New DAC Fan

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Messiah

For me the switch to HDD music was done for a number of reasons:

1. The sound quality I get from my Laptop / iPod is very close to the quality I got from my Cyrus CD6s. Granted my CD player was a touch better but that was no enough to really justify keeping it when I could make some money from it.

2. Functionality - as others have posted, I now have my entire music collection available to me from the comfort of my chair via my iPhone. I can set up many playlists for various occasions and I can also stream this to any room I choose.

3. Space saving - now instead of having hundreds of CDs taking up shelf space they are all tucked away in a nice secure storage case.

I have also found that I know listen to more of my music than I did previously. Before I would scan the CDs and just think no, no, no, until I invariably ended up with one of 5 CDs I listen to at present. Now if I don't want to listen to an album or I just want to listen to a particular track it is switched in seconds.
emotion-2.gif

Faffing - to a certain extent there is a small degree of Faff. However, for me in particular it is quite minimal. I used my computer every day anyway and I regularly back up so the Faff that has had a minimal impact. I back up my files each month so if there was an issue an the data was lost (I back up to 2 external HDD's) I would only need to re-burn any CDs burnt in that period. (Faff but I have not had to do it yet)

So basically the sound quality and overall functionality convinced me that my CD player was no longer needed!

(I still have a DVD player so if I ever need to play a CD I can - this will soon be connected to some ADM 9.1's so it will only be a transport.)

Messiah

chebby:Messiah:
JohnDuncan:(1 more down, 5.999 billion to go...)

Another converted here........(so much so I sold my Cyrus CD6s)

AVI ADM 9.1 - On Order!

Hi Messiah.

I seem to remember from previous conversations that we live in the same town (or very close).

Can you tell me if you managed to hear the ADM9.1's locally or did you travel to the factory to hear them?

Chebby/Al,

Once I have them I will report back and give full explanations for my decision to get them. There have been various factors involved in me ordering them (some that defy logic!) and I should have them on Saturday.

(Chebby, I lived in Portsmouth but I have recently moved to Fareham so not too far away still - once the speakers are up and running you are quite welcome to come and listen to them.)

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Yes, Messiah, but about those speakers. What music did you demo them with?

Thanks again Gerrard. The whole lossless format thing is a nightmare too tho. I prefer the idea of FLAC or ALAC as theyre more widely supported i think, so in the windows world you're kinda damned either way. What i was gonna do is use poweramp's duel format ripping to make MP3s and FLACs, then just settle for using MP3s in WMP. Then convert the FLACs to ALAC if ever necassary...Hadnt really given WMAL any thought...

On another note, should have mentioned in my earlier rant that i didnt move from CDs to HDD in the same sense as many here, as the CDP i had before was
emotion-17.gif
a JVC 3 disk changer*...see my point? HDD music, in other words, was my entry into "hifi".

* Tho a very tasteful looking one. I Still like some features about it sleep timer, alarm etc...Had to search hi and low for a radio that do all that when i went DAB in the bedroom...And then i ended up with a massively over-specced Pure...Maybe ill just look for a normal analogue one next time, as it may have more for less, and i only listen to one station...

Good grief, im bitter...

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Messiah:chebby:Messiah:

AVI ADM 9.1 - On Order!

Hi Messiah.

I seem to remember from previous conversations that we live in the same town (or very close).

Can you tell me if you managed to hear the ADM9.1's locally or did you travel to the factory to hear them?

Chebby/Al, There have been various factors involved in me ordering them (some that defy logic!)

Thems the best reasons sometimes
emotion-21.gif

I want to like them so much i may aswell buy blind, but i shant, as its a lot o' money afterall.

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Guys, to a noob like me, this thread is gold dust. as i was looking to get either a new amp

and speakers and keep my old arcam cd player or buy an Arcam solo which the miss us would prefer

and I would like the ipod dock etc. we are big computer users, and its in the same room, but about 15 or so foot away from where i would like my amp/cdplayer and speakers. so can u get hifi quality wireless at all?

or does the pc/laptop have to be plugged into the avi speakers or DAC?

cheers paul

John Duncan

I found the simplest way was to add an Apple Airport Express, which acts as a wireless client and can feed analogue audio to an amp or optical digital to DAC/AVI9.1s.

It has limitations (works with iTunes only unless you add $25 software, no remote control unless you add extra hardware such as iPod Touch) but is good value, and can give spectacular results with lossless files and a good DAC.

Messiah

There are various devices (such as an Apple Airport Express) that you can use to stream music to your amp. I have had good results simply streaming to an Airport Express and connecting this to my amp with a 3.5mm to 2 RCA lead.

You can improve the results though by connecting it to a DAC and then your amp.

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
im not being lazy (honest) but google would throw up so much tutt, if I searched. but if u rip a standard cd to a lossless file. roughly how big are we talking? As I'm wondering if i can rule out one of the many old laptops knocking about in here.

much appreciated, once again.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Messiah:chebby:Messiah:

AVI ADM 9.1 - On Order!

Hi Messiah.

Chebby/Al,

Once I have them I will report back and give full explanations for my decision to get them. There have been various factors involved in me ordering them (some that defy logic!) and I should have them on Saturday.

(Chebby, I lived in Portsmouth but I have recently moved to Fareham so not too far away still - once the speakers are up and running you are quite welcome to come and listen to them.)

Ooooo. I don't live far from Portsmouth. Can I come?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
method man:
im not being lazy (honest) but google would throw up so much tutt, if I searched. but if u rip a standard cd to a lossless file. roughly how big are we talking? As I'm wondering if i can rule out one of the many old laptops knocking about in here.

Standard cd to lossless (WMA lossless for me) is about 25mb per song on average.

John Duncan

method man:

Depends on the complexity of the music, but my lossless files are generally about 60% of the size of WAV.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
method man:
Guys, to a noob like me, this thread is gold dust. as i was looking to get either a new amp

and speakers and keep my old arcam cd player or buy an Arcam solo which the miss us would prefer

and I would like the ipod dock etc. we are big computer users, and its in the same room, but about 15 or so foot away from where i would like my amp/cdplayer and speakers. so can u get hifi quality wireless at all?

or does the pc/laptop have to be plugged into the avi speakers or DAC?

cheers paul

Paul, I've just noticed your question. Yes, wireless streaming with lossless files and a DAC added to a decent amp and speakers is very good indeed. If anything it's better than having a direct physical link from pc to amp.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:method man:thanks john, but I prefer gerrards answer
emotion-1.gif

Yes, his was a bit more helpful on reflection
emotion-2.gif

(23.5meg here)

John, did you just calculate your total HDD and divide it by the number of songs??!

John Duncan

Gerrardasnails:JohnDuncan:method man:thanks john, but I prefer gerrards answer
emotion-1.gif

Yes, his was a bit more helpful on reflection
emotion-2.gif

(23.5meg here)

John, did you just calculate your total HDD and divide it by the number of songs??!

Yeah, have just loaded some onto my Macbook for secret squirrel purposes - 170 songs, 4gig...

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
wow, thats interesting. I had no idea. muddys the water a bit more tho .LOL.

I know, i need a new amp

I know I hate my speakers.

I have an old but decent arcam 7se cd player. But I also have (after a decade of reckless computer use) 1000s of tracks in mp3 format. So whilst i know mp3 isnt hi-fi. i was considering the Arcam solo and ipod dock. also because of the layout of our living room, knowing that my pc cant be near the amp/DAC (only leant what a DAC was yesterday), i was thinking that ipod dock would be best. But if you say i can wirelessly stream to a DAC, either mp3s or lossless of music i actually have the disc for. Then now im thinking blow the budget on just an amp and some speakers a stand alone DAC and some reccommended wireless jobby.

although this is moving away from the 1/maybe 2 box solution that i promised the wife.

A little knowledge really is a dangerous thing. LOL

idc

Messiah:

For me the switch to HDD music was done for a number of reasons:

1. The sound quality I get from my Laptop / iPod is very close to the quality I got from my Cyrus CD6s. Granted my CD player was a touch better but that was no enough to really justify keeping it when I could make some money from it.

2. Functionality - as others have posted, I now have my entire music collection available to me from the comfort of my chair via my iPhone. I can set up many playlists for various occasions and I can also stream this to any room I choose.

3. Space saving - now instead of having hundreds of CDs taking up shelf space they are all tucked away in a nice secure storage case.

I have also found that I know listen to more of my music than I did previously. Before I would scan the CDs and just think no, no, no, until I invariably ended up with one of 5 CDs I listen to at present. Now if I don't want to listen to an album or I just want to listen to a particular track it is switched in seconds.
emotion-2.gif

Faffing - to a certain extent there is a small degree of Faff. However, for me in particular it is quite minimal. I used my computer every day anyway and I regularly back up so the Faff that has had a minimal impact. I back up my files each month so if there was an issue an the data was lost (I back up to 2 external HDD's) I would only need to re-burn any CDs burnt in that period. (Faff but I have not had to do it yet)

So basically the sound quality and overall functionality convinced me that my CD player was no longer needed!

(I still have a DVD player so if I ever need to play a CD I can - this will soon be connected to some ADM 9.1's so it will only be a transport.)

Was cost not a factor? If you already have a PC for other uses adding a DAC in the £100-200 range including some cables, which could include the old ones you were using with the redundant CDP, is way cheaper than upgrading an already relatively expensive Cyrus which was £600 (if my google search was correct).

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
so would a wireless like sonos. sent to the adm avi9.1 give as good or better sound than using a cable?

eg, i have found this bundle. which although a real leap in expectations in just 24 hours. would solve a lot of my installation issues.

http://www.sonos-uk.co.uk/products.aspx?s=21026267_0

A

Anonymous

chebby: Ok I have to click on the 'eject' symbol afterwards so yes it is a bit complicated.

You can set iTunes to automatically eject the CD after ripping - no more complications!
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts