new cartridge

jordanfx

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
i wish to replce my linn k5 cartridge with a new cartridge,this being about 20 yrs old.what choices do i have.music taste rock/metal.will look at up to about £130.looking at rega,grado,goldring.any advice appreciated.ststem used rega planner 2,rotel 04,ae neo speakers.

Cartridges are hard to advise on as each has its own character, and your system has a particular sound which I am not familiar with. So, some general thoughts, which I hope help a bit.

To keep a family sound look at Audio Technica. There are fans of the basic AT95e, which isn't expensive. There are various tweaks out there, like supergluing in the stylus. AT have a wide range, and look around as prices vary.

The Orofon 2M Red is under a ton, and may be the best at that price. You can upgrade to a Blue just with a stylus change. There's a good blog that you can google about the 2M range.

Grados start around £60, and I have their cheapest, which is way better than you'd imagine. Each model is about £20 or £30 more than the last one. There are 6 models in the Prestige range, really 3 pairs, as the more costly is a selected regular one. So the Gold is a top-spec Silver, for example.

The newer Goldring range is the 2000 series. It seems to be a WHF fave. The earlier 1000 range has its fans too; it starts at the 1006 model (I have an old one, it's good).

Many of the above have reviews on this site.

jordanfx said:
i wish to replce my linn k5 cartridge with a new cartridge,this being about 20 yrs old.what choices do i have.music taste rock/metal.will look at up to about £130.looking at rega,grado,goldring.any advice appreciated.ststem used rega planner 2,rotel 04,ae neo speakers.

Like nopiano says cartridges can be tricky. However, I can fully endorse ClearAudio Classic Wood fitted to my Pro-ject TT. It has impressive detail and betters a price compatible Ortofon (can't remember the model number). Usually retails around the £250-£300 mark. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clearaudio-Aurum-Classics-Woods-V2A-MM-Cartridge-/390357444889?pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ae31de919

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts