New CD player needed

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi all. My Marantz CD6002 has died and needs replacing. I currently have a Rotel RA-05 amp and B&W 685 speakers. The obvious replacement is the CD6005 but over the next couple of years i am tempted to upgrade my whole set up. In your opinions would the Audiolab 8200CD give a significantly better sound with my current electrics than the 6005 or would there be little diffference and what about when i get equivalent amp and speakers? I do intend demoing but cant borrow kit or replicate my lounge in the demo room.

Selby

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
Pump for an Arcam CD17, see if you can get hold of an ex-dem unit. I did and it was in excellent condition. Superb built too! its a winner!

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
I also stream from itunes both on PC and my phone through an apple airport express so was thinking that the Audiolab with its built in DAC would do a better job of converting the signal than the AE does. I must admit that i have only really looked online at models recommended in whathifi. £800 each would be about my limit for Cd, amp and speakers. If i went forthe CD17 which amp would you recommend to trial with it?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Have you considered the 8200 CDQ ?

this will increase your options when looking at amp & speakers.

Could go straight into a pair of Active speakers, or

one or two power amps and speakers.

Selby

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
Im not the best to ask about Amplifiers that will match the CD17. However I use a chord CPA Pre-Amp and a pair of Denon Monobloc's and Im very happy with the sound. See your local dealer and see if you can get a demo with a few amplifier options? Do let us know how you get on and report back!

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Is difficult to find a showroom that has all the systems in that i want to try but Frank Harvey in Coventry seems the best option as he can replicate what i have at home whilst trying some different things. Longer term was thinking of some Kef LS50 speakers as well so might try them.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't go for a dedicated CD player, but opt for a universal player such as the OPPO 105. This will give you multiple format playback and also allow streaming, giving you a far better bang for your buck. It is however, rather a lot of money.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Is difficult to find a showroom that has all the systems in that i want to try but Frank Harvey in Coventry seems the best option as they can replicate what i have at home whilst trying some different things. Longer term was thinking of some Kef LS50 speakers as well so might try them.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Overdose said:
I wouldn't go for a dedicated CD player, but opt for a universal player such as the OPPO 105. This will give you multiple format playback and also allow streaming, giving you a far better bang for your buck. It is however, rather a lot of money.

I'm still old fashioned and mainly buy CD's becuase of quality. I do dtream lossless from my computer but have an apple AE for that. Was looking to improve the DAC by getting a Cd player or amp with one built in.Suspect i will try CD6005, Arcam 17 and the audiolab CD player. As a matter of interest if i go for one of those which would you recommend i replace next, my amp or speakers?

Selby

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
I have the Kef LS50's for my home cinema set up. I can fully endorse them. See what Frank Harvey can set-up so you can get the best of the combinations on offer. I will say however, is that the LS50's will require an amplifier that will have some grunt within it. Id love to hear these with a set of Primare A32 amplifiers.......or Musical Fidelity MA8700M mono's......

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
You could get a Marantz Pearl Lite while you still can for about £600. Your 6002 only lasted 5 years? Thats pretty poor cosidering 20 year old Marantz 63SEs are still going.

I would change the speakers next.

If looking at amps consider the Creek 50A which I thought was the best out of many around £500-£1000 amps.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
BigH said:
You could get a Marantz Pearl Lite while you still can for about £600. Your 6002 only lasted 5 years? Thats pretty poor cosidering 20 year old Marantz 63SEs are still going.

If looking at amps consider the Creek 50A which I thought was the best out of many around £500-£1000 amps.

Less than five years i think. Died just days after my Onkyo mini unit cd player bit thedust as well. The Marantz went mid track on a pet shop boys album!! The boss (a.k.a. wife) doesnt want me to spalsh out large amounts of money at one go so the plan is 6 months interest free credit then replace amp then replace speakers or do people think that should be the other way around. I like the sounds that the B&w 685's produce and my speakers are only 2 metres apart and both are close to walls so need some that arent too fussy about positioning. Have found a place closer to home to try the audiolab and CD17 amp. A likely maximum is around £800 for the speakers and the same for the amp. Which at this level shound i listen to? I listen to all genres of music including classical. I like a good dollop of bass and want music to be entertaining rather than clinical.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
BigH said:

Less than five years i think. Died just days after my Onkyo mini unit cd player bit thedust as well. The Marantz went mid track on a pet shop boys album!! The boss (a.k.a. wife) doesnt want me to spalsh out large amounts of money at one go so the plan is 6 months interest free credit then replace amp then replace speakers or do people think that should be the other way around. I like the sounds that the B&w 685's produce and my speakers are only 2 metres apart and both are close to walls so need some that arent too fussy about positioning. Have found a place closer to home to try the audiolab and CD17 amp. A likely maximum is around £800 for the speakers and the same for the amp. Which at this level shound i listen to? I listen to all genres of music including classical. I like a good dollop of bass and want music to be entertaining rather than clinical.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
nopiano said:
Overdose said:
The OPPO 105 has a DAC.

I would endorse this suggestion as although £200 over the op's budget is very versatile and great quality. Just to avoid confusion, all CD players have a DAC, but I imagine you mean it can be used as a DAC with other sources, and as a streaming device.
Yes a DAC i can plug the apple AE into will make a difference so i am told. Useful thing to have. Will try and get a demo in this weekend if the weather is poor.

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure the Audiolab will work particularly well with your current kit. The Marantz 6005 may be a better bet, and I can certainly recommend the Pearl Lite, which I own, and offers SACD playback and digital inputs. I think the Arcam mentioned could work well too. On the other hand, if you are upgrading the amp and speakers soon, the Audiolab might be well suited to whatever you are going to move to. I like the idea too of spending that little more for a volume control eqipped player like the 8200 CDQ, or the OPPO, as this would offer the neat solution of connecting direct to a power amp or active speakers.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
I dont own any SACD's and the only digital input will be from the AE. I do play my TV through the system but that is it. I like the sound of what i have now and want more of the same but a higher quality. Will be going to Coventry as soon as we have a wet weekend!! Plan is to update the CD player first then the amp and then the speakers unless people think the speakers should come before the Amp.

TRENDING THREADS