New CD Player?

Dave B

Feb 16, 2022
Visit site
I currently have an old 90's Technics SL-PS670A CD Player with a Yamaha RN803D tuner and Monitor Audio Silver 300 speakers. I am pretty happy with the performance but wondered if there would be benefit in upgrading the CD player or should I stick with the Technics? Any recommendations for upgrade appreciated also. Thank you.

Dave B

Feb 16, 2022
Visit site
I suspect the DAC in the CDP could be bettered, but whether you'd prefer the sound is another matter. Are you anywhere near a store that would allow a demo, preferably at home? Any ideas about budget, or how you think the sound could be improved?
Thanks, it is difficult to get demos currently, the instore demo I had for speakers and amp wasn't really that helpful but I am very happy with the Yamaha and MA speakers which I ended up purchasing. The best sound quality I am getting currently is from high quality Internet radio channels from the Yamaha. It seems to give more depth and width to the sound compared to the CDP and the TT which I have. Not sure if that description helps. I doubt that going much north of £600 would be worthwhile given the price bracket of my other components.

Basso

Nov 13, 2021
Visit site
You could maybe try the optical out from the CD into the Yamaha to use the Yamaha DAC? Might be a low cost solution but definitely worth comparing with a new transport if you have the cash set aside.

Reactions: SteveH72 and Dave B

Dave B

Feb 16, 2022
Visit site
You could maybe try the optical out from the CD into the Yamaha to use the Yamaha DAC? Might be a low cost solution but definitely worth comparing with a new transport if you have the cash set aside.
Thank you, I will have a look at this. I suspect the CDP doesn't have a digital out but will check.

Dave B

Feb 16, 2022
Visit site
Thanks, yes you are correct. Optical output, I have my TV sound connected to the amp via optical so will try a comparison exercise! Thanks again.

Reactions: Al ears

Dave B

Feb 16, 2022
Visit site
I currently have an old 90's Technics SL-PS670A CD Player with a Yamaha RN803D tuner and Monitor Audio Silver 300 speakers. I am pretty happy with the performance but wondered if there would be benefit in upgrading the CD player or should I stick with the Technics? Any recommendations for upgrade appreciated also. Thank you.

Dave B

Feb 16, 2022
Visit site
Thanks all for your helpful comments and advice. I tried the optical output and a direct comparison between the CD DAC and the Yamaha DAC. I could not discern any difference. Both are "good"! That may say more about me and my old ears than anything else :laughing: I think I will stick with what I have for now and look at the Audiolab CDT if the old Technics breaks down.

matthewpianist

If you do still want to explore a new CD player I can wholeheartedly recommend the Rotel CD11 Tribute. Your Technics player is very good (I had one some time ago) but the Rotel would give you greater clarity and a more punchy sound. It isn't remotely embarrassed by my Naim amplifier.

Reactions: Dave B and nopiano

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts