to haul gear, thankfully. I've also checked prices, particularly as the Spendors appear to have sneakily increased by £100 while I wasn't looking. They have a pair of A6's in the right colour on demonstration, so that would be ideal, particularly as they said they'd make me a good offer on the Linns for p/x.

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Sorry Ive said it before and Ill say it again heard all of those except the Naim but Proac is never a bad choice. Never say never as always and those other speakers are all really good but take the time to drive for those Proac's.

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
Mike_Schmidt:Sorry Ive said it before and Ill say it again heard all of those except the Naim but Proac is never a bad choice. Never say never as always and those other speakers are all really good but take the time to drive for those Proac's.

Yes, I intend to. My local Audio T in Basingstoke stocks them, but they have to ship over the Spendors from their Cheltenham branch if I want to listen to them together, which is fine if I go for the ProAcs but I can't actually purchase the Spendors from them in the Basingstoke store
emotion-39.gif
I shall persevere though...this is going to be a really long-term purchase so I need to get it right - and living with the Linns for a bit longer isn't exactly a hardship!

T

the record spot

Forgot to mention these earlier, but did a few moments ago in another thread; the Leema Xone floorstander, worth a look at £850 down from £2000 perhaps? If they turn out to be as good as their Xero standmount and suits your tastes, it might be an option worth considering?

A

Anonymous

an £1150 drop
emotion-3.gif
, you wonder what kind of profit is in these kind of products for them to drop so much , but yet seemingly be profitable for maker , seller ?

T

the record spot

Yep, could be any number of reasons, but maybe Leema have decided to drop out of the speaker design game, maybe they've a new line coming out (although this deal's been going a while now) but we'll see. Great deal though if they're good at what they do!

A

Anonymous

well from what i can gather their other products , pulse , tacuna , xero etc are all very good , so yes if i were looking for floorstanders in the uk id defo at least demo , dont think ive ever seen a fellow forumite with them in his/her sig though
emotion-40.gif

Cold Roses

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
the record spot:Forgot to mention these earlier, but did a few moments ago in another thread; the Leema Xone floorstander, worth a look at £850 down from £2000 perhaps? If they turn out to be as good as their Xero standmount and suits your tastes, it might be an option worth considering?

Sevenoaks Hi Fi in Brighton actually have them at £699 at the moment, which is just incredible value for money. I'm in no way connected with the shop by the way, but have been eyeing these myself.

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
the record spot:Forgot to mention these earlier, but did a few moments ago in another thread; the Leema Xone floorstander, worth a look at £850 down from £2000 perhaps? If they turn out to be as good as their Xero standmount and suits your tastes, it might be an option worth considering?

Thanks RS! Looking at the WHF review, I'm just wondering if they'll really dig out those deep organ pedals I like as well as some others...that IS a heck of a price drop, though.

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
OK - so the list I've (sort of) finalised for the demo next week is:

Spendor A5

Spendor A6

Neat Elite SX

PMC GB1i

Wilson Benesch Square Twos (hopefully!)

I'll then get a separate audion of ProAc D18's and hopefully that should be that.
emotion-5.gif

SteveR750

Cold Roses:

Sevenoaks Hi Fi in Brighton actually have them at £699 at the moment, which is just incredible value for money. I'm in no way connected with the shop by the way, but have been eyeing these myself.

It's only meaningful if the original price was sensible. You might normally expect a price drop this big for something that is either used, or simply didn't sell enough at the original price level. Discounting from however a ridiculous starting point is such a powerful selling technique.

Cold Roses

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750:Cold Roses:

It's only meaningful if the original price was sensible. You might normally expect a price drop this big for something that is either used, or simply didn't sell enough at the original price level. Discounting from however a ridiculous starting point is such a powerful selling technique.

Totally agree that discounting from a high price can have a massive influence on buyers (it certainly put these speakers in the mix for me when recently considering my upgrade path). I'm really not sure how far the original price of the Leema's was sensible and can only guess at the reason for the massive discounts now. Though, it has to be said even at full price the Xones were getting very good (albeit not outstanding) reviews across the Hi Fi press, which generally take into account the RRP. For example, 4* in WHF when reviewed at £1600, with very similar reviews/ratings in other publications. It would be interesting to hear how the WHF crew rate them at £699.

They seem like a great option if you're after a good quality, slim floorstander, which is musically engaging and favours detail and resolution over bass weight. In this case, it doesn't actually sound like the appropriate speaker for the OP (nor were they for me in the end, actually). Though, I'm sure these will be worthy of a listen for many at the current price.

TRENDING THREADS