Advice on CD player

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Please can I ask you good people out there a question? In the event that my Audiolab 8200cd has gone to that great demo room in sky (after only two and a half years) I will need a replacement. NAD 546bee or Marantz cd 6005? I have the Audiolab 8200 amp (waiting for that to kick the bucket too, it's the same age) and a pair of Mission m73i floorstanders. My taste in music? Let's start with pink Floyd and take it from there. I am loathe to fork out more than £500 after my dealings with audiolab-i'm a poor pensioner. Thank you for any suggestions.

T

the record spot

rhysandgethinsgrandad said:
Please can I ask you good people out there a question? In the event that my Audiolab 8200cd has gone to that great demo room in sky (after only two and a half years) I will need a replacement. NAD 546bee or Marantz cd 6005? I have the Audiolab 8200 amp (waiting for that to kick the bucket too, it's the same age) and a pair of Mission m73i floorstanders. My taste in music? Let's start with pink Floyd and take it from there. I am loathe to fork out more than £500 after my dealings with audiolab-i'm a poor pensioner. Thank you for any suggestions.

Yes, well, all that aside, this is where the Sale of Goods Act is in your favour (assuming you've not trashed the thing).

You have six years in England (five years in Scotland) to go back to the retailer (not Audiolab as the contract is with the shop) where you purchased the goods and they are obliged to look into having the item repaired. You have a reasonable expectation that the goods you've purchased should be fit for purpose. The 8200CD wasn't cheap. Don't even think about buying another player until you've gone through your options.

Here's a handy link from the Which site, there's a downloadable PDF from the Gov.uk site too, but this covers the basics. If you paid on HP terms, then the Sale of Goods Act 1973 applies. Either way, you're entitled to have it looked at and fixed. I'm sure Audiolab / IAG would want to see their products last for more than two summers as well!

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
All this is true. Only last March I had a battle with a retailer who refused to replace/repair my faulty HRT streamer for free on account that it was about three days (!) out of its 12-month warranty period. Stay calm and assertive in your emails. Literally point them in the direction of the Sale Of Goods Act if you need to, because you'll be surprised how many retailers don't seem familiar with it or think it doesn't apply.

T

the record spot

For sure. Don't get fobbed off. I don't put up with any of it these days; goods, parking tickets, crap service - they're all up for challenge. I've had half a dozen parking tickets written off, a written apology from Lothian buses in Edinburgh when their driver pulled away from the stop when I was banging on the door to get in (the bus identification number's a great thing - so's onboard CCTV!) and refunds from npower! Don't take any crap, you're due your rights and you've paid in good faith.

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the advice so far. I have got the kind people at Audio T in Cardiff looking at the problem. It appears that this CD player is prone to blowing fuses and/or needing a software update. Perhaps I'm being too pessimistic, although the whole experience has left a nasty taste in the mouth.

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the advice so far. I have got the kind people at Audio T in Cardiff looking at the problem. It appears that this CD player is prone to blowing fuses and/or needing a software update. Perhaps I'm being too pessimistic, although the whole experience has left a nasty taste in the mouth.

jjbomber

You can also claim off your credit card if you bought the Audiolab on your card. You are entitled to the current value, rather than the new value, so it will be about 65% of the purchase price. You will need an independent report confirming it is knackered, but Audio-t can do that. If they charge for this, you will get this fee back on top.

Thropplenoggin

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
BigH

Why do you recommend the Exposure?

I've got my eye on the CA Azur 651C, which has been well received in reviews, but I know that reviews for the Exposure 1010 amp and CD player have been positive. However, spec-wise, it's a bit limited in terms of outputs, inputs, etc. compared to other models.

Do you own it? If so, how do you find it?

Throppers

matthewpiano

I've heard the Exposure CD player with my amp and I thought it excellent, so worth a try. The Cambridge 651C is also a capable machine.

However, I agree with Record Spot that you should really push for the Audiolab to be fixed as failure after that period of time is completely unacceptable. Personally I think they should offer a 5 year warranty like Roksan, or at least 3 years like Exposure. However, the information RS has given you makes warranty slightly irrelevant.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Thropplenoggin said:
BigH

Why do you recommend the Exposure?

I've got my eye on the CA Azur 651C, which has been well received in reviews, but I know that reviews for the Exposure 1010 amp and CD player have been positive. However, spec-wise, it's a bit limited in terms of outputs, inputs, etc. compared to other models.

Do you own it? If so, how do you find it?

Throppers

No not heard it yet just going on reviews and owners feedback. The CA Azur 651C only gets 4 stars in WHF, also I have ?mark over CA relibiality. As I say try it, why do you need so many inputs/outputs? If or when my 20 year old Marantz 63SE packs in I may buy one.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Al ears said:
The 651C only has four stars?

Suggest reading a bit more outside of WHFSAV and actually going to Richer Sounds to audition one might soon sort that one out. :)

Agreed.

If your local Richer demonstrates equipment to the same standard as the one local to me, I wouldn't bother........ :wall:

matthewpiano

davedotco said:
matthewpiano said:
Al ears said:

Suggest reading a bit more outside of WHFSAV and actually going to Richer Sounds to audition one might soon sort that one out. :)

Agreed.

If your local Richer demonstrates equipment to the same standard as the one local to me, I wouldn't bother........ :wall:

Well yes, there is that!! I wouldn't really recommend Richers per se, except for the fact that it is the only place once can try the Cambridge CD player, and it is a decent machine for the price.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
matthewpiano said:
Al ears said:

Agreed.

I had one once, I agree I would not bother, they could not get a lot of things to work. My comment was in response to one about it getting good reviews elsewhere. I went to RS to buy a CA product but neither of the 2 in stock worked, fortunately I tried them in the shop before I took them home, so that was a wasted 90 mile journey.

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
According to Audiolab, my 8200cd player is suffering from software corruption. I am awaiting repair and wondering "how can that happen?". Thank you all for your help and advice. I admit being less than pleased with Audiolab, and I now wait to see how long the 8200amp will last together with the patched up CD player. Finally, big thanks to Audio T in Cardiff for dealing with my problem and Audiolab.

According to Audiolab, my 8200cd player is suffering from software corruption. I am awaiting repair and wondering "how can that happen?". Thank you all for your help and advice. I admit being less than pleased with Audiolab, and I now wait to see how long the 8200amp will last together with the patched up CD player. Finally, big thanks to Audio T in Cardiff for dealing with my problem and Audiolab.

In some way it must be gratifying to know it was not a mechano-electrical problem.

Software eh? I blame the IT boys.... :)

Must visit Audio T (Cardiff) as I've not been there yet (there's something for a rainy Saturday).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts