New Cyrus One

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Has anyone actually heard and compared the latest cyrus product?

Have read the mag reviews, including the ridiculous HifiWorld one. (Testing the unit with Tannoy GRF90 Prestige).

My local RS only does them as special order.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
muljao said:
Why is that review ridiculous?

Several reasons. First, it's not their usual reference speaker, then it's a true 8 ohm unit at a measured 91db/w, needing little current, after that it's the price of £18k. This is a speaker that is ever only likely gong to be used with valves and not a £700 'class D' integrated.

I think that's enough reason to qualify that review as slightly stupid not to mention pointless for real life use no?

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I agree now that you point that out. I wasn't sure what you meant. Yes it would make sense to test with "likely" gear, maybe throwing on very expensive stuff as a quick refernce after the main event

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
muljao said:
I agree now that you point that out. I wasn't sure what you meant. Yes it would make sense to test with "likely" gear, maybe throwing on very expensive stuff as a quick refernce after the main event

Indeed.

I forgot to mention that the Tannoy is the size of a fridge. Unlikely your typical Cyrus One lifestyle system buyer wants a pair of them in his/her living room ... .

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I'd definetely give this a spin if I was in the market. It got a few favourable reviews, not so much here on whathifi. The remote looks poor, but has a bluetooth controlled app that can be on your phone, pretty handy to compliment its Aptx system

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
muljao said:
I'd definetely give this a spin if I was in the market. It got a few favourable reviews, not so much here on whathifi. The remote looks poor, but has a bluetooth controlled app that can be on your phone, pretty handy to compliment its Aptx system

I never use Bluetooth but the amp does look interesting. No doubt there will be an updated/upgraded model soon too.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
drummerman said:
muljao said:

I never use Bluetooth but the amp does look interesting. No doubt there will be an updated/upgraded model soon too.
I don't use bluetooth much, but did get a chance to use my htc one with aptx (before my phone failed) with an aptx bluetooth device, and I thought spotify was as good as using the CCA. Very surprised how good it was

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Thanks.

It may appeal because it would cut down on one box and a small phono stage. I currently use an 8vs2 plus PSX-R. My current amp has a good headphone out which the new ONE apparently has too.

No programmable input sensitivity but SID reads interesting.

It would obviously have to sound the equal. Need to find out where the nearest dealer is stocking one. Probably Southampton Audio T.

I probably loose interest in a few days :)

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I think I've commented elsewhere on this forum that it's a pity that in addition to the aptx Bluetooth there isn't a digital input or two on this amp. The aesthetic and form factor are very appealing in a lifestyle kind of way but the lack of digital inputs for a typical modern day setup could be a deal-breaker.

Perhaps Cyrus should have released two variants: a Cryus One-A (analogue) for vinyl buffs with the integrated phono stage and a One-D (digital) for those wanting to hook up a TV, chromecast etc. Maybe one day they will but for now, with the current vinyl revival, I hope the One sells well for Cyrus.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
muljao said:
I don't use bluetooth much, but did get a chance to use my htc one with aptx (before my phone failed) with an aptx bluetooth device, and I thought spotify was as good as using the CCA. Very surprised how good it was
I use Bluetooth a lot for everyday listening and I think the quality is more than good enough for internet radio and streaming services. I like the fact that it is device agnostic and doesn't need a network infrastructure to work ... which means I can pretty much use any of my phones, tablets or PCs with it with very little hassle.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
tino said:
I think I've commented elsewhere on this forum that it's a pity that in addition to the aptx Bluetooth there isn't a digital input or two on this amp. The aesthetic and form factor are very appealing in a lifestyle kind of way but the lack of digital inputs for a typical modern day setup could be a deal-breaker.

Perhaps Cyrus should have released two variants: a Cryus One-A (analogue) for vinyl buffs with the integrated phono stage and a One-D (digital) for those wanting to hook up a TV, chromecast etc. Maybe one day they will but for now, with the current vinyl revival, I hope the One sells well for Cyrus.

That doesn't bother me too much. DAC's change, Formats emerge and you can buy very good, cheap DAC's which you can literally hang out the back to hide.

manicm

drummerman said:
Has anyone actually heard and compared the latest cyrus product?

Have read the mag reviews, including the ridiculous HifiWorld one. (Testing the unit with Tannoy GRF90 Prestige).

My local RS only does them as special order.

I disagree, they gave it a glowing review did they not? And it's not the first time a UK rag has done this, I remember they paired my Arcam Solo Mini at the end of £2k speakers! I think they just want to suss out the power handling.

The One actually automatically does speaker evaluation on startup to adjust its power management.

manicm

Al ears said:
alchemist 1 said:
Are there any other matching units proposed in this design ???

Not yet apparently but I feel sure there's some on the drawing board.
They may hit an own goal though, as they already have 3 streamers that cover all actualities, unless they launch something really novel in the One range.

Edit: Only 2 streamers. XP seems to have gone.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts