new cd player please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
System - I've had this setup since 1998 and it's suited me well: Cyrus straight line amp. Epos ES 11 speakers (bought second hand).

Problem is my CD player has just died and my local hi fi doctor reckons it's going to be too expensive to resuscitate compared to what it's worth (the player was a Marantz CD63SE KI sig version to give you an idea of what i'm coming from.).

There's no point in stepping back in sound, even though my ears are 10 years older (and 10 years worse i guess). So what are my options?

Obviously i could go for the Cyrus CD6se. But it ain't cheap.

Are there any other (cheaper) options worth looking at that will see an upgrade on what I already have.

We tend to play everything from crooners to electronica, with the odd orchestral piece in there too. 

all thoughts appreciated 

A

Anonymous

I used to have a NAD542 CD player that sounded good. Would you consider 2nd hand as Cyrus CD8x might be a cheaper option?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano:I'd go with Arcam. You can pick up a used CD73T quite cheaply or, if you want to go further, a used CD192. Either would be a step up from the Marantz.

The CD192 is much better than the CD73 and is far more pacey to boot.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
..... And there are a few on eBay starting form around £400 or so. (your only option for a 192 as Arcam don't make them any more).

I can atest to its greatness. Much better than the 72T I had before (as you would expect for the disparity in price).

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Yep, I had to buy a £2,500 RRP CDP to better the CD192 and even then it's not massively better at all. The CD192 is a very very good CDP for the second hand money.

A

Anonymous

well it looks as if everyone's pointing to the Arcam 192 (or a used Cyrus 8dx).

ÿ

it's a matter of finding one of these puppies now.

ÿ

out of interest, do you have an opinion of the cyrus CD6se? or would the rest of my system let it down?

ÿ

cheers (to all replies).ÿ

ÿ

dÿ

A

Anonymous

it seems my cd player is working again. all it took was my 22 month old to bash it.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts