New Cartridge or New Stylus for Nagaoka/Ortofon?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm sure this is a familiar theme so apologies if you've heard it before...

A few months ago my kids started getting curious about my old (1980s!) records so I bought a cheapie turntable (Dual something or other with a USB output - looks like a Technics SL1200 clone, doesn't sound like it unfortunately).

Of course now I'm playing my vinyl far more than my CDs and figured that while I'm saving up for a Clearaudio Concept I might at least fit a better cartridge; so out of the attic came my old Nagaoka MP11 and an Ortofon LM30 but with needles that have done far too many hours.

I've searched around on the web for replacement styli and was shocked to see that a new stylus for the Ortofon costs in the region of 180 quid and getting a new stylus for the MP11 seems well nigh impossible...

So it seems like a 'cheap and cheerful' new cartridge might be a more practical solution and I guess it boils down to a contest between one of the cheaper Regas (Bias 2 perhaps) or the Ortofon 2M Red or something similar. Or is it worth searching for a stylus for 25 year old cartridges...or should I live with the AT cartridge that came with the deck and wait a few more years to play my brand new 180g Nick Drake albums I bought six years ago?!

It's been a while since I've studied the world of cartridges so would be glad of any help!

Thanks in advance

John

PS I used to have some RAM LS3/5As until ny wife made me sell them ten years ago... :cry:

A

Anonymous

Thanks for taking the trouble with the search - I hadn't come across that particular site before.

You have of course hit the nail on the head, shopping around I should be able to get a new 2M Red for around £65 - surely a new cartridge would be a better bet for the same money? I remember buying the Nagaoka as my first budget upgrade back in the 80s, I doubt if it would really knock the socks off something modern would it?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for taking the trouble with the search - I hadn't come across that particular site before.

You have of course hit the nail on the head, shopping around I should be able to get a new 2M Red for around £65 - surely a new cartridge would be a better bet for the same money? I remember buying the Nagaoka as my first budget upgrade back in the 80s, I doubt if it would really knock the socks off something modern would it?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts