New DAC advice needed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Charlie Jefferson:Sorry if it sounded like I was besmirching your source. Rather I meant to suggest that my pro-Chord DAC comments were not based on a similar set up to yours. My somewhat superfluous use of the exclamation mark probably concealed my meaning.The maximum buffer setting is great isn't it? Vinyl's my favourite medium and for me the DAC gives CDs some of that transcendent, analogue warmth.

Sorry, got a bit defensive there. The more I listen to the Chord, the more I'm becoming hooked. On first hearing it struck me as much too clinical compared to my Sugden. Now I'm really appreciating the added detail and the realisation that warmth, to me, is nothing more than a good combination of balance and musicality i.e. not just emphasis on bass over treble, etc.ÿ

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
maclrc:
I'm warming to the Chord DAC 64 I have out on demo.

Really need some of the guys who have heard this DAC to let me know if it is worth the money (at £850 for a 2nd hand mk II) or whether some of the alternatives mentioned above are better or indeed if it's best to keep the Sugdenÿ

Did you get that deal from someone in the North West? I missed out on a mark 2 for £850 by a day recently! Gutted. Great price.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Well if I was spending this sort of money I'd be looking at the the Benchmark, sure, but have you considered swapping the whole lot out for a Squeezebox Transporter (if you can hack the awful - IMO- aesthetics) or Linn Sneaky DS or whatever it's called?

I'm also wondering whether the new Cambridge might be a giantkiller.........

Do you know where one can see that Cambride DAC online...? I've tried, but im evidently not searching very intelligently.

A

Anonymous

It definitely beats the Beresford in features, and to me is a bit easier on the eye. Not sure about that Wii stand thing though. I guess we'll find out next if it will be a success in the next issue...

madeinstein

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
al7478:JohnDuncan:the Cambridge is "the best of the bunch"...........

Interesting. What does the bunch comprise of?

Musical Fidelity v-dac, CA DacMagic, Beresford TC-7510

and "This is the most expensive DAC on test"

A

Anonymous

Whatty?

You mean MF X-DAC? Different price range? What is most expensive DAC on test? Come on don't play with me I've been waiting for this...ÿ

madeinstein

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Octopo:
Whatty?

You mean MF X-DAC? Different price range? What is most expensive DAC on test? Come on don't play with me I've been waiting for this...

no it says v-dac.. just quoting novembers issue of whf. MF (160£), CA (200£), B (120£), so CA is the most expensive.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Yup some new lower price MF thing. Looks nasty.

MF? Musical Fidelity? Do they do lower priced? Is it well reviewed...?

Dont worry mods, ill still be rushing out to get my copy on Thurs!!!

madeinstein

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
And as someone pointed earlier CA DacMagic (200£) has the same DAC components (Twin WM8740 high quality DACs) as the CA 740C cd player (£499) which sounds promising.

Are there any DAC's in between CA DacMagic price range and Cyrus (1200£)?

A

Anonymous

madeinstein:
Are there any DAC's in between CA DacMagic price range and Cyrus (1200£)?

madeinstein

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
al7478:Octopo:Have you read zis thread? Plenty, is the answer...

The anser to what...?

I think he's trying to answer my question about DAC's in between 200£ and 1200£.

I might be skipping the details but I've only found DAC's which I way more than 1k or the latest part about the sub 200£ ones..

But anyway out of this "plenty bunch" any recommendations?

A

Anonymous

Have a look at Benchmark, Apogee, RussA version of the Stello (or a real Stello), Harmony, MF X-DAC, Lavry (new to me recently)

A

Anonymous

Octopo:It definitely beats the Beresford in features, and to me is a bit easier on the eye. Not sure about that Wii stand thing though. I guess we'll find out next if it will be a success in the next issue...

ÿ

...Don't forget, the beresford has a built in headphone amp, but the USB on the CA is useful.

ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts