new cd player

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Guys

I went on saturday to demo new cd players at around 1500 pounds and ended up listening to one costing over twice this. This was amazing and the dealer lent this to me for a week long home demo along with the matching amp. My question is can any one really merit spending the price of a small family car on something they never seem to get enough time to enjoy?

As JD said it's very difficult to justify spending three grand on a player these days - financial endorsement would be gratful.
emotion-5.gif

matthewpiano

stormheader:
Hi Guys

I went on saturday to demo new cd players at around 1500 pounds and ended up listening to one costing over twice this. This was amazing and the dealer lent this to me for a week long home demo along with the matching amp. My question is can any one really merit spending the price of a small family car on something they never seem to get enough time to enjoy?

Its all relative to your personal financial circumstances. If you can buy it and still afford to put food on the table, pay the bills, clothe the family, run your car etc, and if it really is amazing to listen to I can't see any problem. If, however, it means sacrificing the crucial basics in life I'd have to question it.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:Many people spend around that on a football Season Ticket every year....

And at least the same again on travel,booze and food .-I wonder how many of these people think about the content of Matthew pianos last sentence.

matthewpiano

I think there is nothing wrong with investing big money in hi-fi if you can afford it. When you think about how many hours of enjoyment it can give over a number of years it still ends up looking like good value for money.

Lets not forget that there are cars sub-10k which can do the job perfectly competently, comfortably and reliably and yet people still fork out much more than that in some cases to get the extra performance/luxury. That is actually much less value for money than the hi-fi. It will lose more of its value and won't last as long either.

I have friends that can't understand why I spend decent money on hi-fi. They forget that I don't spend £50-£75 2 or more times a week going out and partying. In that comparison, £1k for a CD player and amp looks very good value for money.

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:And if you smoke a packet of 20 cigs everyday, it'll cost you @£2K every year (and kill you!)....

Please explain this to my better half would you, save me some grief ;)

A

Anonymous

The big problem is that I can't afford it and the wife wants work done to house first. If I take up smoking for a day and then give it up I might be able to convince her that I am saving 2k per year.

matthewpiano

stormheader:The big problem is that I can't afford it and the wife wants work done to house first. If I take up smoking for a day and then give it up I might be able to convince her that I am saving 2k per year.

Then don't do it. You're enjoyment is going to be constantly marred by thoughts of how you spent money you couldn't really afford. Remember as well that the law of diminishing returns has really set in at this price range. Your £3k player will be better than the 1.5k one, but not twice as good. Go back to looking at the £1500 players for now. Which ones have you been looking at? What are your thoughts on them? What IS the £3000 player and matching amp?

A

Anonymous

Electrocompaniet emc1 3.5k cd player. Have looked at the cheaper models of electrocompaniet cd players leama stream and roksan caspian and the naim cd5x.Really like the electrocompaniet sound the ecm1 is amazing and some day i will own one

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Do what loads of other people are doing. Get a good second-hand CD player that was a top-of-the-line machine 10+ years ago (for it's build and vastly superior transport) for a tiny fraction of the £3K then partner it with a really good DAC for say £500 to a grand and have something that will be just as good for a third of the price.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts