New cartridge for Sony turntable

F

FunkyMonkey

Hi I have the PHX 500 DSD turntable. It came with a half decent cartridge but the problem is I find something is missing from the music.

I wonder if a new cartridge would help in that regard, and if so, any suggestions please?

As a reference, I had a Project Essential prior with an Ortofon cartridge (Red 2 I think - I know very little about turntable tech) and I liked the sound.

FunkyMonkey said:
Hi I have the PHX 500 DSD turntable. It came with a half decent cartridge but the problem is I find something is missing from the music.

I wonder if a new cartridge would help in that regard, and if so, any suggestions please?

As a reference, I had a Project Essential prior with an Ortofon cartridge (Red 2 I think - I know very little about turntable tech) and I liked the sound.

You might get more replies if you posted this in the turntable subforum.

But to answer some of your questions, the cartridge fitted was probably a cheap Audio Technica so without getting to intricately involved in cartridge setup you need to find another Audio Technica within your budget that weighs the same as the original and has an output of 2.5 millivolts.

However, if you are happy with adjusting tracking weights and all that you can fit just about anything.

Without knowing your budget it is hard to advise further other than to advise against an Ortofon 2M Red

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts