New/emerging/non-mainstream artists/bands

• Thread starter Deleted member 160668
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 160668

Being the music lovers we are I thought it would be interesting to create a thread of new or emerging, or not very well known artists or bands we’re into.

Probably loads of amazing stuff I’ve never heard as the artists are not very well known.

So... what cool stuff should I be checking out?

Cheers,

to to kick off from me... I’ve been listening to quite a bit of Normanton Street recently.

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
I recently heard Slaves, quite good, clearly punk influenced.

Dans Dans are well worth a listen, the album Sand is excellent, 3 is not quite so good. Listen to TV Dreams and Waterpoort on You Tube. Jazz, rock, ambient, The Shadows, danse influenced.

There does seem to be a bit of a dearth of good innovative rock music at the moment.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I like quite commercial stuff but alternative music. I've been getting into

- public Service broadcasting, not new but new album - every valley. Rock type electronica

- Japanese breakfast new album. Poppy and electronica, indie rock.

- Juanita Stein, America. Like Americana and country. Some great melodies

- big thief first album. Very nice melodies, very contemporary Americana type country feel too.

- cigarettes after sex first album, dreamed synth pop/rock.

- mogwai new album

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
amormusic said:
Being the music lovers we are I thought it would be interesting to create a thread of new or emerging, or not very well known artists or bands we’re into.

Probably loads of amazing stuff I’ve never heard as the artists are not very well known.

So... what cool stuff should I be checking out?

Cheers,

to to kick off from me... I’ve been listening to quite a bit of Normanton Street recently.

The blog I write features lots of little known artists, mainly of an acoustic nature... Folk, Indie, Indie/Folk, Americana, Alt/Country, Folk/Rock etc

Some I've come across recently are The Little Unsaid, The Littlest Birds, Allysen Callery, Emily Mure, Siv Jakobsen, Kings of the South Seas to name a few.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
jjbomber said:
Leif said:
There does seem to be a bit of a dearth of good innovative rock music at the moment.

Rival Sons, Blues Pills, Eric Steckel, Skam, Serenity, RavenEye, Greta Van Fleet. There is a dearth on the radio but a plethora of good bands out there if you look.

Your post confirms my statement. Blues Pills are very good indeed, but they hark back to classic rock, with echoes of Janis Joplin et al. I will get one or more of thier albums. Eric Steckel is very good, and very much blues cf Joe Bonamassa. I've heard Rival Sons on the radio many times. The others include soft hard rock, nothing innovative. Van Fleet remind me of Led Zep. I hear a lot of recent hard rock on the radio, but it does not appeal to me. The band I mentioned, Slaves, strike me as original and with an edge, something that is lacking today. Just my view, and I wish I was wrong.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Can anyone recommend me something old school but bloody good. Something acoustic and simple but sublime. I’m really getting into nick drakes five leaves left album. Also from the show, the Alan parsons project, eye in the sky. Then too paul simons there goes rhymin Simon Album. Also this group called trees, the album the garden of Jane Delawney. Something on the lines of Tracy chapmans best album, I think called Tracy chapman.

i listen to a lot of new stuff and electronic so it’s refreshing to listen to something simple and Acoustic but very talented.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Can anyone recommend me something old school but bloody good. Something acoustic and simple but sublime. I’m really getting into nick drakes five leaves left album. Also from the show, the Alan parsons project, eye in the sky. Then too paul simons there goes rhymin Simon Album. Also this group called trees, the album the garden of Jane Delawney. Something on the lines of Tracy chapmans best album, I think called Tracy chapman.

i listen to a lot of new stuff and electronic so it’s refreshing to listen to something simple and Acoustic but very talented.

I've been listening to some old acoustic artists today Roy Harper, Bridget St John, Anne Briggs and John Martyn.

Mac

RIGHT AWAY GREAT CAPTAIN

The Church of The Good Thief

a couple of years old now but some finely crafted acoustic songs from Andy Hull of Manchester Orchestra....this is the third album in the trilogy,will be difficult to find a hard copy but it's available on spotify.

D

Deleted member 160668

That’s a fair few for me to get started on. Cheers all.

Got a free day to myself on weekend so will check em out. Sweet!

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Cat Stevens (as he was then) - Mone Bone Jakon and Tea for the Tillerman.

Crosby, Stills and Nash (first album)

Kate and Anna McGarrigle (first album)

Suzanne Vega (first album)

Fairport Convention ( Liege and Lief) - featuring the superb vocals of Sandy Denny

tonky

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Just listening to Pentangle A Maid That's deep in Love, not heard it before, superb!

Also, listened to Harry Chapin Short Stories last night, excellent!

Mac

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
tonky said:
Fairport Convention ( Liege and Lief) - featuring the superb vocals of Sandy Denny
I'm not a hard core folk fan, but some of their early albums are excellent. Their first one too, which is more Grateful Dead, perhaps immitating the American sound. And speaking of the Dead, they are well worth listening to if you like laid back, bluesy, rocky, country influenced music.

Muddywaterstones

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
When I saw the thread title I thought that it was an easy question. I thought I'd reel off a couple of gems no problem. Then I thought about it a bit. It seems if an artist is still alive then it's a bonus.

JJ Grey and Mofro: Bluesy, funky, a lot of filler on about 8 albums but the 30-40% good stuff is exceptional.

Nick Curran and the Nightlifes: Blues with a Psychobilly/Punk twist. Rough around the edges. Just the way it should be.

Oz Noy: Chilled jazz to relax to but which shouldn't put you to sleep: albums Fuzzy and Schizophrenic

As the thread seems to have gone down an acoustic recco route I thought I'd add a few:

Kelly Joe Phelps: Shine Eyed Mister Zen

John Hammond: Wicked Grin

Gabor Szabo: Spellbinder

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts